Buying a KDX (check this one out....)

Got questions? We got answers....
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Here in california most kdx's in good shape go for about 2000. It's not unusual to find one that's barely used - with fmf pipe, hand guards, etc.

I just bought a 1996 Yamaha WR250 (2stroke) that was brand-new, never-used for $2500. I couldn't believe it.... the owner works for NASA, bought it in 1998 and stored it in a garage. I just took it out for the break-in run yesterday, LOL. Off-road suspension, o-ring chain, large tank, wide seat, heavier flywheel and wide ratio tranny. I can't believe my luck. He even put a different answer sa on i (why, i don't know, the stock one was also an aluminum answer), carbon fiber case guard, radiator braces, renthal bars, and fender tool kit. He said his wife wanted more room in the garage and he had to sell some of his toys. Good grief - why did he buy it just to stick it in his garage?
The thing works very well - not much to do to dial it in.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Saaaaaaaaaweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! Keep your eye on ebay for goodies. I stole a bunch of stuff off there for mine....Mainly because it's the same as a 93-95 YZ250 for most stuff. I even scored a YZ seat, and IMS YZ tank (skinnier) for cheap. Not to mention a full pro-action woods valved fork and matching shock spring for my weight. The stock susp I don't think they did much, if anything to, over the YZ. More of a desert bike than a woods bike stock, but way better than a MX bike in the woods no doubt. Hard hitting motor, but also a tractor. I got an answer SA for mine too, but originally it didn't have a SA on it.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Fuzzy - this bike's suspension is plush, not like a YZ's. The brochure for it (the owner kept everything, LOL) says it is valved differently from the YZ. If anything, the front is a little on the soft side, I think the springs are right on, but it needs more fork oil height. I added 10cc's to each side for a start, I'll check it out next ride.
The tranny ratios seem spot on, low first but good top end with no gaps off the band.
The engine is supposedly based on the 94 YZ - the one Mcgrath used in his later YZ's - it seems like a good one - I haven't had a bike with a round slide Mikuni in a long time - I've got plenty of jets for that (for a change)!
Great brakes too!
I see why you like yours! :mrgreen:
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Cool, they must've changed that for 96. I have a 96 ignition on mine as it was supposed to be more of a woods mapping....So they did make some changes before they dropped it for the 400. Mine came with the VM swapped out for a TM38 and I wish it didn't. I need to put a 36mm PWK on it. I have an airbox/throttle from a PWK equipped '95 YZ so it'll all bolt right in. The ultimate shizzle is the unobtainium '98 WR that was available in canada....Newer frame/ergos with this motor. Bronco had one on here with an ohlins 360cc cyl :shock:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project