Risks of not having a spark arrestor?

Got questions? We got answers....
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Risks of not having a spark arrestor?

Post by 2001kdx »

What are the risks of not running a spark arrestor in the woods? Is it a serious possibility to light the woods on fire? I'm just wondering because iv'e been riding with a yz250f, it's loud as hell but i usually can't tell because I'm way out in front - when the terrain opens up... that bike is amazing, electric smooth. No thumpers for me though
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

jail and stiff fines

here they can make you pay for the cost of fighting the fire!

Say you are out riding,and unbeknownst to you a forest fire starts in that general area
On your way home you get stopped, police, forest service whatever... and they discover you don't have a spark arrestor?!

I don't know if what I've heard is true or not , but I've always heard they don't even have to prove it was you if they catch you without an S/A under that kind of circumstance
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

As a victim of a wildland fire, I implore you, DON'T DO IT!!!!

If you do (or your riding companion on the YZ does), then do us all a favor and ride without a helmet too.

Also, my law, (the only one that matters) states there is an open season on anyone riding the woods without a sparky.

In case anyone has any doubts as to my opinion of such an irresponsible, selfish, not to mention deadly (RIP my Katie dear) act; let me say it as plain as I can; Start a fire that puts me or any of my loved ones in harms way (again) and I'll personally teach you what fire is all about.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
skipro3 wrote:As a victim of a wildland fire, I implore you, DON'T DO IT!!!!

If you do (or your riding companion on the YZ does), then do us all a favor and ride without a helmet too.

Also, my law, (the only one that matters) states there is an open season on anyone riding the woods without a sparky.

In case anyone has any doubts as to my opinion of such an irresponsible, selfish, not to mention deadly (RIP my Katie dear) act; let me say it as plain as I can; Start a fire that puts me or any of my loved ones in harms way (again) and I'll personally teach you what fire is all about.
Let me know if you need any help!
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

Anyone that rides a POS that doesn't have a spark arrestor AND is too loud is open season in my book. Sorta like a fag tag. Ya get to bag a fag even if ya don't have a tag. Those that ride with these law breaking and "menaces to my riding future" are willing accomplices. Don't ride with law breakers until they fix their POS.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
layoutd

Post by layoutd »

too bad all those nice new offroad ktms don't come with a spark arrester. you better get a lot of bullets for those that put all that money down for a pumpkin and could not afford the new S/A right away.
Eatin' ain't Cheatin'
stringburner
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by stringburner »

The risk of setting a fire on a non-arrested 4-stroke are much greater than on a 2-stroke (if it's even possible on a 2-stroke). 4 stroke exhaust temps run much higher than on 2 cycle engines. He needs to get a spark arrestor.
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Stringburner is correct. i.e. In answer to your question it is highly improbable that a 2-cycle dirt bike can start a fire since the exhaust temperature is so much lower than a 4 cycle, combined with cooling effects of the expansion chamber and the wet nature of the exhaust due to reversion of the intake charge. Any chips of hot carbon released from the piston crown is cooled down as it passes into the environment.

Four strokes dirt bikes do not have significant expansion chambers (keeps their exhaust temperatures high); their exhaust temperatures run higher as the gases exit the head, their exhaust gases are dry compared to a 2-cycle. These all contribute to allowing hot particles of carbon to flake off and enter the riding environment.

Four cycle bikes can also start fires in the right conditions just off their exhaust pipe contact with dry grass for a sufficient period of time. You can watch a lot of single tube pipes on 4-cycle dirt bikes turn red at night if they warm up for 5 minutes or so.

The other obvious reasons to run a spark arrestor have been pointed out earlier..

The new KTMs don't come with sparky's anymore because of EPA regulations related to the import of their bikes - according to the dealers
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
radonc73
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by radonc73 »

I have noticed that almost every riding area requires them now, thanks to 4-strokes. I have ridden my bike of 5 years thinking I had one and never started a fire. I now have one, but I have never seen a 2-stroke backfire. so I never worried about it but definitely would have gotten one earlier if I knew just to be safe.
Riding is living everything else, is just waiting.
Master of the casual pace
83 KDX 200
93 KDX 250
84 YTM 225 DX 3-WHEELER
layoutd

Post by layoutd »

shall we say another good reason the use the heavier, maintenance free stock KDX S/A?
Eatin' ain't Cheatin'
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Well, I calmed down (just a little though). S/A aren't just a political statement or an arbitrary requirement. Maybe newer bikes don't Backfire but on my old 1974 Husky, that thing would Back fire just trying to start it. Usually with a thrust back into my boot that would launch me over the bars. My Bultaco would backfire too.

It's just hard to imagine that there are still riders out there who think loud equals more power. Give all riders a break and for once consider the future of the sport.

I understand that a hot piece of carbon might not be shot out of a two stroke pipe, but it is a YZ250F that was reported as running without.

Regardless of the chance, or likelyhood; just don't do it. It really isn't worth it to tick off the monkey!! Now, if you don't mind, send me your little buddy's address; the one with the YZ250F and no S/A. I'd like to buy him an arrestor and send it to him. I need the year of the bike so I get the right one.

Also, I'm sorry if anyone mis-interpeted my post for the threat of physical violence. It was retorical. I wouldn't harm anyone and I wouldn't want to get banned from this site for a mis-understanding of my rant. (AKA ebay!!)
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
tim
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by tim »

If I went through what you did they would have to ban me from the planet for what I said and did.
06 200H

GALLERY!
2001kdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by 2001kdx »

This is all good stuff, thanks guys, and don't worry ski, I usually ride with him at the track, the noise level alone of that thing has made me choose a different riding partner - I'd rather ride with a slower, inexperienced rider than letting everyone hear what's going on behind that nice neighborhood... not to mention the set a forest fire and endanger people's lives. Thanks for the input.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

So...you got banned from ebay TOO!!??

You're incorrigible!!

Unfortunately, Wibben's point is probably the one that would make any difference.

Losing riding areas? So?

MAYBE starting fires? So?

To dang loud? So?

Illegal? So?

It will COST you!! Oh...I'll get one tomorrow.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!