piston question. PRetty sure it is not good?

Got questions? We got answers....
the trail rider

piston question. PRetty sure it is not good?

Post by the trail rider »

on my kdx 220 which has not been rebuilt, from the intake side behind the reeds, the piston has a hole a decent sized hole. probably as big as the wrist pin hole or maybe a little bigger. Is that supposed to be there. I am pretty sure there is only supposed to be a tiny hole to let the crankcase breath right, this thing is big compared to that. is it chipped or broken. I am pretty sure it is but just wondering guys, that is probably why I am having my low end problems. and also(if it is broken) IS there a way to fish it out of my bottom end with a BIG Magnet. thanks, The Trail rider.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Pull the motor, pull the topend and turn it upside down! :shock:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Post a pic. Or terminate questions with a question mark. The stock piston has an oval hole , bigger than the wrist pin holes on the intake side. It also has a cut out in the skirt below that. Care to guess how the mixture gets down into the crankcase? :wink:
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
the trail rider

so your saying it's not good. oh boy. I hope to god that it didn't scratch up the cylinder walls.correct me if i am wrong, that hole is not supposed to be there right. It is supposed to be a tiny little hole, right. oh great. probably why it was louder last time I rode it to. I put the stock pipe on to see if it was the pipe and it was still boggy with the vfIII still in. tell me if my speculations are correct.
get a lift, fat chicks can't jump!

when in doubt gas it!
the trail rider

mike so youre saying it does have an oval hole on the stock piston. I have the manual and I looked at the piston and it only had a tiny hole in it and the arrrow facing forward and all.

when in doubt gas it!
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

The arrow points to the exhaust port. The Exhaust side of the piston has little tiny lubrication holes, 4 of them in fact. BTW, the stock piston on a 220 has been known to break ya know. Some don't maybe you'll be lucky. The stock 200 pistons seem to be fine.
Mike

'04 KDX220
the trail rider

yeah I know they break. Seeing that big hole in the intake side scared the hell out of me. oh well back to the drawing board to figure out why my bike hates the desert pipe except when the kips gears open.

when in doubt gas it!
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

hehee,, do I have a pipe for you! :twisted: too bad we're not closer. I have a torque pipe that I'm tired of. would like a rev pipe to try.
Mike

'04 KDX220
the trail rider

I am sure my bike needs a rebuild any way. that could be why it is running so bad, loss of compression or something, maybe to much ring blowby. I was told to get the desert for the 220 and so far I am not very impressed at how it took away almost all of my low end snap, and for the most part power in the lower rpms. I love the top end it gives me, but I do not like screaming it out all the time, it seemed like if I was gonna ride in the higher gears I had to haul ass to stay with some power :sad: . the one thing I did like about the stock pipe was that it had a ton of low end :grin: . Maybe I should have gotten the woods pipe. :mad:

when in doubt gas it!
marco220
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by marco220 »

I have the stock piston from my '02 220 and I measured the hole on the intake side....
Approx 13/16 wide x 5/8 tall (oval shape)

The exhaust side has four 1/8 holes.

I've seen the carnage of a broken skirt first hand... dump the stocker and drop in a Weisco. Better safe than sorry!
2002 KDX 220
RB'd Carb and Head

I don't crash often... but when I do, I'm going for style points!
Matt-itude

Post by Matt-itude »

ok you changed pipes but havent said anything about rejetting afterwards. That might be your lack of bottom end. just a thought.
Rhodester

Post by Rhodester »

Aluminum ain't magnetic. :wink:
'95 200H
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

re: 'Aluminum ain't magnetic.'

Ha!! Beat me to it....

I missed this:
1. The stock piston has an oval hole , bigger than the wrist pin

Then,

2. so your saying it's not good

I don't know about good, but it IS normal. Marco's post verified that..right?

Crud (including dropped clips and piston frags) can be removed from a crankcase a number of ways.

1. Put a gob (technical measure) of grease on the counterweights of the crank, rotate by hand to 'scoop' up the junk.

2. Run a clean/oiled rag through the case..chase it with the counterweight. Use a rag large enough to keep hold of one end in case it gets bound up on something.

3. Wash the case out with a light oil. Something magical like Marvel Mystery oil or some such. Diesel would probably work OK, too.

If your 220 doesn't have an acceptable lower-throttle response..even with a -30 pipe, it is very likely a jetting problem (other standard 'problems' like KIPS and no-compression being OK).

All of that is on another thread, ain't it?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!