Inverted forks on a kdx

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
kdx220dave

Inverted forks on a kdx

Post by kdx220dave »

Ok i am new here.
Heres what I know and maybe you guys can help me with the rest.
I bought a set of inverted forks from a 96 kx 125,I also got the triple clamps front hub and brake caliper with hose.
My son works at a Kawi dealer and looked up the head set bearings and all the lowers are the same but the uppers are different. Does anyone know what the difference is or has anyone researched it to see what bearing to use. I plan on using the KX triple clamp do I use the KDX stem or the KX stem?. I also found out that the KdX and KX wheels are the same but the hubs are different and so are the spokes.Thus the KX hub is going to be relaced to my KDX wheel. I have a friend (Devol) engineering doing the forks with new springs and revalving to soften them up just a touch for the woods. I hope this all works. Oh ya I will have a set of stock forks for sale soon
Happy Trails Dave :prayer:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The steering tube is smaller on top on the KDX frame. So, the KDX bearings and stem must be used. No way around it unless you cut it off and weld on the KX steering tube.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
kdx220dave

Post by kdx220dave »

So That must be what your talking about knerling The stering stem into the kx triple clamp? Is that correct????
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yes... on some conversions it will be able to be pressed in without knurling, but on most... the lower tree must be knurled to accept the stem with a reasonable amount of a interference fit as stock.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "