clutch problems

Got questions? We got answers....
jophmu

clutch problems

Post by jophmu »

I think the clutch is going. When not cranked, sometimes it won't go into first. All the way down is neutral. When running, it will shift down to first just fine. When in gear, with the clutch pulled in , it pulls a little while feathering the throttle. While still and running, I put in first and it will stall out with the clutch lever still pulled in. I have to take off quick.

Appreciate any help
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Sounds like a plate sticking problem that may be recrified by changing your clutch oil.

When was the last time you changed it? And what did you use?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
jophmu

Re: clutch problems

Post by jophmu »

>|<>QBB<
jophmu wrote:I think the clutch is going. When not cranked, sometimes it won't go into first. All the way down is neutral. When running, it will shift down to first just fine. When in gear, with the clutch pulled in , it pulls a little while feathering the throttle. While still and running, I put in first and it will stall out with the clutch lever still pulled in. I have to take off quick.

Appreciate any help
Actually, I just changed the clutch cover gasket and I used 10 W40
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Did you try adjusting the cable?

KDX clutches are known to be kinda sticky.... your bike will creep while in gear usually and usually it is very hard to push if not lockup the rear wheel in gear with the motor not running.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
jophmu

Post by jophmu »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Did you try adjusting the cable?

KDX clutches are known to be kinda sticky.... your bike will creep while in gear usually and usually it is very hard to push if not lockup the rear wheel in gear with the motor not running.
I did that also. I adjusted the cable to have a little more tension. I put a whole quart except for about 2 or 3 ounces. Is that about right?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yea... that's to quiet down the clutch.

Sounds like you need to find the right oil.... some use Mobil1 ATF and some use Bel-Ray Gearsaver
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You could also have a broken or weak clutch spring, this will cause it to not quite disengage all the way.... They need equal tension across the board.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

jophmu

Post by jophmu »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:You could also have a broken or weak clutch spring, this will cause it to not quite disengage all the way.... They need equal tension across the board.
Thanks a lot. I'll check that out in the morning.