Rear Shock Questions

Got questions? We got answers....
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Rear Shock Questions

Post by jafo »

I have an '84 KDX200. I have the rear shock off now and torn down. I Thought I had ordered a new seal kit from RockyMountain. When I got it I found out that it's just the top dust seal and nothing more. I thought I was getting the seals for the piston also. I can't seem to find a kit for this anywhere. The shock was in pretty good shape inside so do I really need them? I could hold my finger over the hole for the bladder hose and I could feel the suction when pulling the piston and rod upwards. The top seal was leaking also, got that seal now, but no seals for the piston.

Also, what brand of rear shock came on these bikes?

Jon.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Did you get the dust seal or the oil seal? I think it is $10 forthe oil seal and $6 for the dust seal or $15 for the pair. I can't remember exactly, though. When you say piston, which one do you mean, body or reservoir? Body, right? Do you mean the piston band with the Teflon coating? It should be about 8mm tall and 1mm thick, something like that, I suppose.

I think it is Kayaba (Ki 'like necktie'-Yah-buh) or KYB.

The parts that are in there are at least 21 years old. I know it costs money, but maybe you can recoup most of it when you sell the bike.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

I got the oil seal. The piston in the actual shock. It has the large seal and I think some smaller seals too, I'd have to go look. I found a guy thats a Racetech dealer close. He's going to put new oil in and recharge it for $55. I'll see if he can help me out on new piston seals.
Jon.
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Oh, got the bottom out bumper also i'll install.

Jon.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I have never had an '85 shock, so my '87 info may or may not apply. On my '87's, they have one split piston band and one non-split piston band.

Definitely check with the RT guy. That is a real good price on the oil change.

If he is not doing the rubber bottom out bumper for you, then be sure to grind the peening off the shaft before removing the nut and BE CAREFUL!!! when removing the piston assembly. Mine had about 25 pieces. You MAY NOT want to let it hit the floor and explode all around you

TIME TO GO WATCH "Combat!", the early '60's TV show.

gotta run!!!!
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128