KDX250 93 Idle Engine Tapping

Got questions? We got answers....
ra88it

KDX250 93 Idle Engine Tapping

Post by ra88it »

Hi Guys

Hi Guys

Recently bought a kdx250 93. I Have a slight tapping sound from the top end area of engine whilst at idle. There is no noise whilst at revs or whilst coasting. Compression is good, idles perfect and accelerates smooth and strong. Not sure what it is? Only at idle? I was recently told it might be either the exhaust valve or power valve (KIPS)? Anyone have any ideas? Sounds like the tapping is in queue with the piston?

Cheers
Ryan
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Get a mechanics stethoscope and move it around the motor... it will help you pinpoint where is is coming from.

But like I said before... it is more than likely the KIPS and this is normal.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
ra88it

KDX 93

Post by ra88it »

Thanks Indawoods

Yea sounds like kips. Will only worry if it gets loud or i start to loose compression and power. what do you think is the best way to check compression?. amazing how much related info is out there about the kips rattle even in new models. kawasaki must have used similiar valve design for quite some time.

cheers ryan
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Compression tester. Wouldn't worry about it unless it's a total dog.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project