spring noise

Got questions? We got answers....
Mark W
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Hey hey wait a minute

Post by Mark W »

Yep, these spacers exist just like Inda says. I kinda screwed mine up when doing that work and Inda was a big help.

don't know what could be causing the problem you mention other than something not being square or the spacers not doing the job correctly would be my guess. I would doubt that you have bad springs but one never knows.

Sorry, this was suppose to be under the post below on spring noise. Jeez, another screw-up.

Mark
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

I have an ALCOA tube that Race Tech provided with the springs. I can cut that. I have a brand-new HD pipe cutter. There is enough material to cut a stock length for both plus the length for the new springs. Is there a known length you know of to cut the spacer for the .42 springs?
Thanks for all of your help.
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

My shop is going to look at it "no charge" I will post a follow up when they figure it out, if they do.
KDX_Kuhn

Post by KDX_Kuhn »

kdennan, did you ever fix this issue. What was the end result? I just put new springs in my bike and have "the sound" ...I'll be disesembeling tomorrow.
2003 KDX220R
1972 Rupp 440!

"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

Woah. That was weird. I saw the post just now after a few busy days away from the pooter and I see my posts on the noise brought back from the dead.
I fixed it but only because I went with .38kgs' instead. I have been kicking Jenny Craigs ass lately and have worked my way down to a svelt 190 lbs. in my jammies! Even when I talked with Jeff after I had determined that I correctly installed the .42's (race tech) and they still made noise, I have to chalk it up to the fact that they make the noise because they are so stiff! If your a big gun and need those .44's then you are going to have to live with the ching-ching. That is also backed up by Jeff.
So, yes. I did get it resolved but only after putting in the correct spring rate. What do you weigh if you don't mind me askin'? Race Tech definitely suggests spring rates on the stiff side. I can only guess that it is something to do with the MX influence and the west coast terrain; i.e. Desert and otherwise wide open, high speed, hard hitting, dry as a bone terra firma!
I think that I remember Jeff telling me that if you are in the 200 range +/-, you'll benefit from installing his .38's or any others for that matter. Most fellas on this fine site sound like they prefer the XR 400 springs because they don't require spacers.
Let me know. Just trying to help.
P.S. When I look at my post I feel a little flushed because I tried to go the shop route first because I had a moment of "lack of confidence in my mechanical abilities." :oops:
KDX_Kuhn

Post by KDX_Kuhn »

Well I hit the scale at 212 and just bought FRP .40 kg/mm springs. Once I posted I disassembled and tried Inda's technique of turning the tubes instead of the top nut. I think that took some of the noise away but not all....then after i was almost satisfied the right fork started making a clicking sound like some thing was getting hung up inside with every compression, GREAT! :mad: I thought maybe i'll just ride it a bit and it will go away...then I bust one of the lower axle cap studs in half reassembling. I gotta find one in town tomorrow. Question: Once the forks are reassembed does one have to readjust the bottom clickers? I never touched them, yet. Do you just remove the bottom hex nut, 1/2 or so to get to the adjusters under the black rubber??
2003 KDX220R
1972 Rupp 440!

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Just pop out that rubber plug and the clicker is right in the middle....

You will want to play with the clickers to get the compression setting correct... especially when you change out springs.

The main purpose of turning the tubes onto the cap is so that you do not turn the spring thereby binding it causing the clicking. It has always worked for me but I take my time when working on the bikes because if I don't have to tear it apart again then I am ahead of the game...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDX_Kuhn

Post by KDX_Kuhn »

I am going nutz!. :rolleyes:

My fork are both making the "click" sound with just a hint of "pogo stick" sound. I have taken them apart five times now. I need a sanity check. They make the "click" sound after about 1 inch of travel. This is on the bike or off the bike. It can only be the spring slapping the inside of the tube as it starts to compress/distort OR something hanging up and then releasing inside, right? I have inspected the inside of the tubes and it is free from defects and the nut, jam nut, rod, shim, spacer, shim set up look fine and seem to alighned up good. I have turned the tubes up to the nut each time like Inda suggusts.

"Jason" wrote: As a spring compresses (shock or fork), it tends to twist. Also, since the '95 and up KDX's do not have a spring guide, that may lead to some of the clicking or rubbing problems that you '95 and up guys sometimes mention. I don't know why the '95 and up forks do not have a guide, but they don't. It seems pretty helpful on the USD forks I have worked on.

Do others on this site have unusual sounds from their forks?
Does the preload of 3 mm-10 mm have anything to so with this? ...the proper assemble is just to run the top nut/cap down till it bottoms on the rod end then run the jam nut up to it and tighten, right?
Do I need to use the extra PVC tubng that FRP sent with the new fork springs to make a different spacer? The letter said the stock spacer was recomended.

DOES THIS NOISE EVEN MATTER? :hmm:

I probable have more questions but we will see how many helpful KDXers bite on this first. Thanks.
2003 KDX220R
1972 Rupp 440!

KDX_Kuhn

Post by KDX_Kuhn »

After finally just calling FRP I have the answers.

The "click" noise is common with aftermarket springs per the conversation with FRP tech reps. The aftermarket springs are slightly smaller in OD to accommodate various applications and tend to "slap" the inner tube when compression starts causing the "click" or "tink" sound. FRP says it’s not damaging and the forks will work as intended. I guess I will just have to get used to the noise.
2003 KDX220R
1972 Rupp 440!

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

My XR springs made no noise whatsoever at all never. Maybe they are the correct diameter?

Re: 'they prefer the XR 400 springs because they don't require spacers.'

Basically, no.

That they 'don't require' is not correct. They do require.

Whatever the spacer, that is not the reason I preferred them.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!