Time for some bling....

Got questions? We got answers....
Mark W
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Time for some bling....

Post by Mark W »

Is any one place better than the next to get that Maier rear fender? I've never ride this bike when I would need the rear light and if I ever thought I might, I would sway fenders again. Can the front number plate be replaced with something else as well?

Anything special to do with the rear light wiring after putting on the new fender?

A regular MX fender looks way cooler than the stock fender - IMO. I know, its $50 that could be spent elsewhere but what the heck.

Went out riding today down at another nearby track. My 8 year old prefers tracks than trails so this is where we go most of the time. Anyway, we hooked up with another Dad and his kid (KTM SX65) and rode the kids track for awhile. Dad had a 99 Yamaha ??400 4 stroker and we swapped bikes for while. Man was his suspension tight - I mean rough. Every bump hit was one felt everywhere. Went over jumps nice however. He really liked my bike and commented on how nice the suspension was. Rather funny I thought. I much prefer the 2 stroke to the 4 stroker.

Mark
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I don't think there's any bargans on the MX style rear fender. Jeff Fredette has 'em and he shipped mine quickly. Tuck the wires away safely and run a cable tye to be sure they don't rub anywhere. I've added a vented # plate to replace my headlight as well, check out the gallery and look at some of the bikes with the headlight replaced for ideas. The Kawasaki and the Suzuki both fit, meaning there is a tab on the triple clamps that matches the mounting holes in the number plate. You will need to supply the hardware though.

I bet the other dad has never adjusted his compression dampning. If you run across him again, ask him about that. For the easy riding most of us "dads" do, it should be set about as soft as she'll go. Adjust rebound dampning to midway and see how that does.

Never worry about what something for the dirtbike costs. Rather, think about how much money you are saving in family therapy sessions later on down the road as you spend time with your 8 year old son.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

I just put mine on and posted the photo's in the gallery. I got mine for $43.99 from Monkeybutt Parts. They list them at the bottom of the page, but they only have them in Green. If you want black...Fredette's is the place.

As far as money spent on our sport...skipro's right...much cheaper than therapy. :prayer:

Later
Robb
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
Mark W
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Mark W »

Buying something from monkeybutt parts qould be kind-of interesting. Can imagine the wifey's comment when she see's that charge - funny.

The other Dad worked for GPR racing for some time and had purposely changed his suspension to be the way it was. He removed some washers to change the valving or somethign to that efffect. I didn't like it but he sure was fast and good. Took some time to teach me how to take this one jump that looked undoable to me (wrong launch angle, uphill land if shorted etc...). Finally go the courage to do it after riding beside him to see how fast I had to hit it. High 3rd gear or low 4th gear (preferable) did it and it really was as easy as he said after doing it the first time. With those new XR400 springs I didn't even notice the landing.

Yeah I agree on spendig the money on dirtbiking verses family therapy - best time I get to spend with my son. Now if only my older daughter could find dirtbiking fun....

Mark
Mark W
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Mark W »

Any particular front number plate I should be ordering when 'i get the maier rear finder? Want to nake sure it fits.

Thanks -

Mark