CC... question on steering head bearings...

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

CC... question on steering head bearings...

Post by Indawoods »

I am getting ready to order the steering head stem bearings and races. You said in a post (I can't find) that these come as a unit, I am just asking to confirm this since I do need BOTH.

I am ordering OEM since the quality is very high from what I can tell.... and it looks like Ron Ayer's is cheaper than Bike Bandit on these parts too.

Thanks...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

I know this question was not for me, but here is the post:

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 17&start=0

Although I personally cannot confirm this, and you probabaly already know this, buykawasaki shows the bearing and races as a set.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Thanks Phil.... I know it shows it and I am glad that you get both since they are pricey.... well... not that bad but I just don't want to be held up again on getting this frontend together on the spare.

Fredette is buying my old KDX frontend... Yahoooooo! More money for parts!~ :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

Good luck, best to ya! :supz:
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

They come with the race and bearing.

How do I know ??!! Weeeeelllll when I went to pick my new bearings up I looked at em and said "deese aint da right ones, dey don't look nuffin like the ones I took off".

There was a pause.......

And the sales guy says "yeah those are the right ones, thats the races you can see".

DERRRRR... I couldn't see the bearing rollers and thought is was the wrong kind... :blink:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
layoutd

Post by layoutd »

even the aftermarket ones come with races(all balls, pivot works, etc.) however, i learned the hard way that the all balls ones are not sealed like the oem ones. anyone need a set of all balls bearings? i got tired of waiting and went to a $tealer and bought the OEM ones from them. Just make sure your grease them.
Eatin' ain't Cheatin'
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

OEM is the best bet for getting the sealed bearing you must have for the bottom bearing. As already noted, some (other than layo) have ordered what they THOUGHT was the right bearing...but it showed up without a seal.

As Mr. Phil said, yes, it comes as a set. Hazarding a guess here, but I don't think it's possible to buy just 'some' of the parts.

I asked two different bearing wholesalers in this area for a Koyo sealed bearing. I was told by both of them, 'Can't get it. Must be an OEM part'.

I think CBR has 'em.....but with shipping and all, getting one locally from the Kaw dealer worked better for me.

BJH had 'connections' with a bearing person...he found one:
BJH wrote:OK CC,
Now I'm holding Koyo bearing 32005JR in my hand. And yes it is with the seal. es verdad
I wouldn't waste ANY time with ANYthing other than a Koyo. I've used chinese products (Moose, AllBalls etc.), and they are junk!! Unfortunately I just put a set of chink bearings in Cindy's Banshee..it was all that was available for a ride the next day. It only took an hour with a piece of pipe and a 12# maul to get the steenking axle out...sure wish I'd had access to Koyo bearings for that! Oh well...as well as they last, I KNOW I'm going to be doing it again real soon!! Things won't be as stuck next time!! ...he said hopefully.

I mention that 'cuz the lower stem bearing is the same sort of thing. It's tough to get off the stem. You cannot get a puller around/under it. Rule of thumb is to press the stem out to remove the bearing. How often do you want to be messing with that!!?? I cut mine off with a pnuematic cutoff. Yeah..I touched the stem a bit. It's harder to see the metal change from inner race to stem than you might think.

You bet! Grease'em! CLEAN THEM first..THEN grease them. Use the old outer race to seat the new race in the steering tube.

Oh...I've tried looking for that bearing on the web. I get real good info like:

Интернет АвтоМаркет Сибири:: auto.sibs.ru ...
... 32005, 25KW01, 32005JR. обсудить (0 ответов), Цена: 180
Руб Наличие на складе: есть, Оцените товар. ...

Oh yeah....I'll get right on that............ :roll:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Russian translation;

The Internet the Car market of Siberia:: auto.sibs.ru...
... 32005, 25KW01, 32005JR. to discuss (0 answers), the Price: 180
Руб Presence in a warehouse: is, Estimate the goods....

I'll take 2 thanks... :blink: :roll:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Uh...thanks!

So...they be saying they use that bearing in the POS crapper cars they drive around the square over there?

What? For tires?

That there innernet translator I think leaves some desirement..........

Thanks!

...there's 2.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I understanding ever things u saying. :blink:

That there innernet translator dun teached me good, eh. :rolleyes: :mrgreen: