Bike won’t idle when warm and bogs

A reference for the PWK carbs...
NateFin

Post by NateFin »

Hey guys so I’ve got a Kdx200 2001 with an fmf gnarly desert pipe. The bike will idle with the choke on when cold, then once it warms up a little it doesn’t want to idle at all, and when I try to rev it it will bog a little initially and then finally rev. When ridden it struggles and the power feels a little hollow. I’m at about 100 ft of elevation. Any suggestions on what the problem could be? Also a link to a good back tire would help too I’ve heard mixed things about different brand tires. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Bike won’t idle when warm and bogs

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to kdxrider.net. It sounds like a gummed up passage in the carb. Have you tried cleaning it? DO NOT dip it in Berryman's or similar carb dip formulas.

Sand back tire? Rocks back tire? hard dirt? Soft dirt? Pavement? thick mud?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Was it running fine before and just started doing this or did you just buy it and it's been this way?

Tires are very subjective and a great one for one person sucks for another. To even have a chance to recommend something that might work for you we need to know what conditions you ride. Also, are you wanting maximum traction or maximum longevity or somewhere in between? Budget tire or cost no object or ??? Give us more details and we'll try to help!
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
NateFin

Post by NateFin »

SS109 wrote:Was it running fine before and just started doing this or did you just buy it and it's been this way?

Tires are very subjective and a great one for one person sucks for another. To even have a chance to recommend something that might work for you we need to know what conditions you ride. Also, are you wanting maximum traction or maximum longevity or somewhere in between? Budget tire or cost no object or ??? Give us more details and we'll try to help!
Hey thanks for the response man. So I’m riding dirt/grass trails some creeks and mud here and there. So I’m looking for a mix of both. I tried cleaning both Jets, sprayed carb cleaner threw both. Runs and revs when started up with choke. After warm, will not idle, barely start, and bad power like before if I can get it to run. Was my method of cleaning sufficient?

NateFin

Post by NateFin »

NateFin wrote:
SS109 wrote:Was it running fine before and just started doing this or did you just buy it and it's been this way?

Hey thanks for the response man. So I’m riding dirt/grass trails some creeks and mud here and there. So I’m looking for a mix of both. I tried cleaning both Jets, sprayed carb cleaner threw both. Runs and revs when started up with choke. After warm, will not idle, barely start, and bad power like before if I can get it to run. Was my method of cleaning sufficient?

And I also did just buy the bike so not that experienced with it. It’s a pretty modded bike according to last owner.

SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I suggest cleaning the carb again first. While you're in there, write down what main and pilot jets are in there and what needle you are running.

On the rear tire I would say to give the Sedona MX907 a look. Seems to work pretty good in most conditions, lasts a long time if you don't spin the rear constantly, and is pretty cheap.
'11 GasGas EC250R
NateFin

Post by NateFin »

SS109 wrote:I suggest cleaning the carb again first. While you're in there, write down what main and pilot jets are in there and what needle you are running.

On the rear tire I would say to give the Sedona MX907 a look. Seems to work pretty good in most conditions, lasts a long time if you don't spin the rear constantly, and is pretty cheap.

Will do. I get home Sunday I’ll pull the carb then. I ran into an issue before with the carb which is the bowl is stuck to the body with an old gasket. When I say stuck I mean I can’t pull it off carefully. What wouod you recommend?

SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I ran into an issue before with the carb which is the bowl is stuck to the body with an old gasket. When I say stuck I mean I can’t pull it off carefully. What wouod you recommend?
In that situation I barely crack the bowl screws loose then tap all the edges of the bowl inward with a small rubber mallet. About anything you can tap with that won't damage the carb is ok to use.
'11 GasGas EC250R
NateFin

Post by NateFin »

SS109 wrote:
I ran into an issue before with the carb which is the bowl is stuck to the body with an old gasket. When I say stuck I mean I can’t pull it off carefully. What wouod you recommend?
In that situation I barely crack the bowl screws loose then tap all the edges of the bowl inward with a small rubber mallet. About anything you can tap with that won't damage the carb is ok to use.
Ok will do it today and thoroughly clean the carb. Thanks.