Contact lenses

Feedback on products.....
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Contact lenses

Post by Colorado Mike »

Okay, not a specific brand, just the concept in general. A while ago I asked this forum how to deal with glasses and goggles because my son was having a lot of trouble with fogging, pressure points and stuff associated with glasses.

Nearly everybody recommended getting contacts for him. He's real resistant to change, and picky about how things feel, so we had problems getting him to try them out at first. Now he loves them and hates wearing his glasses, especially while riding. He says his vision is much better with the contacts, that he "sees a lot more stuff". So far we haven't had any problems with dust, but he plans to start racing, so we'll see how that goes.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks to all those that pushed me into the contacts for him. Also, anybody that wears glasses and has trouble might want to check into them. I think they were free to try the disposable ones for a week or so at the eye doctor.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That's great to hear Mike! :grin:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

i hate contacts, i tired them for the first, day, ha ya right, besides i got baggs under my eyes all the time and it looks like a smoke pot, (which i dont). I wne to the eye doctor to get contacts and it took me 45 minutes to get them in and out of my eyes. :shock:
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Ryan,
Don't give up on contacts just yet. I recommend you see an eye doctor who deals specificly with contacts. I did and my doc and I tried at least 7 or 8 different brands of contacts before I found a set my eyes could tolerate. Still, I only wear them about half the time; when I'm at work. Otherwise, I just use my regular glasses. But for riding dirtbikes, hunting, fishing, or any outdoor activities, they are unbeatable.

After about 2 years of wearing them at work and for sports, I put them in in mere seconds. It's a skill you learn; like dirtbike riding!! Ha!!

Good Luck!!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
the trail rider

Post by the trail rider »

same here i needed contacts for things far away and it took me probably an hour to get them in the first time and probably a week later it took me a couple minutes an eye, now it just takes me one or two tries to get them in. trust me they work good and when you wear them riding it makes you see a whole lot more.
get a lift, fat chicks can't jump!

when in doubt gas it!
Blazing Basqueo

Post by Blazing Basqueo »

I'm an old guy (44 yrs old) and I wore contacts for almost twenty years, and I can tell you unequivocally that you WILL see much better with contacts than with glassess. It may take a little while for his eyes to adjust to having something foreign in them, but within a few days or maybe a week or so, he will have adapted and conquered.
Just be sure you have a good set of goggles for him and he should be fine. The freedom of contacts will overcome any discomfort he may experience.

I don't know how old your son is but I recently had lasix surgery and it's fantastic!! (they say you should be 21 or more for the surgery). No more fuss, just good ol' 20/20 vision as God intended.
I highly recommend it for those old enough....heck, pawn your car if you have to...it's worth it.

BB
GS

Post by GS »

Blaze,
I've been considering the laser eye "mod" for a while now. I've worn rigid contacts for.....well.... for ever. Now I'm using reading glasses much of the time and I really hate them.
I'm told by some folks that I'll still require these bloody reading glasses after the laser surgery, while some are saying that is not the case. ??? I'm 49 and wondered if you had any experience with this. My prescription is several years old and I'm starting to see the rocks only AFTER I hit them. So, time for an upgrade...either contacts or laser. Sounds like you have no regrets. By the way, which procedure did you have...if you don't mind me asking?
Thanks,
Greg
Blazing Basqueo

Post by Blazing Basqueo »

Greg,
I had myopia (nearsighted) and had the refractive lasik surgery. Even if you have the surgery, you will likely need to wear reading glasses or so I'm told (an unfortunate and unavoidable consequence of growing old). But it's still worth it. The good thing is that you shouldn't need to wear anything while riding...you should be able to see at distance quite well. No quick-drying contacts due to poorly fitting goggles. No irritating or painful episodes from pesky particles under your contacts. None of the neverending set of discomforts and problems assosiated with wearing glasses.
And being able to see everything well first thing in the morning...priceless!!

I would strongly suggest that you contact a doc who does the surgery. Most give free evaluations. They will tell you if you are a candidate for surgery and if so, which surgery you need. I will advise further that you do some research. I found a huge disparity in pricing. Make sure you find out if they are using state-of-the-art machinery and if they have a good rep (you can search on the web and find info about different lasers and such). You definitely want to make sure they are well qualified and all that, but here in the Boise area, I found a place that had an excellent rep, state-of-the-art equipment and priced almost $2000 cheaper ($2800 compared to $4500) than the "well established" alternative.
Don't let the price tag effect your decision. It is the best investment I have made in the last 20 years. Now that I have it back, I would gladly pay this price every other year for the reward of 20/20 vision.

In short, get off your butt and get to the eye doctor pronto!!
GS

Post by GS »

OK! OK! Thanks for the great 1st hand feedback.
But...that "get off your butt" part....I'd like to know who told you that I'm known as the king of the procrastinators? :neutral:
Thanks
Greg
kdennan

Post by kdennan »

I have to chime in on this too. Contacts have been my choice for riding but they do suck when things are not perfect. Like blaze says, if you have a poor seal on the goggles or something gets in your eye then the contacts can be a pain. I still wear them on most occasions, but I also invested a small amount (around $100) for OSHA approved, birth control glasses. They are big, hulking frames that tout 3mm thick shatter proof lenses and I wear them alone as goggles. Tom Webb, the kook who writes for Dirtbike Magazine wears them. He wrote an article not too long ago about his deal with glasses and it made enough sense for me to try them. They are definitely something you only want to wear while riding 'cause they will greatly affect your love life. They are ugly as sin.
Some day I want to go lasik but until then I switch it up with the glasses and the lenses.
Actarus

Post by Actarus »

I had glasses and it would've been a real pain if I still had them. Tried on contacts as well but those bastards did'nt stay put. Even lost one during a work shift. So finally I had Lasik eye surgery about a year ago. Unfortunately the first treatement is not complete yet. And that's why I'm doing it again at the end of jully. The ending point is that I don't need to wear glasses anymore only sunglasses not mentionning that there's nio more hassle about goggles now !
1981 KDX 175