NO SPARK after rebuild of bike

Got questions? We got answers....
beeds3000

NO SPARK after rebuild of bike

Post by beeds3000 »

I just put my kdx all back toghter since the frame got painted, I removed the paint to bare metal where the Ground goes and have all the wires hooked back up color to color how it was but I left the box for the lights and the tail light wires disconnected since I don't have any lights on my bike, but it won't make any spark now when I kick it over ???? don't know what the deal is. I even hooked the bad stator up and light wires still nothing I'm out of Ideas any help ????
Geoff T. Biderman
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Wondering what the "box" for the lights is. Rectifier maybe? Got to feed the coil some regulated voltage - I think.

Engine stop switch "ungrounded" in the run position?

FWIW - Bike electrics not my strong suit!@!
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

The coil doesn't need a regulator to operate. Kill switch could certainly be the culprit. Try disconnecting it and see if you have spark.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

I'll admit that bike electrics are not my strong suit but if your going to build a strong electrical field witin a coil it sure seems easier to build that field with a DC current than an AC current.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
beeds3000

STILL NO SPARK (going to shop I guess)

Post by beeds3000 »

I have the coil grounded, I tried disconnecting the kill switch still nothing, I have hooked all the wires up just the way the manual states, still no shock, there must be something stupid and little I am missing it started and ran fine right before I stripped it down to paint the frame? any ideas before I spend 88$ and hour on labor
Geoff T. Biderman
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Put a new plug in it....

When you kick it with the headlight on...does it light?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
RBD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RBD »

Check all wiring grounds (newly painted surfaces ???), main wiring harness to frame and any newly painted areas where the engine is mounted.

Ron
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That's correct!

Motor ground points must be free of paint, not just the electronics mounting and grounding points.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
beeds3000

Post by beeds3000 »

I took a volt meter and the coil and the engine are reading that they have a ground still nothing, but when I put the volt meter from the spark plug plugged into the coil to the motor with the spark plug un screwed nothing so I think that means my coil is bad ???
Geoff T. Biderman
beeds3000

BAD COIL MAYBE ??? (voltmeter checked)

Post by beeds3000 »

I took a volt meter and the motor and bolts on the coil are reading a ground, but when I stick one of the ends of the volt meter where the spark plug plugs in and then on the engine there is no ground, so that leads me to believe my coil is bad, but how is that so if it worked fine right before I took the bike apart to be painted ??? where can I get a cheap coil from online ebay has nothing. ??? does that sound like the problem ???
Geoff T. Biderman
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Did you clean all the frames motor mounting points so that they are free from paint?

It's easy to throw money at it but it doesn't really make sense that it worked and now it doesn't.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Please don't start a new thread on the same subject. I then have to merge them and prefer not to have to do that. It loses flow....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

beeds3000

Post by beeds3000 »

Do I have to clean all the motor mounts, I took the paint off the rear one, I figure that would give it enough ground, the volt meter says the motor has a ground .
Geoff T. Biderman
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The further the ground is from the components that need grounding the worse your ground is.

So, it may be grounded but not well enough to produce spark.

Aluminum is not the best conductor to begin with.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

beeds3000

Post by beeds3000 »

I GOT IT RUNNING STUPID WIRE MESS UP !!!! BACK TO RIDING YA
Geoff T. Biderman
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

BRAAAAHP! :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

FTR..just because the bolt holding the ground on measures good to ground has nothing to do with whether the WIRE that's attached with that bolt 'sees' ground.

re: 'it sure seems easier to build that field with a DC current than an AC current.'

Like this?:

That's what those diodes do.

Oh...I didn't cleanup the kill swich comments from an earlier thread. DO note they are not wired in parallel in either case..but IN PLACE of exisitng wire.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!