Here's a new Question - License Plates

Got questions? We got answers....
Mark W
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Here's a new Question - License Plates

Post by Mark W »

What do you all do to put the license plates on your bikes. Here in Minnesota where absolutely nothing is allowed without some type of Government intervention, we need to register our bikes to ride on the trails. Part of the requirement is that we display the registration number, with the "sticker" somewhere on the bike. I believe the regs state 1.5" high numbers on a plate off of the rear fender. I know that hanging a plate off of the rear fender will not work and the DNR guys will let you get by if the numbers are put somewhere else as long as they are displayed.

What is the best way to put these numbers on the bike so that they can be removed when I'm not riding on the trails? Do you have an extra set of plastic for the trails, do you use a plate, attach with velcroe, etc... Looking for creative solutions.

Exact reg reads as follows:

"OHMs registered only for off-road use must display current registration number and decal on a plate at least 4 inches high and 71⁄2 inches long. The plate must be clearly visible on the back of the vehicle and at least 12 inches from the ground. The decal must be displayed in the upper left section of the plate. The plate and decal must be maintained in a clear and legible condition."

Thanks -

Mark
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Is this a metal stamped license plate? Acerbis among others makes a license plate holder that attaches to the rear fender. You could put the plate on that and then removed it when it isn't necessary?

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Mark W
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Mark W »

No, these are those 1.5 inch high number with adhesive on the back (a do it yourself license plate). Is the Acerbis plate mountable without drilling holes and does it hang under the rear fender where it would most certainly get knocked off when going through thick mud and crossing streams and such - I would think.

I have found quite a few knocked off license plates in the trails around here.

Mark
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

What a PITA goverments are.....

I've seen plates pop-riveted on rear fenders. Might stay on..and you could have just the holes left if you drilled/cut/ground off the rivets.

I'd opt for something like a piece of aluminium the 'correct' size and ty-wrap it to maybe the back fender...on the LH side in the same position as the spark arrestor is on the RH side?

Although...I lost an Oregon sticker/plate that I had attached to the LH fork that way. It's lying out there somewheres.........

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

Some people here put their license plate on the fanny pack or on the chest protector. :eek:

mine is in the front wheel. :mrgreen:

http://groups.msn.com/KDXRidersCommunit ... otoID=1051

I've also seen plates pop-riveted but...inside the rear fender...but the plate is hard to see in muddy tracks.
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You know... manufacturer's make "number plates" OMG...what an idea!!!! Use a number plate as..... a number plate! For the love of...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Mark W
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Mark W »

Yeah but it looks rather funny for an 8 year old kid who also runs the local MX tracks with his buddies (who has an AMA racing number on the number plates) to show up with a combination of letters and numbers that are 5 digits long on a MX number plate. You know how kids make fun of other kids and all....

I also know that I can buy an extra set of side plates, one for the trails, and one for the track but that is an expense and a hassle to be trading out side plates (not much of a hassle I agree but one none the less).

I just thought that with the creative people here on this site that maybe someone had already thought of an innovative solution.

Mark
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I hear ya Mark... it's rediculous what they make us do. Why don't they just tag us like they do animals...that way they can track our migration habits...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXSean
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KDXSean »

I've got off road (metal) licence plates for my bike and two of my kids bikes.

I just keep them in the glove box (of my truck). That way they don't get lost and they stay clean and purdy :rolleyes:
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

What about the back of the rear fender bag? Reinforce the inside and outside of the bag with a piece of plastic, maybe cut from a gallon milk jug, and attach the #'s there. If the bag is holding stuff even better because then you don't need to stiffen it up to show the back of the bag and your #'s attached to it.

If you want more space, there are larger (taller) fender bags out there that should provide enough space to attach #'s.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Mark W
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Mark W »

The politicians aren't done with us yet. The new proposal would require every off road vehicle to have automotive sized license plates mounted to their dirtbike. Talk about having their respected heads up their respected asses. Who would ever propose something this stupid? I wonder how far behind airbags are?

Mark
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

We got pretty darn chunky ones over here. Not as big as car plates but still quite large...

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."