Fly wheel weight-220

Got questions? We got answers....
bcdonyo
Supporting Member

Fly wheel weight-220

Post by bcdonyo »

I made the mistake of re-lowering my KDX this weekend to let my female riding buddy try it out again as she is getting bored of, and outriding the little ttr125 she's been learning on.

She was looking at getting an XR200 and I informed her that the KDX, with the lowering link wasn't much bigger and outperformed the XR everywhere. She tried the KDX when I first got it, but the size and power scared her. Now that she's more expierenced, she liked it alot, but is still a little intimadated by the power. (It's a stock 200)

I'm thinking that a 220, with a Stealthy weight and my lowering link would be a good choice for her. She's a fairly aggresive tom boy type, but like myself, ain't no spring chicken. Anyone have expierence with a flywheel weight on a KDX? I would of course do the required piston swap if we can locate a clean 220.

I think she's wanting to just ride my 200 from now on, but I'm about ready to do the front KX swap and mod the engine a little, so I need it back!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I think a 220 in stock form with lowering links would probably suit her fine. If she feels like she can handle your 200 dropped, the 220 is going to be a bit less intimidating. Less snap and all that. A FWW on a 220 might be a little overkill, is all I'm sayin..
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yeah... the 220 was a designed as a girls bike...so that is what she should get. :mrgreen:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Yes, once the kdx200 was soundly established as one of the best-selling pit bikes, Kawasaki decided to upgrade to a 220 so it could handle trails outside the parking perimeter. This is true, I read it in Dirt Rider magazine. :twisted:

But...back to the flywheel...
A flywheel weight addition will make the bike easier to ride and start. That extra momentum noticeably reduces stalls and carries a good kick further, and will make it hook up more steadily in poor traction situations. If a cheap-skate like me would spring the 100 bucks for it, it must be good. :mrgreen:
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Brian »

You know the funny thing is my wife got a KDX before I did. I have my KX 250 that I ride every where (track and trails). I took her KDX for a spin in the woods one day just for fun and I totally fell in love with it. Had to get my own. I could ride just as fast in the woods (faster even when it got nasty) and I didn't get all beat up.
KX 250, KDX 220, KDX 220, KDX 200, CR 80

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch
Byte

Post by Byte »

what size fww do u rec for the 220?
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Steahly only makes one size for the KDX (at least they used to) and it's 10 oz.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

My old E model, lowered, made a great bike for Inda's Sister-In-Law. Built it for my girlfriend at first, but yes it was too much for her(total riding noob). Disabling the KIPS is a good, reversable mod too.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Either KDX (200/220) would be excellent, imo. The extent of the 'tom boy' part would determine which, I suppose. You know that part the best.

As far as lowering links...Kouba links are popular, but they only come in specific lengths. Something to consider..links from Devol. Their links are adjustable. The don't lower to the extent the long Koubas do, but you can 'normal' the bike using the same set of pull rods.

Old hat..but there is precious little reason to lower a bike. Getting into a 'dabbing' habit with your feet is something to be avoided.

Not being able to swing your leg OVER the bike..not being able to KICK the thing 'cuz you can't touch on the left side..there are a couple of arguably valid points.

Specifically, in regard to a FWW on the KDX. I have a Steahly weight on mine. Love it. Where it works best is on steep downhills. Without the FWW, the bike would stall at a 'touch'. THAT'S a pain. You can't shift out of gear/change gears with a lot of backward stress on the transmission..and bump-starting isn't too likely when just keeping the backend ON the ground is iffy. I want my bike to STAY running. And it does..STAY running much better with one of Steahly's FWWs.

Oh..whatever she's intimidated by today will be what puts a smile on her face tomorrow. Unless she's completely done 'growing' into bikeriding (something you would know), she will grow much better if she's riding something that can handle her input..do what SHE wants it to do and have something left over to grow into.

Happy trails!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Byte

Post by Byte »

Sold!

Thanks
bcdonyo
Supporting Member

Post by bcdonyo »

Thanks for the replies. We rode yesterday and she got all cocky and decided to try a pretty rocky technical trail and stalled it a few times. The last time was on an off camber pile of rocks and she couldn't start it. When she heard me fire up the ATK with the button, she said she wanted something with an e-start. :roll:

We're going to do a lot of riding this weekend and hopefully she'll acclimate better to it. She started babbling about a blue or red 230 with the button, but I think she'll just get bored with those like the ttr125. I figure a 220 with a fww, bigger rear sprocket and the Kouba link that came with my bike will be perfect. Of course it will also need the lighting coil upgrade, forged piston, better headlight, blah blah blah.
bcdonyo
Supporting Member

Post by bcdonyo »

Well hell, now I can't get her back on the TTR. She just wants to ride the 200. Guess I'll slap a fww on that and keep it stock untill I/we can afford a 220. God forbid I should sell one of my big thumpers. :cry:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Get rid'a that UGLY HunkaTurd.

Say...you don't ride in any rocks down there, do 'ya? Nice trees! :wink:

You're aware of the acronym ATGATT? :hmm: Seems that might'a been covered before..........

Consider the source

bcdonyo
Supporting Member

Post by bcdonyo »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:Get rid'a that UGLY HunkaTurd.

Say...you don't ride in any rocks down there, do 'ya? Nice trees! :wink:

You're aware of the acronym ATGATT? :hmm: Seems that might'a been covered before..........
Geez CC, she has all the gear except for a chest protector and elbow pads. :roll: We stoped at the end of the trail for a rest, her gloves, camelback, gogles and stuff are in the foreground.

What are these trees you guys keep writing about?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

She looks happy... and that's what riding is all about!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'except for a chest protector and elbow pads.'

Yeah...well? You're making a list to go shopping?

Trees?

Here's one....or two. The one just to my left I tried to knock over with my head. I think it moved a little (see how it appears to be leaning?), but it's still standing. Don't know about the tree (I didn't ask), but I felt it for about a week.

Here are a couple that also appear to be leaning..but not 'cuz I ran into them with my head.

Photos copyright @Wibby

Consider the source

kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

bcdonyo,

Does that place glow in the dark? Yikes. :shock:
bcdonyo
Supporting Member

Post by bcdonyo »

Well after she wadded it up a few times and had trouble starting it on some pretty technical stuff Monday she decided she needed an e start. :roll: We picked up a ttr230 last night. It's about five lbs. lighter than my 650 Husaberg! :rolleyes:

We're going riding after work today, she'll be surprised at the weight, but honestly I hope it slows her down. The power of the KDX was starting to tempt her to ride over her head. 40 year old broads shouldn't be crashing on dirt bikes. :mrgreen: Especially when I have to hike up the hill to rescue them.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

KDXBUTTFLY rides her KDX and loves it!

I have have helped her more than once.... but who cares? Not a competition.... As long as they are having fun!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

bcdonyo
Supporting Member

Post by bcdonyo »

>|QBB<[/url]
Indawoods wrote:KDXBUTTFLY rides her KDX and loves it!

I have have helped her more than once.... but who cares? Not a competition.... As long as they are having fun!
Yeah having fun is the goal. We got the ttr cheap enough that when her skills are better, we could sell it and loose little. I still see her on a 220 eventually. At least now I can start getting my 200 upgraded.