Enclosed trailer question

Got questions? We got answers....
NM_KDX200

Enclosed trailer question

Post by NM_KDX200 »

For those of you that have/have used enclosed trailers, how useful (or not) is the smaller door on the side? Seems to me like just one more place to break-in, but whatsay?

Also, while we're all gathered here- does anyone have any experience with the WorkSport trailers made by Pace that Home Depot sells? I've got my eye on a used one (hard to find out here in the sticks).
1999 KDX 200
2001 KDX 220
2002 RM 134
2004 KX 125
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

I wouldn't own a trailer w/o one! I probably go in/out of my side door more than the back. The front is where you'll keep your tools, fuel, etc...
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

I agree with fuzzy, although I do not own a enclosed trailer. When my bike has been load into friend's enclosed trailers or when I have entered other enclosed trailers the front portion of the trailer is where tools, etc are stored.

When more than one bike is transported in even a small enclosed trailer maintenance of the bike within the trailer is still possible. This is due in part by locating the bike adjacent to the side door. i.e. physical assess, natural lighting, access to tools.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
NM_KDX200

Post by NM_KDX200 »

Well, KDX'ers, I drove to OKC and came home with a 6x12 enclosed trailer w/ side door, 2 rear doors (I didn't want a ramp), drop axles to lower the overall height, and 5' 6" interior (I'm 5' 5"!), white, rock guard on the front, vent, interior light. $2500, brand-new w/ 1 year warranty. Cut my Suburban's gas mileage from 19 mpg going to OKC to 12 mpg coming back. Pulls great, though- the 'burban didn't downshift much more with the trailer. Paid $2.09/gallon for gas in OKC, $2.45 in Amarillo.
1999 KDX 200
2001 KDX 220
2002 RM 134
2004 KX 125
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Nice, well done... :supz:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

How much at Home Depot??
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

I myself have been thinking about an enclosed trailer because of traveling and staying over in motels I'd like to have one myself just for piece of mind. All be-it if your hitch system is'nt very well thought out, the trailer does'nt matter because they take the whole thing trailer bikes and all. But in respect to your question about the side door, I would'nt own an enclosed trailer without one. Why? When it's in the dead of summer and your scorching hot, a side door could benefit you just to cool the inside of the trailer down. A small breeze comming through an inclosed trailer is nice. That would be my #1 reason for opting for a side door. The small top vents only can do so much. If you have a generator that you can plug a fan into, it would alow you to use the trailer for shade and have a fan to create your own breeze. On a 90 deg. day thats very nice to have. But you have to have a side door to get air moving through the trailer though.

Just remember, being a victim of burglury several times in my house growing up, if they want in, they will find away. It's a very un-nerving thing to say but it's true. The only thing you can do is plan everything out the best you can and hope that it's enough to discourage theifs from even trying. Thats the best advice I can give if your worried about having a side door on your trailer.

Jon.
NM_KDX200

Post by NM_KDX200 »

>|<>QBB<
jafo wrote:I All be-it if your hitch system is'nt very well thought out, the trailer does'nt matter because they take the whole thing trailer bikes and all.
I've got a lock on the receiver pin, a lock on the trailer hitch, locks on the doors. That's all I can do.

You know those magnetic stick-on signs? I was thinking of getting one for the trailer:
"Ronnie's Rattlesnake Ranch
We deliver The Big Ones!!
1-800-BIG-FANG"
1999 KDX 200
2001 KDX 220
2002 RM 134
2004 KX 125
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

>|<>QBB<
NM_KDX200 wrote:>|<>QBB<
jafo wrote:I All be-it if your hitch system is'nt very well thought out, the trailer does'nt matter because they take the whole thing trailer bikes and all.
I've got a lock on the receiver pin, a lock on the trailer hitch, locks on the doors. That's all I can do.

You know those magnetic stick-on signs? I was thinking of getting one for the trailer:
"Ronnie's Rattlesnake Ranch
We deliver The Big Ones!!
1-800-BIG-FANG"
Now thats an original idea! Not bad. That would keep some of those idiots out. But like I said, do all you can do, because thats all you can do. I think most of these thiefs are to lazy to go through to much effort to steal bikes. But there are some that will actually work harder to steal something when it would have been easier to get a job and earn thier money legaly. Kind of like the guy or gal everyone works with from time to time that works harder to get out of a job than if they would have just done the job and been done with it.

I too have a reciever hitch and use a tongue lock but I need to get a lock for my reciver and ball. I went to Springfield this summer and drove down the night before and stayed over in a motel before going on to the riding area. Open trailer and $10,000 dollars worth of bikes on it. We got some air craft cables with locks and locked them to the trailer but it did'nt help me sleep that night. Would'nt you know, when we got there. The clerk put us in the middle of the damn motel. No windows and farthest away from the parking area. We parked the truck and trailer next to the office all night and hoped for the best. Like I said before, I'll be looking into an inclosed trailer sometime in the near future.

Jon.
fulltiltboogie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by fulltiltboogie »

>|<>QBB<
NM_KDX200 wrote:>|<>QBB<
Get one of these!!!
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/overton ... fcat=2AN12
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Screw all that... just get a big enough trailer that you can sleep in... and pack the trusty Glock. :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

You ever see the flame throwing car? It was suppose to be the answer to car jackings. I can't remember where I seen it but it showed a guy trying to car jack this women, and he got scorched by a big ball of flames comming from under the drivers door. You could do that. But if you have my luck you'd forget to disarm it and wind up burning yourself up. :lol:

Jon.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I once heard of a guy who installed a toggle switch and a second coil to a spark plug inside the gas tank. But forget even once, and it's all over.

But it got me thinking; just wire a second sparkplug coil to the frame and a thief would just get a good jolt as soon has the bike fired up.

A stun gun connected to the clutch lever and a toggle switch would be cool. Forget to toggle it off wouldn't kill you. but someone pulls in the clutch lever and they'd be on the ground.

I've got a great idea for the next Asshat stirring in my monkeymind now!!! Open the package and get stunned. ZAPPP!!! Like a bug in one of those bugzappers!!! Haw!!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
NM_KDX200

Post by NM_KDX200 »

>|<>QBB<
NM_KDX200 wrote:Well, KDX'ers, I drove to OKC and came home with a 6x12 enclosed trailer w/ side door, 2 rear doors (I didn't want a ramp), drop axles to lower the overall height, and 5' 6" interior (I'm 5' 5"!), white, rock guard on the front, vent, interior light. $2500, brand-new w/ 1 year warranty. Cut my Suburban's gas mileage from 19 mpg going to OKC to 12 mpg coming back. Pulls great, though- the 'burban didn't downshift much more with the trailer. Paid $2.09/gallon for gas in OKC, $2.45 in Amarillo.
This trailer is for sale. Northeastern New Mexico. $2000 would take it away.

Gas at $2.09/gallon?? The good old days!!!
1999 KDX 200
2001 KDX 220
2002 RM 134
2004 KX 125
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Already?!?!
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
NM_KDX200

Post by NM_KDX200 »

Yeah- I'm having some expensive vehicle problems and with the price of gas, I just don't see us driving places to go riding much this summer. And to be honest, I'm still having dust problem- I live down 10 miles of very dusty road and things inside the trailer will be just covered with dust. I took the wood off the inside and sprayed expandable foam and stuffed pink insulation between the wood and walls. That helped a bunch, but it's still dusty. My wife thinks that the sides moving might be sucking dust into the trailer. If I end up keeping it, I'll have to try high forced air vents or something. On the road, great. On your typical dirt road, great. On our billowing rooster-tail dusty roads....not so great. See as there will be a light coat of dust over things in the back of the Suburban, I'm not sure that ANY enclosed trailer can be dust-proof on these roads.

So, I'd like to sell it (and I have a bunch of other stuff for sale, too) and start looking at a 4-door pickup. Put the bikes in the back. We could pull our pop-up trailer that way and go camping/riding. If it doesn't sell, I won't cry. But if it does, I'll be happy.[/i]
1999 KDX 200
2001 KDX 220
2002 RM 134
2004 KX 125
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

I would think the side door would come in pretty handy on hot day to get air flowing through the trailer. Those inclosed jobbies get pretty hot. I plan on looking towards the endof the year for one, and I won't even consider one if it does'nt have the side door.
NM_KDX200

Post by NM_KDX200 »

Mine has a side door. Has a side door, two rear doors. It's great to shut one of the rear doors and open the front- that way you get shade and privacy while still getting air flow. I don't really spend much time sitting around in the trailer, though... :wink:

It also has:
drop axles
full 6' interior height
overhead skylight/vent
interior light
exterior diamond front
recessed rear lights
spare tire
plywood (not "luan") interior
1999 KDX 200
2001 KDX 220
2002 RM 134