Hinson basket..

Got questions? We got answers....
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hinson basket..

Post by canyncarvr »

Time for a change........

I've heard bad stories of riders that somehow messed up the gear swap. If the thing has gott'a be epoxied together...forget it!

Anyone with particulars on the whole process in general?

New bushings needed, required, maybe, maybe not, why not anyway?

Get them where?

One type of hardware better than some other (head style and such) fastener?

Thanks for the input!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Well now...I DID expect a flood of input...but not quite THIS much!

Mr. Fredette referred to his Hinson basket as a 'kit'. Some written instructions are included but the isolation bushings are NOT included, neither are they even AVAILABLE! At least, Fredette has no source for them.

Generally (they said) the bushings are not a problem unless something bad has happened..severe overheating, or maybe someone thinking soaking the basket in some nasty solvent is a good idea (uh...it's not).

FRP does have some bushings separate from assemblies, those from post-mortems on fried baskets (gear good) and busted gears (basket good), the former far more prevalent than the latter is the impression I got from the phone conversation.

It's on the way!

Consider the source

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Cool, do let us know how you go. I was thinking a trade for my front end components plus some other random parts might work. :pop:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

My 02 is buy a Kawasaki OEM basket.... unless you like being stranded. :mrgreen:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

What's the 'stranded' part? Fuzzy's experience?

Speaking of which...are there exaculars as to why Fuzzy had problems? Hardware failure, things just got loose..what?

Surely there are methods short of glue that work..maybe?

Consider the source

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Just not worth it having to attach the gear to the basket. Weakest link is just that.....

What exactly is wrong with OEM? :hmm:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Yes, that was my problem....Press-fit OEM basket transferred to a nice billet basket that required set screws. The set screws don't work. If you had a machinist relieve little holes (or even better thread them) in the gear for the set-screws it would be fine. I did my best with a drill, and ended up JB welding the gear in along w/ set screws. In this case my basket was shot...OEM was $200+...NOS Hinson on Ebay was $45.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'The set screws don't work. If you had a machinist relieve little holes (or even better thread them)..'

I'll find out soon enough, but...

What is supposed to be threaded? Basket or gear? Gear I would suppose.

So...the 'relief' part in the gear would be for what purpose?

The head type of the fastener is NOT accomodated by the pieces? Like...a pan/hex head fastener with a flat on the head should never 'fit' into a tapered/recessed/countersunk hole.

So..besides having the gear riveted to the basket, it's press-fit too?

This is sounding more and more like way too many reasons to send the whole mess up to Mr. Black.

..stopped by the local bike shop this morning. Scottie (owner) held up a KX250 Hinson with a sheared mess half fast attached. BUT...he said there was NO evidence of loctite having been used..and SOME of the fasteners were loose.

My concern is, for whatever reason (perfectly good ones I'm sure) I've read enough of Fuzzy's posts over the years to have come to the conclusion that he knows what he's doing.

....and it STILL didn't work.

BUT...Scottie said he'd taken a Hinson basket off a Banshee that he KNEW was pounded regularly (he had replaced stock basket once a year) and after TWO years of use, the Hinson didn't have a mark on it.

I like THAT part!

Consider the source

fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Yeah, the hardened aluminum is surely nice, and won't get destroyed like the OEM one. My WR/YZ was a knurled gear pressed into the OEM basket...No rivets. In this case there was nowhere for the set screws to 'bite' hance the comment on the dimples (first assembly allowed for about 10 kicks before slippage). The basket hub IS threaded, and in my case having a machinist use the threaded holes in the basket as a guide, and continuing the threaded hole INTO the gear itself would've made for a premium solution. I used 2/4 set screws to steady the assembly, and drilled through the threaded hole in the basket into the gear itself (man that steel is HARD hance the need for better machining than my 18v dewalt can provide) doing the best to make some 'dimples.' I then threaded these slightly enlarged holes w/ the next bigger thread, and installed new set screws...Repeated the process with the remaining 2 holes. I think this would've worked fine in the long run, but I didn't chance it and JB'd the whole thing before finaly assembly. :roll: The rivet holes in the KDX gear may allow for a nice painless install...
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project