Resistor vs non resistor plugs

Got questions? We got answers....
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Resistor vs non resistor plugs

Post by bradf »

Is anyone running a B8EG or (B8ES) vs a BR8EG or (BR8ES)? Is there any truth to these CDI discharge circuits being engineered for the plug's resistance to establish a precise discharge time? All I see is the possibility of the interference with radio on these bikes if they are used on the street. Beins mine is not, I think using a non-resistor EG plug will be just fine.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Brad, I also think there would be no problem, now that I've seen what's inside a CDI unit, thanks to Jaguar. But why risk any problems? I can't see an advantage to a non-resistor plug.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Ah, more fuel for the fire...My 89 comes stock with a B9ES (too cold a plug and a non-resistor plug) while the 90-94 (so I recall, could be wrong on this) come with BR9ES which is a resistor plug. The CDI's are the same. Which ones right? :wink:

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Precise discharge time? Do you have any reasonable link (other than some posted forum baloney) that says anything about that?

I would doubt that to be the case. To any extent it would have an impact...I doubt it would be measureable. Considering electricity to be traveling at the speed of light thereabouts...the timing event of a KDX is slow as molasses.

Even if you knew that using a non-R plug wouldn't bother your bike...it may well bother someone else's.

I agree with Ski. Why risk any problems?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

I took yer advice and got a BR8EG
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

M0rie: Obviously, the right plug is the one that costs more $$. ;)

Just because the spec changed doesn't necessarily mean one plug is 'wrong'. Spark plugs in most vehicle applications have migrated to resistor-type plugs over the years. I doubt that all vehicles using them have touchy electronics on-board. Before resistor plugs the use of resistive wires was common. You know..those crummy carbon impregnated things that would develop all sorts of cracks over time? You could open the hood of a running car in the dark and the engine compartment would be awash in a blue spark glow.

I'll bet'cha (don't know for a fact) it has some basis in govermental regulation concerning 'emissions'. As in, 'I'm from the governement. I'm here to help!'

Yeah. Right.

This from the web:
(http://www.nology.com/silverquest.html#Q18)
nology.com wrote: Question:
So non-resistor spark plugs are better for performance?

Answer:
Yes. If you are looking for performance you want to use non-resistor spark plugs. A resistor is exactly what the word implies. When the spark crosses the point of resistance some of the spark energy is lost. A resistor is like an electronic obstacle and could be the cause for a weak spark. Non-resistor spark plugs deliver a more powerful spark.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question:
Why do car manufacturers recommend resistor spark plugs?

Answer:
One reasons is actually emissions. Since the resistor is an obstacle it forces the spark voltage to be higher, assuring combustion in a lean mixture. Also resistor plugs are MUCH cheaper to produce. You will never find resistor plugs in serious race cars, yet these cars use some of the most sophisticated engine management and data acquisition systems. But these cars have no EMI problems. Why? The spark happens inside the combustion chamber where he is completely shielded by the metal cylinder head. No EMI can escape the combustion chamber.

Point of including it is to show the lunacy prevalent regarding resistor plugs. The above quote is bogus in so many ways it's funny! What a bunch of maroons!

But they do make the BEST plugs in the world!! Complete with a big fat center electrode! :wink:

I'll choose NGK's point of view (which 99% of everyone else..except maybe Spitfire..agrees with).

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Just for information's sake:

The 1989 - 1994 KDX200 E model manual shows B9ES for USA bikes and BR9ES for Canada and UK. The manual was printed in 1998.

The 1987 KDX200 and 1985 KDX200 manuals have the same info, B9ES for USA and BR9ES for C / UK.

The 1981 KDX250 manual shows B8ES, with no distinction for C / UK.

The 1988 KX125 / KX250 / KX500 manual shows non-resistor for USA and resistor for C / UK.

The 1990 KX125 / KX250 manual shows non-resistor for USA and resistor for C / UK.

The various CDI / igntion coil (the sparky part, not the stator ignition coil) may be different in C / UK. I think at least one is on the 1987 KDX200.
Does anyone have any thoughts on various electrical components within the electrical system being specifically for resistor or non-resistor plugs?

Thanks.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128