new to the forum with an 89 kdx 200 and idle issues.

Got questions? We got answers....
Budget_89KDX

new to the forum with an 89 kdx 200 and idle issues.

Post by Budget_89KDX »

I recently acquired an 89 kdx200 with a broken jet needle.I replaced the bgn with a bgp and it runs great plug is nice cardboard color.the problem I'm having is the bike surges up and down slightly at idle.I've adjusted the idle and a/f mixture but it either idles to high or too low and bogs when you rev it.now for the info i have the bike was recently rebuilt by the previous owner.I did a compression test and its got 190psi,there's a dyno port header,pro circuit silencer,boysen reeds,uni filter 45/158 jetting and a bgp jet needle second clip from the bottom.I've checked the kips by reving it to 6k rpm and the rod does move freely.I don't know about exhaust valve I've not removed the header.I hope I've given you guys enough info to get an idea of how to fix it.with my my mods where's a good place to start with the pwk 35mm carb adjustments?I've got the a/f screw turned out one full turn as of now where's a good place to start?thanks for the help and very forum from what I've searched so far.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Sounds like an air leak to me. Pull the stator cover and look for oily residue behind there. While you have it off, grab the flywheel and see if it has any up/down or side/side play.
Tomm9050

Post by Tomm9050 »

not and expert, but it might be running rich.

I just changed jetting (CGK, 40p 150M ) and it runs great so far.
1992 KDX 200; RB head; Fatty pipe; stock carb; Stock silencer

40 / 150 / CGK pos 3
Tomm9050

Post by Tomm9050 »

(3rd clip)
1992 KDX 200; RB head; Fatty pipe; stock carb; Stock silencer

40 / 150 / CGK pos 3
Budget_89KDX

Post by Budget_89KDX »

Ok I've been tinkering with it here's what I've found.no oil in the stator cover good news.I've got the jet needle on the second clip from the bottom what is raising in to the 3rd going to do?also if I screw the a/f all the way in the idle cleans up but its sluggish off idle and bogs and stumbles.sooooo what does that mean?rich on the pilot jet?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

What jets?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Budget_89KDX

Post by Budget_89KDX »

45/158
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Drop that main to a 155 or 150... the pilot sounds OK....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Budget_89KDX

Post by Budget_89KDX »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Drop that main to a 155 or 150... the pilot sounds OK....
ok but why go down on the main if the plug looks good?isn't the main for high speed running?isnt the pilot jet for lower rpms and idle?if I screw in the a/f needle and it clears up to a steady idle wouldn't that indicate pilot?I'm confused please explain?also what will going up to the third clip on the jet needle do?
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I have no idea of where you are at, your location or your elevation... You could be running fat or you could be running lean for all I know.

Your air screw should start at 1 1/2 out and adjust from there... read the jetting guide that is posted above to determine what is going on and how to remedy it.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Budget_89KDX

Post by Budget_89KDX »

I'm in illinois.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Me too! :mrgreen:

My recommendations stand though... I believe your jetting issues are mainly air screw and needle adjustment...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Budget_89KDX

Post by Budget_89KDX »

What part of illinois u in?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Decatur....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

well that's good then about the crank seal (behind the stator cover). Probably in the jetting, yes. And yes, it could be fat, or lean. Hard to tell from here :).

When you said it bogs off idle when you open the throttle, that makes me think "air leak". It also would make me think lean instead of rich. Which doesn't really add up with your jets, since 158 is huge.

155 or even a 150 is a better start point in any case. When you say it "bogs", does it sound hollow before it picks up, or does it like... stumble/sputter?

Are you sure on that compression? 190 is the very highest for usable range on the 89. I wouldn't really expect to see it that high unless the head has been milled or something.
Budget_89KDX

Post by Budget_89KDX »

Used a quality gauge its a snap on I borrowed from a buddy.I don't know the history on the rebuild of this bike.the guy I bought it off of bought it from another guy that did the work but within a month of getting it he broke the jet needle and let it sit.it sounds hollow when it bogs I can't. Seem to find any air leaks I took carb cleaner around the reeds and boot as well as carb and no change in idle.I'm not sure its starting to irritate me I've never been stumped like this.
Budget_89KDX

Post by Budget_89KDX »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Decatur....
no ****!I'm from decatur as well but moved from there to lovington a few years back.I'm in decatur all the time any chance we could meet up and you take a look and give your opinion on what to do?also where do you ride?we do a lot of country cruising.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Sure! We usually ride at South Fork in Taylorville.....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Budget_89KDX

Post by Budget_89KDX »

When would be a good time to meet up I work m-f but I could loader up and bring it iin to town.or you're more than welcome to swing through my place if you're up for the drive?id like to get this thing running correctly before disassembly this winter when I strip it down to be powdercoated and resto modded.if your schedule permits maybe this weekend?appreciate it bro.