Tank mounting insert spinning...Help!

Got questions? We got answers....
sjp

Tank mounting insert spinning...Help!

Post by sjp »

Just picked up an '02, just started tearing it down for a rebuild and got no farther than the tank, not good!
It seems the insert in the plastic for the tank mount is spinning in the plastic. When I turn the bolt it feels like it's all turning. My first reaction
is to remove the radiator, to get a better angle, and hacksaw the bolt off on the backside of the mounting bracket. If I cut close to the bracket I'll have to replace the grommet, but it may leave a stub to visegrip on after the tank comes off.
I do realize first reactions sometimes are not good...
Therefore, I sat and looked at it quite a while and than turned out the lights.

And now I am looking to the masses for advice.
Come on Kawboys, give it up!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You can try to wedge something behind the shroud and the insert while trying to back it out... this will give you some extra leverage. Sometime getting an angle on the screw helps also while using the wedge method.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I used a blunt drill bit on the bolt, it heated it all up enough to pull the insert out of the tank. I then was able to get the bolt out and reglued the insert back in. Probably not the best way to do it but it was effective.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
sjp

Post by sjp »

Hey KDXer...

Just trying to clarify...
With the tank still bolted to the bike you created enough heat through the bolt, through the brass insert to soften the plastic.
And then by pulling on the bolt, the insert and grommet all came through the frame tab?

By looking at the other side, it does look possible.

Thanks,
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

It's trouble, for sure.

Gas tank plastic does breath..and therefore are resistant to a lot of adhesives. I've tried several in another similar situation, have yet to find one that does STICK over time.

Whatever it is you DO use, use at least anti-seize on the bolt when you put it together, even a threadlocker is better than nothing. Yeah, a threadlocker will increase the amount of pressure required to take it off next time, but it won't get as stuck as using nothing.

My choice is anti-seize.

I marked the head of the bolt so I don't have to remember WHICH bolt to be careful with 'next time'.

Good luck!

Oh..it's easy to x-thread those inserts, too...them being brass. It doesn't help that the shrouds (for one) generally don't line up real well.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

Would it be possible to use that ski repair stick that melts and drips into the scratches? Ski? CC? any of you snow types?
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
GS

Post by GS »

Sounds like a job for "GOOP" glue? Can't believe how well it sticks to plastic...jet ski rub rail re-attached...still going strong a year later, despite LOTS of abuse. Fixed my Hondaline plastic saddlebags with HUGE cracks...100% as strong as before(it shrinks, so I used lots)

Takes a few days before you want to lean on it though...longer you wait, better it will be. Use lots...warm part up just a bit(slightly warm to the touch)...glue should be feelin a little warm also. Don't know if there is a problem with gasoline and you better have everything ready to go when the top comes off the glue. Use latex glove(s) and DON'T GET IT ON YOUR SKIN, cause it'll be there forever. One last thingie....good ventilation is important with that stuff.
You should CK first on the gasoline thing, though I'd likely try it unless it specifically says NO WAY

Greg
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

>|<>QBB<
sjp wrote:Hey KDXer...

Just trying to clarify...
With the tank still bolted to the bike you created enough heat through the bolt, through the brass insert to soften the plastic.
And then by pulling on the bolt, the insert and grommet all came through the frame tab?

By looking at the other side, it does look possible.

Thanks,
Thats exactly right....

I just used 2 part Aryldite and its still in there years later.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Goop is some amazing stuff, and don't matter which kind you use; Plumbers Goop, Marine Goop etc...

It's all the same stuff, just a marketing strategy that saved the company
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
GS

Post by GS »

GOOP, comes in all manner of labelled, suggested uses....even "Shoe" GOOP. I've seen 5 or 6 label types..each from the same vat of sticky...and I do mean sticky stuff. But it sticks to seemingly anything thats clean.
sjp

Post by sjp »

Alright, the brass insert is out and the tank is off the bike.

KDXer had the right idea, but the brass piece(which is square) will not come throught the frame tab.

I actually ripped out the black rubber grommet with needle nose pliers and held a soldering iron against the metal sleeve that is inside the grommet to heat the plastic.

When it did come out I was able to lift the tank out and than unscrew the insert.

The bitch is that it was not crossed threaded but instead the previous owner must have lost he bolt and used a longer one.

The longer bolt actually bottomed out in the insert and tightened itself to the insert.

I will try to follow the repair tips, I'm thinking of using a 2 part epoxy called Devcon. Used it on other parts and it may work on this.

Thanks for the tips.
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

I just bought an 01 220. The previous owner was an idiot and did the same - jammed a long bolt in and locked it up until it rotated - this was the back shroud bolt in my case.
I ended up drilling out the bolt head so I could get the shroud off, then drilled further to remove the remnants. Even with an easy-out I couldn't get the rest out so I ended up drilling larger and then rethreading it. Unfortunately, even though I used JB weld to hold it, it still would rotate, but since the location was the rear shroud bolt, I just drilled the shroud so I could zip tie it to the frame tube.

Some people should not own machines - this thing still had the original tires on it but was grossly corroded on one side from power washing without rinsing, the loose sparkplug gasket wasn't even squashed and spooge had been blowing out the top, the throttle cable was jammed between the tank and the frame and would stick wide open, the clutch cable was aready shot from a huge kink they somehow managed to put in it, the idle screw was turned all the way in, in an attempt to get it runnng (it didn't), and worst of all the dang air filter was misalligned and dirt had gotten past it. Even the gas cap was broken.

I completely tore down this low-time bike like it was a clunker (lucked out the cylinder was still in good shape). What a drag...but now it rips! Thank heavens they couldn't get it running so they could do more damage. :shock:

This was really a nail-biter, should I buy this or not? Gulp. But I really wanted a 220 - I'm glad I did now. I feel like I rescued it. :supz:
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
GS

Post by GS »

Well, you did rescue it.

Now the two of you can go off on one adventure after another.
Worthwhile, I would say :supz:

Greg