Compatible Parts KX/KDX

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXMainer

Compatible Parts KX/KDX

Post by KDXMainer »

So I have a great running 2006 KDX200. There's a couple 1998 KX125's FS on CL right now. Just wondering what's compatible for a direct swap between the two? I of course would love to swap the front ends and know the sleeve has to be pressed out of the kdx frame. Just wondering if the plastic would all swap over? The seat? Rear wheel? Air box? Trying to convince myself one of these might be a great parts bike for my KDX. I've been looking for over 2 years and haven't been able to find a non running KDX that would be a good parts bike. Thinking I could sell the 125 motor on eBay to off set the cost and get all the rest for a few hundred out of pocket. One is a running bike loaded with extras that needs carb work for $1000 the other is nice as well but needs a rebuild for $650 and comes with rebuild kit. Thanks Mike
2006 KDX200
1998 KDX220
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Compatible Parts KX/KDX

Post by bufftester »

None of the plastic parts swap over. You could use the front wheel but would need the KDX spacers. The rear wheel is a 19" and could also be used, again with the KDX spacers. You could probably reuse the font and rear brakes with a little work. Front end requires a stem swap but is doable. Not really a good choice for a parts bike, but you could probably part them out and make money off them.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Compatible Parts KX/KDX

Post by KDXGarage »

KDXMainer wrote:So I have a great running 2006 KDX200. There's a couple 1998 KX125's FS on CL right now. Just wondering what's compatible for a direct swap between the two? I of course would love to swap the front ends and know the sleeve has to be pressed out of the kdx frame. Just wondering if the plastic would all swap over? The seat? Rear wheel? Air box? Trying to convince myself one of these might be a great parts bike for my KDX. I've been looking for over 2 years and haven't been able to find a non running KDX that would be a good parts bike. Thinking I could sell the 125 motor on eBay to off set the cost and get all the rest for a few hundred out of pocket. One is a running bike loaded with extras that needs carb work for $1000 the other is nice as well but needs a rebuild for $650 and comes with rebuild kit. Thanks Mike
Extremely little would directly swap over.

What do you mean by pressing out a sleeve from the KDX frame??

Here are some that don't fit on your list:

plastic - no
seat - no
rear wheel - maybe, but then you have a 19" MX wheel instead of 18" off-road wheel
air box - no

Unless you are tryng to put a KDX200 / KDX220R engine into a 21 year old frame for a hybrid build, then enjoy them for what they are, part them out or pass on buying them.

Don't be lulled into thinking that each does not need a lot more work than was mentioned. If they were in pristine shape, they would come with a pristine price.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128