KDX 220 Jetting

Got questions? We got answers....
Woods Rider

KDX 220 Jetting

Post by Woods Rider »

Wanted to get the groups opinions and expertise:

I am running a totally stock '02 KDX220. 1000 ft elevation and 70 degree F. I am using a 42 pilot, 145 main jet, and needle in 2nd position from the top. The jetting feels pretty good, but I still have a bit of a burble just below midrange and the opening the trottle quickly when under power bogs slightly. I still have the snorkle in because I love how quiet the bike is.

Just wondering what the others in the group were running as their pilot, main, and needle positions on your 220?
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

First off welcome to the site!

I'm not much help on the 220 jetting but if your still running the stock jetting setup your most likely to rich on the pilot still. Dropping it down to a 40 and working the air screw a bit will most likely clean up your jetting a bit. Keep in mind that the 220 comes pretty choked stock. Its got a 33mm carby and the full filter lid is going to make things pretty rich on top of the already rich jetting.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I would play with the air screw....

Just for reference....
On my 200.... mine was acting like that and I raised my needle (more gas) and it went away at the cost of more spoo....

But it sure ran good....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

Have you tried removing the snorkel only and leaving the lid on?
It really doesn't get louder by much until you toss the lid. It does clean up the stock jetting if you pull the snorkel and you can feel a difference.
Try it, you'll like it :mrgreen:
I have an 05' 220. You can check out my ride on my profile. Also a few picks in the gallery. I have to update the album because I just installed a Maier MX rear fender and an Acerbis LED light/number plate. Plus the pics show the bike with the stock tires which look like bicycle hoops.
My jetting is spot on right now but I will probably be raising the clip to the 2nd postition once we get the warmer temps. Not sure. I like a little rich running because it hooks up better in the snotties. I had it right where most would say perfecto but it was a little too pissed in the wrong terrain.
Congrats on the 220. They rule!
Woods Rider

Post by Woods Rider »

Yes, I think I will go down to the 40 pilot. I have already gone down 1 size to 142 on the main and moved the needle 1 clip leaner. I may also try the suggestion to remove the snorkel but keep the lid on. I guess the snorkel just slides out of the lid?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

In my experience... that will only make it worse. But... you can try it...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Woods Rider

Post by Woods Rider »

In my experience... that will only make it worse. But... you can try it...
So you believe I am already lean? I still have a small bit of spooge, and the idle continues to increase at 3 turns on the air screw which is why I think I need the 40 pilot. Are I wrong in my thinking?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I tried everything to get that hesitation out of my throttle. The only thing that cured it was raising the needle. Sure... more spoo, but it lights up off idle now. I think the extra air that opening the airbox up has something to do with the hesitation.

I don't have a stock airbox lid to try to get different results.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

kdennan

Post by kdennan »

I am getting a little concerned that you might be going too lean.
Have you checked the plug on all readings? But then again, I think I recall you are at a lower elevation and warmer temps than I am at. My jetting is stock right now with the temps. and elevations where I live. I too have a few mods.
Run the jetting tests described by our dear friend Indawoods. The Pilot can be a little tricky at first, but even I figured it out.
John McIntosh

Post by John McIntosh »

I run my stock 2003 KDX220 in two locations; Maryland Elevation 200 ft and northern Pennsylvania 3'500 feet. My bike runs well in Maryland but I have trouble with fouling plugs in PA. They turn black. I was advised to mix 1 litre of Silkolene Super 2 Injector oil with 4 gallons of gas. I run an 8 spark plug and have drilled 1" holes in my air box lid. I have never messed with the jetting on a motorcycle. Any advice? A friend told me that I should try mixing oil with 5 gallons of gas. Any thoughts?
Mack (Bel Air, Maryland)
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

find better freinds. Read the jetting tips on this site, and write down what works best for you at each location.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
John McIntosh

Post by John McIntosh »

I have an owners manual but no shop manual. I found a good jetting explanation on this site (Indawoodds, June 12, 2003). I feel comfortable with the air screw but need pictures for the jetting, clip..,etc. Where can I find pictures of the pilot jet ? Do you think I could solve my problem by simply adjusting the air screw? Also, this may sound like a stupid question but, how many ounces are in a liter?
Mack (Bel Air, Maryland)
Woods Rider

Post by Woods Rider »

I think I will go back to the 145 main, but I might go down to the 40 pilot since my air screw at 3 turns out still causes the RPMs to rise.
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

Did you try going the other way? Try the airscrew at 1 or less. If it acts okay then, I think you will be going for a larger pilot not smaller. I would try the 42 pilot with the airscrew at 1.25--1.5 out and test the needle. Just a thought. Make sure you get your idle set. I found that when I had my idle set too low the bike would hang high and suddenly drop. After adjusting the idle it was apparent as to which way I needed to go with my airscrew.
krazyinski

Post by krazyinski »

>|<>QBB<
Woods Rider wrote:I think I will go back to the 145 main, but I might go down to the 40 pilot since my air screw at 3 turns out still causes the RPMs to rise.
The pilot, or slow circuit, can be adjusted by manipulating two parts: the air screw and the pilot jet. The air screw controls the flow of air into the circuit. Turning the air screw clockwise reduces the air flow and richens the circuit. Turning it counter clockwise increases the airflow and leans the circuit. You can therefore use the air screw to fine tune the pilot circuit. The pilot jet restricts/regulates the flow of gasoline from the float bowl to the venturi. Pilot jets have a precisely machined orifice/hole running through their center which gasoline passes through. Increasing the size of the pilot jet ( size of the hole ) richens the circuit by supplying more gasoline; i.e. removing a 40 pilot jet and installing a 42 richens the circuit.
2000 KDX220 FRP Ported,plated cylinder,milled head, FRP bored carb, V force 3 reeds, FMF desert pipe, 10oz FWW, 98 KX forks and oem shock re valved by Pro Action, hyd clutch, fastway pegs, tall seat foam, gripper cover, 29" CRhigh mini bars, Cycra brush gaurds.
Woods Rider

Post by Woods Rider »

Well I installed a Gnarley Woods pipe and VForce3 reeds. I am now running 40 pilot, 142 main with the 1173 needle in the 3rd position and the jetting is spot on. . . . I still have my snorkle in since I love that SUPER quiet, and I have not noticed much difference with it removed(other than making it louder). . . .I am still looking for the sweet spot on the air screw.
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
Woods Rider wrote:Well I installed a Gnarley Woods pipe and VForce3 reeds. I am now running 40 pilot, 142 main with the 1173 needle in the 3rd position and the jetting is spot on. . . . I still have my snorkle in since I love that SUPER quiet, and I have not noticed much difference with it removed(other than making it louder). . . .I am still looking for the sweet spot on the air screw.
Amazing what droppin' the jet sizes will do when your ride's too rich, eh? I've got the same jet sizes but with some differences in my mods - air box w/ bunch of holes, gnarley rev, power reeds, CEL needle . . . what's your temp and elevation generally?

No difference without the snorkel? How 'bout without the whole lid? Yeah, it'll be noisy but just for testing maybe you can get a feel for what a bunch more airflow will do and then open the lid up some before puttin' it back in place. Maybe there's more to gain than you realize (maybe not though) . . . if you're dialed in just right now and you DO start fiddling like this, keep the potential for getting too lean in mind.

'Not saying you're wrong, buddy, just some thoughts - I get a little disappointed when somebody doesn't get more out of simple, free air box modification having experienced what I did when I implemented it.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Woods Rider

Post by Woods Rider »

I am at 60degress and 1500 ft elevation.

Yes, I have taken off the airbox lid and put it back on about a dozen times. It probably does make a bit of a difference, but it just seems louder to me. When I take off the lid, it requires me to go back to the 145 main. I just love the super quiet electric sound/feel with the airbox lid in place, so much so that I probably downplay the performance benefits of removing it.
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
Woods Rider wrote:I am at 60degress and 1500 ft elevation.

Yes, I have taken off the airbox lid and put it back on about a dozen times. It probably does make a bit of a difference, but it just seems louder to me. When I take off the lid, it requires me to go back to the 145 main. I just love the super quiet electric sound/feel with the airbox lid in place, so much so that I probably downplay the performance benefits of removing it.
'Sounds like you know exactly what you want!!
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

How many different questions are in this thread anyway? I lost track somewheres.

New threads are easy to start.........

Rich/lean bobbles are not that easy to recognize..thus Inda ended up where he did..richer. The age-old adage, 'If it goes BOOO-WWHHaaahhh' when you crack the throttle, it's too rich,' is usually an age-old error. The OEM needle on clip-2 has rarely worked well from any jetting posts from riders that went to the trouble of actually testing different clip positions.

Fact is, the OEM needle is so far 'wrong' in so many ways, you won't likely have a LOT of luck making it work as it should. ...which is why so many KDX riders don't USE the OEM needle no moh.

No lid makes more noise. Any lid modification will require some jetting change most likely. I never had any luck with the 'no lid' idea...couldn't abide the noise, anyway. Keeping the snorkle and putting some holes in the lid will keep it quiet AND improve lower-end response.

JohnM: I don't know what your friends are even trying to say...but 'new ones' sounds good to me.

If it's all good at 200', it's going to be too rich at 3500'. You say what your friends recommend, but don't say what you ARE doing. For starters, let's hear about quarts and not liters, OK? You're in Maryland fer crine out loud. Buy a ratio rite mixing cup!!

Putting a liter of oil in 4 gallons of fuel is more than 16:1 for heaven's sake!! That's too much oil for a chainsaw!! fer heaven's sake, crin' out loud and I'm running out of amazement things to say!!

But then you say, 'mix oil with 5 gallons of gas.' I don't know if that's still a liter (arghh) you're talking about or not.

I'm going to go finish watching Ricky Bobby kick some butt..and pretend none'a this ever happened..... :wink: THEN it'll be time for FOOTBALL...and I sure'as hell don't mean SOCCER, neither.

...all this talk about litres hath me frazz`led..........'eh vois even!

BTW...go to buykawasaki.com and look up the carb diagram. ..ronayers.com has one, too.

There you can see drawings of where stuff is...like pilot jets and such..which, btw summore are up inside the lttle hole just in front of the main jet. Take it out with a 1/16" common screwdriver. A 2mm blade will do. :roll:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!