Air Screw Question

Got questions? We got answers....
Johnny

Air Screw Question

Post by Johnny »

Two questions:
1.) What is its purpose and how does it work?

2.) Mine was 6 full turns out from its seated position. I have KDX220 with the bored carb to 35 by Fredette. Just wondering if this seems right?

The bike runs great and I have never had any problems with the carb, it just seems like 6 turns is alot especially when the manual says 1.5 turns.

Thanks,
John
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Yeah that doesn't sound right at all. What jets/needle do you have in the carb?
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Johnny

Post by Johnny »

Not sure. Haven't had it apart, just bought the bike used in August have been riding it but not to much taking things apart. I am saving that for the winter (give me something to do while its snowing). Also, this is my first dirt bike so I am kind of learning as I go . I have already learned so much from this forum.

What air screw adjustment is considered "normal" for modified carbs such as mine?
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Functionally you should be using the same adjustments as a stock 35mm PWK. Right around 1.5 for a starting point. However your jetting should have changed a bit with the larger carb size. Your wacky air screw setting could be masking bad jetting or more likely an air leak.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Johnny

Post by Johnny »

Yeah, I counted the turns wrong. It was really only 3 FULL turns out. For some reason, I was counting 180° as a turn. Anyway, I backed her down two 2 (full) turns, adjusted the idle, and it runs great. I also did alot more research and was able to answer my own questions. (I should have done that in the first place). So, I don't habe no leaks, (as turing the screw effected the bike in the proper range) and I my pilot jet is the right size.

Thanks for the response.
grump99

Post by grump99 »

Good deal! :supz: