Water Pump seal Replacement..

Got questions? We got answers....
cfspawn

Water Pump seal Replacement..

Post by cfspawn »

Hey all
I have just received my new seals for my water pump there is 2 seals one is larger than the other i would imagine one would be for the water seal and the larger would be for gb oil can i get and replace both of these without taking the whole side cover off?
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

No you have to remove the clutch cover, water pump cover and side cover to remove the water pump shaft. Check the shaft when you pull it apart. If it is grooved your going to need to replace it as well or the seals will fail again in short order.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
cfspawn

Post by cfspawn »

what about for just the water seal? or is it best to do em both.
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Its best to do them both as well as the bearing. On my 89 the shaft was grooved, the seal was toast and the bearing wasn't in the best of shape. Since it takes some effort to tear it down to check it's worth just replacing the whole mess if the parts are border line so that you don't have to tear it back down again in 3-4 months.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
cfspawn

Post by cfspawn »

Morie i need your help.
I have disassembled the whole water pump system including impeller, bearing and seals but the seals i ordered for this model (90 KDX) dont even look close to fitting and thus cannot figure out where they go!
I have noticed that my waterpump setup is the same as a H model KDX (95 ownwards) for instance my impeller is a round (turbine shape) unlike what i am suppose to have (according to buykawakaki part diagrams and also my service manual states that it should be a "ninja star" shaped impeller as well as a bolt to hold it on mine uses a nut. the two oil seals that i received (kay dee exers picture 4) are totally different from the ones that were in the bike already(between the side case and the bearing would be at least doubt 30-35 mm,
the seal on the far right of this pic is the old worn oil seal where the seal on the far left is supposed to be the replacement (obviously a big difference)
there will be more pics to follow which kay dee exer has uploaded for me.
Last edited by cfspawn on 11:16 am Jul 07 2006, edited 2 times in total.
cfspawn

Post by cfspawn »

sorry try again

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Well i'm completely lost now cf. From what I recall that looks nothing like the waterpump setup on my 89. I wonder if this is another on of those over the pond differences. Let me see if I can dig up the fiche diagrams for the SR models and see if the water pump is different from my E series.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
cfspawn

Post by cfspawn »

Thanks man your a champ! Yes it is a hairy one
cfspawn

Post by cfspawn »

Do you recall morie if your water pump shaft gear was (pictured last above) was or is a nylon gear or steel? as my manual states that it should be a nylon but its steel!
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

I believe it was steel, but its been quite a while since I replaced it.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

eh???????

do you own a kdx? :shock:

My 89 model waterpump look a lot different too!
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
cfspawn

Post by cfspawn »

Yes i must have the wrong oil seal for behind the shaft bearing.. there is no way i can tell that a bearing that small can be streched or pressed to that size
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Does this water pump setup look familiar to anyone ?? Can any H model users shed some light on this ?? I haven't had my water pump apart so I can't verify if it is indeed the same as a H models setup (although the buykawa part diagrams seem to indicate it is). Any help would be greatly appreciated as we are both pulling our hair out trying to decode the discrepancies. :? :? :sad: :sad:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I finally figured it out (AFTER BASICALLY LEARNING JAPANESE). A huge thanks to everyone that helped. FTR JAP 90 KDX200 and 90 KDX200SR have a different water pump setup.

90 KDX200

90 KDX200SR

m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Thats the ticket Trev! I couldn't find the Japanese SR diagrams but its pretty obvious that they are different from that fiche diagram.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

The thing that threw us (me) off is Spawns bike has a 35MM carb where as the SR is pictured with a round slide carb of some description. His carb is the same as a non SR model (E model with cresent shaped slide). FTR Heres the website I found the info.

http://www.kawasaki-motors.com/parts_cat

cfspawn

Post by cfspawn »

Trev your a legend. Yes that is the go. although still doesnt make alot of sense to me as my Frame number is DX200E-010878 but yet to confirm the engine number and my carb is a 35mm carb and has no wiring for any blinkers or anything.. Werid. but ill go with that I have sent the old seals back for credit and they have the correct seals in stock so thats a bonus hopefully ready for this coming weekend :supz:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

m0rie wrote:I wonder if this is another on of those over the pond differences.
M0rie said this before I got here, so I didn't figure repeating it would be of any use.

I'd looked for the SR model at buykawi..they didn't list it.
KayD wrote:A huge thanks to everyone that helped.
I'll read that as written. Thanks m0rie!

:wink:

**edit**
It took awhile to load...but thanks for that link KayD!! :roll:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:
m0rie wrote:I wonder if this is another on of those over the pond differences.
canyncarvr wrote:M0rie said this before I got here, so I didn't figure repeating it would be of any use.
Indeed he did, unfortunately we were thrown off by his having a 35mm carb and lack of oil injection etc.
KayD wrote:A huge thanks to everyone that helped.

I'll read that as written. Thanks m0rie!
An EXTRA special THANKS to Maurice and and also credit to Philippe. Cheers guys.
canyncarvr wrote:It took awhile to load...but thanks for that link KayD!! :roll:
My pleasure... Have fun working it all out. :wink: