Handlebar Recs

Got questions? We got answers....
kingsxjt

Handlebar Recs

Post by kingsxjt »

Got the front end off my bike right now and am getting the forks revalved and sprung by The Works Inc. (Racetech). Anyway, I've got MSR dominator bars CR High bend cut to about 30". I tweaked em real bad last ride and bent them back to near perfect, but I'm afraid they are weaker now and don't want to risk breaking them on the trail and being stuck. I also hate the crossbar moving on me after every ride. I was thinking about some new bars. Can anyone give me some recommendations. I don't know which bars will require different clamps and different brackets for my bark busters. Thanks in advance! P.S. I may have some XR 400 .382 kg springs for sale in the near future.
2001 KDX 200
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yes... Replace them!
If they are standard 7/8" bars w/ crossbar, then Answer makes a good set that are reasonable. When shopping for bars... get the best quality you can afford. It will be worth it in the end. CR highs work great on the 95 and up KDX's. Check Rocky Mountain, they have a handlebar chart where you can check out your dominator bars against other brands for height and bend.... very handy!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

The only bars that will require different bar clamps and handguard brackets are the oversized bars. There are many bar choices...and most of them are unique only by various persons opinions. :mrgreen:

I assume since your bars have the cross bar that they are 7/8" bars. What do you want to do? If cost is an issue, stay with what size bars your running. It can get expensive to change out bar mounts (~$40) and hand guard mounts (~$20-$30) plus the cost of new bars. TAG, 909, Fly, and Renthal all make good bars in almost any bend you want. From personal experience...bars are going to get bent...doesn't matter how much they cost.

I spent around $130 switching over to a Fat Bar set up. My motivation was more that I wanted the crossbar gone so I had more room for the GPS and computer. Decide what you want in a bar (ie. cost, bends, bling factor, ect) then see who makes a bar that fits your needs.

I hope that helped.
:cool:
Later
Robb
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Yes, definitely replace them. No need to worry about them breaking if you can afford new ones. There are many different, high quality brands out there. I have good luck with a previous set of Renthal 7/8" bars and my current Pro Taper bars on my '94 have worked great, but they are the oversize bars.

If you don't mind me asking, how much are they charging you for the revalve and new springs? Thank you.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I use fat bars and I'm glad I do. I SLAM my bars into trees at high rates of speed. The bike usually does end-over-end flips, occasionally landing on the bars. They aren't even scratched! Here's a photo of the bars and guards. They also include the bar clamps pre-machined for a scotts dampener. Here's a link to the bars:
http://www.teamhawgracing.com/php/oscom ... ucts_id=26
They are $59.99

Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

skipro3 wrote: They also include the bar clamps pre-machined for a scotts dampener. Here's a link to the bars:
http://www.teamhawgracing.com/php/oscom ... ucts_id=26
They are $59.99
$59.99 gets you only the bars and they only come in CR mid bend. About the same price you can find for other brands of FAT BARS with many more options for bends. If you want the whole set up with the "bar clamps pre-machined for a scott's Stabilizer" it's 159.99. That does not include the bars. You'll have to add 59.99 for those.

Not the cheapest route, but looks like a great set up. The hand guard design looks like it would hold up great. I'd prefer a higher bend on the bars though.

Later
Robb
Robb
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
kingsxjt

Post by kingsxjt »

I have been looking around and found the Pro Taper SE CR High Bend. I don't want to spend the money to switch over to 1 1/8". Also if I get rid of my crossbar I will have to modify the bracket that holds my trip odometer (to compensate for the pad). I also already have 7/8" Moose bark busters and would need new hardware for them. Anyone got any feedback on these bars? They've got to be stronger than the MSR? Does the crossbar "stay" in place or do you have to loosen and retighten it after every ride to get it back straight like I do my MSR's? P.S. Jason- Goldvalves, seals, wipers, 2qts of racetech fluid, Racetech springs and professional install will be close to $410.00. I could do the labor myself, but after parts I'm only paying him about $100.00 labor if that.
2001 KDX 200
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

You are right quailchaser. The guy who makes these lives about 15 miles from me and gave me the whole mess for about $60, so I thought that was the total price.

At that price, they are steep but I can personally vouch for them being indestructable. :rolleyes:
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

kingsxjt wrote:I have been looking around and found the Pro Taper SE CR High Bend. Anyone got any feedback on these bars? They've got to be stronger than the MSR? Does the crossbar "stay" in place or do you have to loosen and retighten it after every ride to get it back straight like I do my MSR's?
My buddy just put those bars on his CR265. They've been great...I should have included Pro Taper on my list above. As far as the crossbar "staying" in place...depends on how many times you "crash" and bend them? :rolleyes:

Ski, those things look indestructable. The price is not out of line for switching over to a Fat Bar set up.

Later
Robb
Robb
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

wsjkawasaki bought some Pro Taper 7/8" bars. hey lookd real nice. He has not ridden with them, so I have no feedback other than that.

Thank you for passing on the fork related information.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128