KDX Trail Maker

Got questions? We got answers....
krazyinski

KDX Trail Maker

Post by krazyinski »

How many of you maintain trails on your bike?

Image[/img]
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
crf_kdx

Post by crf_kdx »

Zounds!! May the quad rest in peace!! :-)
"There are two kinds of adventurers: those who go truly hoping to find adventure and those who go secretly hoping they won't."
~ William Trogdon

2002 Honda Shadow ACE 750
2005 KDX 200 (mine)
2006 CRF 250X (son's)

2004 TTR 125LE (for sale)

KORHS Series: Senior C
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I don't ride without these

Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|QBB<[/url]
Mr. Wibbens wrote:I don't ride without these

Wibs - what brand? That looks like a good kit to take riding OR bowhunting!
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

It's a Gerber

Around $20 at Wallyworld

http://www.gerberstore.com/index.php?xp ... ge&xid=432
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

What kind of support do you have for the rear fender? Mine would buckle under the weight standing still let alone taking it through the trails.
Riding is living everything else, is just waiting.
Master of the casual pace
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
KanuckKDX

Post by KanuckKDX »

I couldn't get on the bike with that box on. My arthritic hips won't let me swing my leg that high. Getting on my KDX is not hard but the XR is higher and harder to kick. But that box on the back with a chain saw. Man you are too kind hauling that around even once per year. That's what quads are for.

Fortunately once the quads go through all the trails in the spring they're in good shape and the single tracks are more fun if there is the odd obstacle. But Wibs is pretty dedicated. Do you ever have cause to use those tools more than once per year?

The biggest threat on the trails is the tree that hangs over at head height. It always looks like I can get under by ducking but somehow they drop just as I get close.
KanuckKDX
'01 YZ426F son's
'02 XR400 still for sale
'04 KTM 450exc it's all about the e-start
Wudscrasher
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Wudscrasher »

Our club has 3 small chainsaws carried in specialty backpacks, and will also fit a small folding utility shovel, water bladder and tools. We maintain roughly 300 miles of trails throughout N. CO that we adopted from the USFS. They work with us quite closely to ensure our riding priviledges continue. We're told we maintain more trails than any other users group! What I like about carrying the chainsaw is that whomever carries it, doesn't have to lift a finger to cut! :supz: It's quite comfortable to wear, even over a chest protector. I can find out who makes them, if anyone's interested (especially you, Krazyinski :razz: ).

--C.J.
2000 KDX220R

"Big air? I say keep it in the dirt - that's where the fun is. You want big air, kid? Pull my finger." -- Smooth Johnson, Master of the Berm
KanuckKDX

Post by KanuckKDX »

>|<>QBB<
Wudscrasher wrote:Our club has 3 small chainsaws carried in specialty backpacks, and will also fit a small folding utility shovel, water bladder and tools. We maintain roughly 300 miles of trails throughout N. CO that we adopted from the USFS. They work with us quite closely to ensure our riding priviledges continue. We're told we maintain more trails than any other users group! What I like about carrying the chainsaw is that whomever carries it, doesn't have to lift a finger to cut! :supz: It's quite comfortable to wear, even over a chest protector. I can find out who makes them, if anyone's interested (especially you, Krazyinski :razz: ).

--C.J.
Smart partnership. We have a huge quad organization here that does the same and is respected because of it. I give them my $30 membership out of respect and appreciation.

We have to fight those who want it shut down except for the animals and of course we have to put up with those who don't understand that riding through streams, off trails and without respect costs us all.
Sierra club sure has a ton of money around here and operate through the local eco terrorists.

But the local quad club is smart. We have a national enduro coming here and they told the government they wanted to help with "security". They want to police the course, approve the course in advance, ensure it is cleaned up when it's over and generally take the responsibility off the C.O.'s. Brilliant politics and they will have the man power and the presence to see that the nut cases among us are controlled and the wilderness looks the same after as it did before.

Originally the enduro organizers asked the quad club to be a "sponsor" and to join the organizing group but they had the political smarts to ask the government if they could be "watchdogs".
KanuckKDX
'01 YZ426F son's
'02 XR400 still for sale
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Cool!
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I wanna see, I wanna see! Company weblocker won't allow linking to pictures.
That's O.K., I get the drift.
Kanuck- you've got some good quadrunner people up there. Down here we don't dare cut or maintain trail by quad, or it will become a quad trail- 60 inches wide, saplings knocked down in both directions and every muddy spot wallowed out to 2 foot deep.

We can cut new trail here only sneakily, on foot, with machete's. This is on unused public/private land. No rules!

Our forestry service riding areas are a different story. Much more complicated to cut or maintain trail. Several local riders clubs are pretty active in negotiating access
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

I wish our USFS was as willing to work with special interest groups as yours is. The club I'm in has been battling them for the past 30 years and to almost no avail. Now with this new forest plan coming into place in September 2009 we'll get shafted. With Coconino County's 1 million acres they currently only have 130 miles of "system trail". So if they don't get their act together, I'll have very very little legal trails to ride on. What a joke... :evil: :evil:
KanuckKDX

Post by KanuckKDX »

The issue - are we repsonsible users or are we abusers - no longer matters. We now need to be the best lobbyists we can be. The facts don't seem to matter - the entire green movement can easily paint us as the worst abusers - noisy, foul, leaving tracks, displacing animals (grizzly bear and elk around here).

but let's keep being the best users we can be and better at lobbying. I expect we are all members of some user groups and some environmental group as well.

Remember that the enviornmental movement needs us too and it's those groups that we can influence from the inside. Here it's fish and game clubs, fishing groups, hunting groups and a few other conservation groups where we must be at the table at the membership level to keep them balanced. We can't only be with the riding groups. They are not perceived as environmental groups but as selfish users. Trout Unlimited is one of my environmental groups but there are probably some everywhere we can fit.

join an envirinmental lobby group today and get active while there is still open land. It takes a little time and money from all of us to get the job done. We can't leave it to someone else.

Bummer when bikers and ATV riders are on opposite sides though. They leave huge messes on the trails although it's the 4x4 trucks that ruin our trails. We hate to be lumped together with them but honestly if we ban them, we're gone too, so we hold our noses and lobby their cause too.
KanuckKDX
'01 YZ426F son's
'02 XR400 still for sale
thebleakness

Post by thebleakness »

Which is exactly what we've been doing up here. The forest service up here has been believing that there is only a small handful of people who ride ST in Northern Arizona. At the last club meeting we had we had over 200 riders in attendance, the forest service also showed up so that we could talk with them. They nicely avoided questions we asked them about the conditions and even volunteered our club to do even more trail maintenance than we already do, which none of us would have a problem doing. They just responded by saying that "they" didn't have the funds to maintain the trails we use constantly so they were going to shut down thousands of miles of trail we have up here, even though we said we would maintain them, which we already do.

It was a step in the right direction because they've been taking us as a small group, which we are NOT. We've contacted our congressman (Rick Renzi) and he's agreed to help us by checking up on them. We've also supplied monies to other clubs to pay for lobbyists who are working with us and other groups in the area.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
KanuckKDX wrote: But Wibs is pretty dedicated. Do you ever have cause to use those tools more than once per year?
I use 'em just about every ride and Carvr usually asks to use 'em least once per outing, especially this time of year
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

>|<>QBB<
Wudscrasher wrote:Our club has 3 small chainsaws carried in specialty backpacks, and will also fit a small folding utility shovel, water bladder and tools. We maintain roughly 300 miles of trails throughout N. CO that we adopted from the USFS. They work with us quite closely to ensure our riding priviledges continue. We're told we maintain more trails than any other users group! What I like about carrying the chainsaw is that whomever carries it, doesn't have to lift a finger to cut! :supz: It's quite comfortable to wear, even over a chest protector. I can find out who makes them, if anyone's interested (especially you, Krazyinski :razz: ).

--C.J.

We were just talking about were to get those back packs that carry chainsaws. I am sure we could use about 6 or more. could you enlighten me on the place to get them? We maintain several hundred miles of single track, non ATV single track. This week end it took 15 crews of 2-3 with saws to clear 100miles of trail that mother nature tore up (high water and tornado). any one need fire wood? :lol:
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Never seen anyone around here carry a saw on a backpack

But I've seen quite a few with a saw attached to the forks, with the bar pointing downward along one fork tube
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

I've done the saw-on-backpack. Gotta trim those trails somehow.