Whats the deal with forward motion?

Got questions? We got answers....
jjon456

Whats the deal with forward motion?

Post by jjon456 »

so tore apart my motor and preped the topend to send off to MR. E Gorr and the suite was closed when I went to double check address and such. I waited untill yesturday when the suite was soposed to be open and no dice. Is he still taking orders? Should I send somewere else?
Lutz
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Lutz »

If it were me, I'd give it a little more time. It is the weekend after all.

I had a great experience with Eric and his work (225 big bore & porting) - I've always planned to send any of my future work to him as well. It's worth waiting a while unless you need your bike back together right away for late fall/winter riding. You'll want to beat the rush before next spring, though...backlogs get huge then.
Keep It Simple Stupid
David_L6
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Whats the deal with forward motion?

Post by David_L6 »

>|<>QBB<
jjon456 wrote:so tore apart my motor and preped the topend to send off to MR. E Gorr and the suite was closed when I went to double check address and such. I waited untill yesturday when the suite was soposed to be open and no dice. Is he still taking orders? Should I send somewere else?
What are you having done? If it's just re-coating cylinder, send it to millenium technologies ( http://www.mt-llc.com/ ).
2000 KDX200 / 2002 CR250 / 2003 CR250 / 2008 TT-R230 / 2011 Brute Force 750 / 2012 Brute Force 750 EPS
jjon456

Post by jjon456 »

Im not in a hurry i guess im having the 240 big bore done. Just wish I would have kept it buttoned up if I had to wait. But ive heard nothing but good things about his work. altho many says co service is laking but who cares as long as I can get it done somethime this winter.
Griffbones
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Griffbones »

Be careful when dealing with Mr. Gorr!
I have complete horror stories from dealing with that guy!
'83 CR60R Fully restored
'97 DR350 (407cc)
2005 KX85 (103.5cc)
2006 KDX 200 (Bone stock other than Jetting, Gnarley woods, Turbine Core II)
2007 250 XC-W (SX head)
jjon456

Post by jjon456 »

any other recomendations?
bmiller

Post by bmiller »

>|<>QBB<
Griffbones wrote:Be careful when dealing with Mr. Gorr!
+1

Check out the crap he pulled with me.

http://www.phospher.com/index.php/2000_ ... 6:09pm_PST
bmiller

Post by bmiller »

>|<>QBB<
jjon456 wrote:Im not in a hurry i guess im having the 240 big bore done. Just wish I would have kept it buttoned up if I had to wait. But ive heard nothing but good things about his work. altho many says co service is laking but who cares as long as I can get it done somethime this winter.
I called Eric for the 240 big bore kit and he said that they stopped making the pistons and sleeves for the 240. Also, the 240 loses tons of top-end power and creates an over square motor. I went with the 225cc with a 200cc jug. Haven't fired it up yet.
jjon456

Post by jjon456 »

>|<>QBB<
bmiller wrote:>|<>QBB<
+1

Holly crap!!
jjon456

Post by jjon456 »

>|<>QBB<
jjon456 wrote:Im not in a hurry i guess im having the 240 big bore done. Just wish I would have kept it buttoned up if I had to wait. But ive heard nothing but good things about his work. altho many says co service is laking but who cares as long as I can get it done somethime this winter.
I called Eric for the 240 big bore kit and he said that they stopped making the pistons and sleeves for the 240. Also, the 240 loses tons of top-end power and creates an over square motor. I went with the 225cc with a 200cc jug. Haven't fired it up yet.
humm really how did you get him to answer? think ive seen and heard enough everything happens for a reason i guess.
jjon456

Post by jjon456 »

bmiller

Post by bmiller »

>|<>QBB<
jjon456 wrote:>|<>QBB<
humm really how did you get him to answer? think ive seen and heard enough everything happens for a reason i guess.
He answers every time I call M-F 10am-1pm PST.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

The 225 is what you want, but WTF didn't you get your own cylinder back?!?!

You don't want the porting polished on a 2-cycle, btw. It's common to port the cyl, and then bead the whole thing when done. I know EG is keen on doing very minor things to the KDX cyl so it should in no way look like a fredette cyl esp when looking into the intake...where he hacks a lot out.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Lutz
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Lutz »

>|<>QBB<
+1

Wow...unbelievable! If that really came out of Eric's shop, then WTF! That in no way resembles what I got or have seen from Eric. Back when he was in Beaver Dam, WI, I was able to drop off and pick up my cylinder in person, and he took the time to talk to me about my needs, and showed me a side by side comparison of the 200 and 220 cylinders, the differences between them, and why the 200 is a better foundation for a big bore. The work I got back is what you'd expect from a pro.

I'm not sure who is doing Eric's plating work now, but honestly those pics look like a major case of replating done very, very wrong. Rookie on the job training? Again...wow!

Are you sure you sent that to Eric Gorr? Not Erik Gore or some imposter?
Keep It Simple Stupid
Griffbones
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Griffbones »

Heck, Eric didn't even send the correct motor back to me! Well it was my cylinder, but someone else's dirty scroungy old bottom end. It took almost three months of no return phone calls and excuses. Finally got my motor back but the work he performed on it was not what I requested at all. He even tried to blame me!
But I do have to say that in the end, he did refund my money, I was stuck with a modified motor that I didn't want , but again, he he was good enough to refund my money. So I had to go out and purchase a new engine to get back to where I wanted to be. :sad:
I think that Eric is a very talented tuner; he built several engines for my buddy that were excellent. That is why I sent an engine to him. Too bad my experience wasn't better. :sad:
Also, I must say that he has written some very good informational books!
'83 CR60R Fully restored
'97 DR350 (407cc)
2005 KX85 (103.5cc)
2007 250 XC-W (SX head)
Lutz
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Lutz »

Too bad to hear things like that. :sad:
Keep It Simple Stupid
Coop
Supporting Member

Post by Coop »

Yeah it bums me out to hear all the bad business decisions Eric has been making lately. About 10 years ago I was active on a dirt bike board that he posted to frequently and offered advice. We talked a fair amount back then and I always liked him. I never would have believed these stories if it hasn't been happening numerous times lately. Sounds like maybe it's time for Eric to rethink his business. Sending back old parts, not completing jobs, sending incorrect parts and/or other folks' engines because he thinks they are good enough etc., all sound like he is burnt out. I know if I sent in a near pristine engine and got someone's funky old one back just because he thinks I should be ok with it because technically it's usable I would be extremely upset.

I was really planning to send my cylinder to him this winter for cylinder porting work, but I am honestly reconsidering that now.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do" - Mark Twain

2003 KDX200
Griffbones
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Griffbones »

I don't think Eric sent me an old dirty engine because he thought it was OK, but rather he got my parts and another persons parts all mixed up.

I would have never gotten my engine back, the other people didn't want to let Eric have my engine back, after all why should they give up this brand spankin' new engine; but fortunately Eric screwed up the shifting mechanism and it wouldn't shift after they installed my engine in their bike, so they had to send my engine back to Eric.

All of this was after I went to great lengths to prove that I was sent the wrong engine in the first place.

Unfortunately Eric had installed a stroker crank in my engine, which was not what I wanted, but that was what I ended up with regardless.

This whole mess transpired over about a three month period.
'83 CR60R Fully restored
'97 DR350 (407cc)
2005 KX85 (103.5cc)
2007 250 XC-W (SX head)
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

What crank did he put into a KDX motor? That would be sweet! BIG mistakes aside of course. I think after moving to IL, and back to WI he posted something on his site that engine rebuilds are getting farmed out to 'trustworthy' source. Well maybe they aren't so great, and maybe the cyl's are going there too? That would suck...He's one of the few I'd let cut on my ports....Plenty of others can do the rest.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Lutz
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Lutz »

After reading this, I think if I ever send engine parts to anyone for service, I'll stamp them with my own identification marks prior to shipment. Along with good documentation, this would assure that if someone tries to pull a switch-a-roo, there'd be proof of it.
Keep It Simple Stupid