Lower rod bearing play

Got questions? We got answers....
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I wouldn't worry about it. No force vector is going to cause axial wear.

If you did have something causing such force to be expressed (an out of square cylinder perhaps), you would have more things going on than some play noted on a top-end job.

Which I understand doesn't answer your question at all.

Some folks on the east coast will get home to their manuals before I do...maybe the manual gives a specification?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

lemme check my '94. It has about 750 miles on it, so maybe it will give you an idea...

EDIT: I could not detect any straight up and down play at all. I thought it would have a little play from being in the bearing, but I gues not. Now you have me wondering about my other engines. :?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
jackpiner57
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by jackpiner57 »

Well I finally got an answer to my question! I gave up here and went down the road to my neighbors place. Edna is 93 years old and has been around motors before. When I asked her about the play in the con rod , she said "Oh you mean it's metronoming" and I said YES! THATS IT! and she said "don't worry about it, just bore gauge the cylinder and rough it up some, put in a new piston, wrist pin, wrist pin bearing, clips and rings in it and don't forget to gap the rings and then go and ride your bike, now have another cookie" And I said AMEN EDNA! Can I have some more milk? :supz:
2002 KDX200
2005 KX85
2005 DL650K5 V-Strom
NETRA
AMA
Montshire Trail Riders
Vermont Motocross Association

I got stopped for speeding and the cop asks me "Don't you know the speed limit is 55 miles per hour?" So I said "yeah but I wasn't gonna be out that long."
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Old peeps ROCK !!!! :supz: :prayer:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
jackpiner57
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by jackpiner57 »

Yes KAY DEE EXER, yes they do. :grin:
2002 KDX200
2005 KX85
2005 DL650K5 V-Strom
NETRA
AMA
Montshire Trail Riders

I got stopped for speeding and the cop asks me "Don't you know the speed limit is 55 miles per hour?" So I said "yeah but I wasn't gonna be out that long."
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

re:
I wouldn't worry about it.
Yeah...old peeps rock, indeed. ;)

Consider the source

jackpiner57
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by jackpiner57 »

Re:
"don't worry about it
and
I wouldn't worry about it.
Upon review of the previous posts, I believe that the advice of Edna and good old canyncarvr are sound.

The con rod big end side clearance is 0.457mm and well within standard specifications. I don't think i can feel any up and down play with the rod at TDC. The flywheel has no movement in any direction.

All is good with my bottom end (and the motor too!) :mrgreen:

Thanks for all of the replies. - Tom
2002 KDX200
2005 KX85
2005 DL650K5 V-Strom
NETRA
AMA
Montshire Trail Riders

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Heck..I was just being a smartaleck..took the opportunity to make fun of myself cuz I'm such an old fart.

Fact of the matter is I didn't answer your question regarding the 'metronome' play (excellent descriptive word, btw). Kudos to Ms. Edna for that.

I'm glad to hear your bottom end is ok (even Edna sez so as I understand it).

Good deal on the motor, too!

Consider the source

jackpiner57
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by jackpiner57 »

Thanks CC, now I am just waiting for a call from Eric Gorr regarding my cylinder. I tried to measure the bore with a dial caliper but came up with a different measurement every time. I figured it's best to leave that to the experts with the proper tools, so I sent it to him about a week ago. Maybe I'll go with the Mo Power Everywhere deal. The cylinder had a very small gouge at the 11:00 position over the exhaust port ( figuring that dead center of the exhaust port is 12:00) and might need to be replated. If so, maybe bore it out a little for more low end torque? I'm still trying to decide.
2002 KDX200
2005 KX85
2005 DL650K5 V-Strom
NETRA
AMA
Montshire Trail Riders

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

jackpiner57, he offers a 225 kit, which I think is really 223 or something like that. I think it uses the Wiseco 70.00 mm piston, with normal 220 Wiseco piston being 69.00mm. You may want to check into that. You would have to send in your head, too.

From your comments, it is unclear as to whether you meant to have it bored to his 225 kit specs or just a little more. Since it is a plated cylinder, it can't be bored just a little more without a replate. He, in combination with the plating company, strips away the plating, does whatever machining work necessary, then it is plated.

Usually when someone says "bore it out", that means they are thinking iron / steel cylinder instead of a plated aluminum cylinder.

I hope this helps.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
jackpiner57
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by jackpiner57 »

Jason,

Thanks for the info, if the cylinder gouge requires replating then maybe the 225 kit is the way to go. I snugged the head onto the cylinder before shipping, so he will be able to work on that too. No steel :shock:
2002 KDX200
2005 KX85
2005 DL650K5 V-Strom
NETRA
AMA
Montshire Trail Riders