Not an "oil-thread" but about oil-ratios?

Got questions? We got answers....
raisedinal

Not an "oil-thread" but about oil-ratios?

Post by raisedinal »

Can anyone point me to some good sites discussing how ratio's are decided on. I'm not objecting to what is accepted as an acceptable ratio. I already know what I'm going to use. Just wonderin what it's based on...performance, wear, or what ratio is the least sacrifice of both, or even spooge (sp?)

My maintenance is done...just a little education for the 2 stroke noob!

are Injection 2 stroke oils acceptable in mix applications?

Any good reading on 2 stroke oils as well?

Thanks Ya'll!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I can point you to:

google.com

..where you can find out anything you want to know, all sorts of stuff you don't want to know, more than that of stuff that's bullpucky, and some that's just right.

Considering the tens of thousands of pages of opinion and even a few pages of fact (each sure they are correct) that are available for your perusal on the web (and this site) you can find whatever it is you're after.

You already know what you're going to use..so, have fun. You can keep busy for years reading about JASO oils, TCW oils, ash content, synthetic, castor, blends...

They're all the best, and they all work great...and if you don't use <this one> you're stupid.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

That oughta pretty much cover it

:roll:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Well now... I think using products not designed for the application is a fools quest.

Remember when you were young and people would say... oh just use transmission fluid in your power steering pump.... same stuff!

What happened 6 months later? Power steering pump locked up.

For longevity... please just use the right thing. Oil is not something to cheap out on.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by zomby woof »

Ontario, Canada
NewMexico505

Post by NewMexico505 »

Its all overblown. Little people trying to be big people. Just run your oil and enjoy life.

-Erik
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I'd have to say the owners manual for your bike is probably the best place to get the oil recommendation. That is unless you ride a KTM, then you should ignore that printed garbage....
raisedinal

Post by raisedinal »

I guess stating an "oil-thread" or Oil-ratio's strike fear, dread and hostility? :twisted:

canyncarvr: check out http://lmgtfy.com/ for the next time your asked a "google-able" question.... for instance http://tinyurl.com/yecbyzr, Good smart-assed way to answer! :grin:

I actually asked because I did google first ("2 stroke oil") and in this case and got every answer in the book. Someone said never use less than 20:1 for motorcycles, then others state use the manual. and around here the general consensus I have seen is 40:1.

BUT in providing CC the example above I ran across this: http://dirtbike.off-road.com/dirtbike/a ... ?id=400487 It came across as a reasonable and educated answer.

Guess I should have googled! :roll:

Now to google a good "Castor" based oil!
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by zomby woof »

>|<>QBB<
raisedinal wrote:
Now to google a good "Castor" based oil!
http://www.maximausa.com/products/2stroke/castor927.asp

This is what I use.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

>|<>QBB<
raisedinal wrote: Now to google a good "Castor" based oil!
Don't like the KIPS huh.....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
raisedinal

Post by raisedinal »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:>|<>QBB<
raisedinal wrote: Now to google a good "Castor" based oil!
Don't like the KIPS huh.....
I guess this is why I'm here...

...so the Castor oil isn't good for the KIPS? in what sense?

The Dirt-rider article claimed test showed less wear with it over synthetics and Certainly over Petroleum with I assumed the rings. so I guess I can't take that assumption to other lubricated parts?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

It's just that you may get more buildup and residue on the KIPS moving parts using a castor based oil. Unfortunately the kawasaki KIPS system does not take kindly to being gummed up. The little crappy aluminum gear teeth like to shear off leaving you with a non-working KIPS system and an expensive and irritating repair job ahead of you.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The KDX is really not a high RPM bike like say... a KX , CR or RM.... A KDX will build up much more than a race bike. Race bikes are rebuilt more often than a KDX too so cleaning is much more frequent also.

I would use a castor based oil if I thought it would keep the KIPS clean because ....damn I love the smell of it burning.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

You did find one of the better articles on the subject which means my response had its intended effect.

'Give a man a fish....' and all that.

Congratulations on the find..and the motivation to keep looking after the first (..got every answer in the book..) attempts.

Thanks for that REAL google link. :lol: Very good.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by zomby woof »

I use Castor oil in my race bike, and it (the power valve) comes apart cleaner than when I was using either Motul, or Belray synthetic. It's not the castor oil of the old days, but a blend of castor, and synthetic oils. It smells just as good as the old days, though :supz:
Ontario, Canada