Howling noise?

Got questions? We got answers....
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

>|<>QBB<
KarlP wrote:
You can only hear it under a load and during acceleration.
I'm trying to picture using a stethoscope under these conditions.

Thanks for the opportunity to offer a usefull comment :lol:
Thats what I was thinking. :partyman:
Ipaman

Post by Ipaman »

Did you ever figure this out? I am curious what the issue was.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Not yet but it got worse on the last ride. It will make the noise all the time now. More so during acceleration still but now you can hear it in neutral. pulling the clutch in dose make it go away some. I'm thinkin it is time to give it a good bath and do some investigative surgery. :sad:
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

So, I was just out in the garage and pulled the clutch because it had gotten to the point where at an idle you can hear the noise a little and when you start to pull the clutch just past the free play it goes away. The clutch looks brand new! The metal disks don't even look like they are seated in all the way yet! :? :shock: The input shaft has a very little bit of up and down play in it, but it slids in and out about 3/16". Don't know if that is normal or not? I had just changed the oil before the last ride and it had a fare amount of sparkleys in it for only about 3-4 hours of ridding when I had dumped it tonight. I'm thinking about pulling the cylinder next. I don't think it has ever been off in the 10 years of it's life so it wouldn't hurt any way. Mabe I'll get lucky in there and find a bad wrist pin bearing. :hmm: :please:
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Mine was making a howling noise awhile back

Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

>|QBB<[/url]
Mr. Wibbens wrote:Mine was making a howling noise awhile back

Thats what I'm afraid of. The top looks great unfortunately. Guna have to go in deeper tomorrow. What shaft and bearing was that on yours? :doh:
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Any advise on splitting the case with out the "case splitting tool"?
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
rbates9 wrote:Any advise on splitting the case with out the "case splitting tool"?
borrow one. Mine would have never come apart without it
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Would love to but no one I know has one.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Put a want ad in Craigs List, I bet someone has one you can borrow

I put an ad in CL and one on Facebook. I got 3 replies on CL and one reply on FB within a day

Everyone told me it could be done without a splitter. But there aint no friggin way mine would have come apart without it. It sounded like a friggin gun going off when it finally separated!!
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Thanks for the words of encouragement. :please: I have also heard that you don't need one, so I'll give it a try and see if it comes apart easy and if not I will look into finding one.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Just don't be sticking screwdrivers in there thinking you can be careful :wink:
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

NO, that never ends well. I got the engine out tonight and started to tear it down. still waiting on the flywheel puller i ordered to come in and found that the bearing that the KIPS governor rides on is pretty rough sounding. That would make sense that when it started it was a higher RPM noise. I'm still going to split the case to see what is going on inside.
I was looking at the book and it looks like the case splitter is just a H bar puller that I have. :partyman:
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Here's what I used

Hope you did not order the splitter from Tusk, it won't work on a KDX
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
gregp

Post by gregp »

If you are going that far, as to split the cases, you may as well do a complete lower end rebuild with crank bearings/seals, and a rod kit. I know it costs some money, but you will know that you will be good for the next 5-10 years or so.
Just my opinion.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

>|<>QBB<
gregp wrote:If you are going that far, as to split the cases, you may as well do a complete lower end rebuild with crank bearings/seals, and a rod kit. I know it costs some money, but you will know that you will be good for the next 5-10 years or so.
Just my opinion.
Agreed! But, it would have been nice to at least get another month or so of ridding before it gets cold out.
The guy I had bought it off had said that it was barely ridden (I know that is the line you use when ever you try to sell something) But the inside dose look real good so far. But if it sat long enough the bearings could have started to rust up.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Mr. Wibbens,
Do you have to use ICEHOUSE or is that just a suggestion? :lol:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

It's a requirement! :partyman:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I'll have to pick some up. :partyman:
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Got it apart tonight. The governor bearing, crank bearings and one other bearing sound like they have gravel in them. other than that the rest is great.
I did end up having to use a puller to get the case apart, the crank bearings were set in pretty good.

The only thing that I am curious about is where the metal was coming from. Every thing looks good, no excessive play or odd wear? The world may never know.

So, some gaskets, seals, bearings, time.......And oh ya MONEY and she will be back to good.

Could any one tell me for sure what side the KIPS valve with the grove goes on? When I took them apart I kept them separated and when I looked in the book it said that they were opposite from what I had? The engine has never been apart unless the last guy had some secret to get gaskets off with out leaving any marks, or any marks on the bolts. :partyman: :grin: