Got questions? We got answers....
Sky.A

need tips on learning to do wheelies

Post by Sky.A »

also breaking new boots TIA
Kauai Boy 04 kdx 200
beeds3000

Post by beeds3000 »

2 Strokes are alot more sensitive too throttle during a wheelie, which makes it alot harder to learn on a 2 stroke in my opinion. I learned just by lots and lots of practice and lots and lots of falling.
Geoff T. Biderman
AZRickD

Post by AZRickD »

I did several wheelies on a buddy's Yammie WR 450F. Just slowly twisted the throttle and up I went, in three gears (he does them in 4th and 5th). I didn't hold it for more than a couple-three seconds but I suppose I could have if I tried, and practiced. The 450 felt very controlable despite, or perhaps because of the extra 30 pounds in weight when compared to the KDX. My buddy routinely holds wheelies down the road at 60mph.

I can get the wheel up on the KDX220 and do so for obstacle clearance and little else. I have't used the clutch for the purpose, just a 1/4 blip on the throttle. For trail riding, lifting the wheel several inches is no big deal.

However, when trying (I didn't try very hard) to hold the KDX in a sustained wheelie, it felt more twitchy due to the throttle, like I'd easily flip over if I wasn't careful -- and due to my lack of experience, I didn't know how far to go. It will take more practice to do it like a 4T. But I'm not too terribly interested in perfecting it.

Rick
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Like already said, PRACTICE, PRACTICE and more PRACTICE.

RE: Boots.

Wear them around the house as often as you can.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Sky.A

Post by Sky.A »

thanx fellas
Kauai Boy 04 kdx 200
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Ride a CR500

Wheelies are not a problem

But keeping the front end down's another story! :wink:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
crazyaboutriding

Post by crazyaboutriding »

ya, i would have to agree that 4 strokes are mutch easyer to weelie on.

about the not knowing how far to go, i suggest just work on small ones and try to find a comfortable area yet somewhat balanced. that's what i've been working on, and i'm slowly working on it. i can start near the power band on seccond just to get the front wheel up, shift in the weelie and go a ways in third gear, and that seems to help me out a bit. just be careful with throttle control when you shift, the first time it will feel like it wants to flip over. :shock: so once you shiftlust hold a little ammount of throttle and allow the front wheel to go down about six inches and you will be free to go there. once you get real good you may be able to do that all the way through sixth (my dad's friend is good at it and start from first gear and get all the way into fifth and go for what seems like forever.
Kevin
'00 KDX 200
motorhed220

Post by motorhed220 »

You gotta find a comfort zone on your bike thats far enough back on seat, so when the wheel is up, you can balance the bike and keep her going. getting up is no problem, if you wanna just crack it up, nail the throttle in 1st or 2nd, and itll come up REAL quick. But like ppl said, on 2 strokes, they can be tricky to keep up, my pal who does em all the time says to keep blippin the throttle while your up, and balance your self on the back.

And DO NOT CLUTCH IT!!!! The KDX has more than enough power to do it everyday all day without the clutch. Remember the clutch is for shifting, nothing else, so ont think by slippin it or w/e that itll help you, youll just plant your ass in he ground REAL fast, no clutch, all throttle and timing. and dont forget to Practice it a LOT!!!
Live to Ride, Ride to live!!!
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

I'd have to disagree w/ that....I use my clutch for everything but shifting (except WOT power-shifting). Oh yeah, remember that your rear brake is your great savior in wheelie attempts....It's the anti-loop pedal. FWIW, I can't wheelie for crap.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Since I have an auto clutch, my rear brake is now where my clutch lever was. I just juggle the throttle and this hand operated rear brake to maintain my balance point. It is very easy to control. I recommend learning to do stand-up wheelies over sit-down wheelies. Reason is, it's easier to see down the trail and it doesn't feel like you are going to loop the bike. Sitting down, the front end feels like it's coming back over on you too easily.
Ride the rear brake when learning. It's better to err on that side and not loop out until you can judge how much rear brake you need.
Remove the rear fender too. It'll save you some cash.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

I use the clutch ONLY when I have to. Constant Up & Down shifting in the tight is easier w/o yanking the lever. Wheelies, I DO NOT use the clutch, just shift as you need. Also, learn to keep your foot on the brake lever, when you feel you are going over TAP THE BRAKE and YOUR SAFE
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
motorhed220

Post by motorhed220 »

I never said you HAD to use the clutch for shifting, i was only high-lighting it's mechanical purpose...and everyone's bike is somewhat different (Fuzzy seems to "need" to use his clutch a lot) i find my clutch is rairly used except for the obvious times, (stopping while in gear, Sudden stops, etc)

Just clairifying....
Live to Ride, Ride to live!!!