clutch question

Got questions? We got answers....
rhinden

clutch question

Post by rhinden »

I just got my 2001 KDX220, and I've only ridden it twice, but there's definetely a problem with the clutch - it doesn't disengage fully when I pull the lever in all the way. I can't roll the bike when it's off unless I put it in neutral. However, I can however stop without stalling - but the idle drops noticably when I come to a complete stop.

I checked the manual and it seems the only way to adjust the clutch is to add or remove spacers internally! So my question is, do I need to add or remove spacers to fix my problem? Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks
Rebecca
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

1. Is the cable adjusted properly? Should be about 1/8 inch (2-3mm) of play at the clutch lever/cable interface prior to clutch resistance. Cable adjustment is located near clutch handle on the bars, and also at other end of cable near actuator arm.

2. The internal spacers are to adjust the angle of the actuator arm if the angle is not correct. Apparently you have a manual - does the arm look to be correctly positioned according to the manual's diagram?

3. KDXs are noted to have characteristic noises coming from the clutch area. Some people may try to quiet a bike down by running heavy oil in the transmission/clutch. Heavy oil/ excessive fill (overfill)/ over used (never changed) oil in the transmission could possibly be a problem. Is the oil clean and is there at least a little void in the top of the transmission oil sight glass when the bike is held straight up? Correct as necessary using appropriate oil viscosity, fill volume, etc.

4. If clutch cable is ok, actuator arm angle is correct, oil viscosity and fill correct then internal inspection is likely the next step.

Inside the clutch cover - is actuator to clutch pressure plate plunger rod or plunger worn or buggered? Is your outer clutch hub grooved causing the clutch plates in hang-up?

These are the steps and the order which I would proceed to check out your problem if it were my bike. Please let us know what you find. Charley
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

A notchy basket can cause exaggerated 'stickage' of the sort you indicate. That is usually accompanied by shifting problems.

Take a look at another similar thread...'Clutch Problem'..close to this one.

Well, close right now anyway. Author: eram310

Welcome to KDXRider!

There is a section 'Friends of the Site'...stop by and say 'Hi'. It is helpful when it comes to helping answer questions if folks know your environs, bike, configuration and all that blather.

If everything on your bike is just fine...it will STILL do what yours is doing.

Push it less...ride it more! :wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Nothing more I can add to these great replies, except to search for the threads on the auto-clutch.

Well, maybe a warpped plate would cause problems. I had one and once replaced, it worked much smoother.

Be very careful with the clutch disassembly and document the order things come apart. There's a washer under the basket that stickes via the oil film attracting it to the basket. If you are not paying attention, you won't see it, it will fall off without you noticing it and when reassembled, it won't work right. I know.

Welcome to the site and post up like carvr said and let us know about you. Also, how you came about finding the site.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

It's true...plates do sometimes warp due to excessive heat...or when worn past service limits..or due to clutch 'abuse' (using it a LOT!).

Sometimes they warp when you bolt'm up wrong and cinch down all the hardware, too. :roll:

I wouldn't know about that...but I've heard stories.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!