Lectron carb NEED HELP!

Got questions? We got answers....
Tschida Enduro

Lectron carb NEED HELP!

Post by Tschida Enduro »

so I ordered a Lectron carb knowing there is fitment issues with the KDX but I called and emailed them and they verified the top/slide would be shaved down to fit the KDX. Well I got the carb but it is not fitting....it hits in the top on the back. Can anyone with a lectron PLEASE help? Images below. I will probably email and call lectron tomorrow...
ImageImageImage
Last edited by Tschida Enduro on 11:04 am Mar 29 2018, edited 3 times in total.
2001 kdx220r
Tschida Enduro

Re: Lectron carb NEED HELP!

Post by Tschida Enduro »

Well I got an email back from Brooks at Lectron that said to put the top on the carb and the air boot should have enough give to make it fit. He also said the carb can be rotated 5-10 degrees to help with clearance. I did try that and it seems like more then 5-10 degrees but I'll give it another shot this afternoon
2001 kdx220r
Tschida Enduro

Lectron carb NEED HELP!

Post by Tschida Enduro »

stock vs lectron kdx carb
2001 kdx220r
Tschida Enduro

Lectron carb NEED HELP!

Post by Tschida Enduro »

welp tried what lectron suggested and learned two things. Its not the air box that is the problem, that gives plenty. It's the other side that I just can't get to line up. Second thing is if you try and rotate it hits the spring in the back... here are some pictures for reference
Image Image
2001 kdx220r
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

The only one that I can think of to help with measurements would be thirdgenlxi. He's had one for a while on his bike. I wouldn't think a throttle cable sticking straight up like that is going to work with the gas tank. You get a box on the door step and you think you're off and running. I'm sorry to see the fitment hassle.
Tschida Enduro

Post by Tschida Enduro »

John_S wrote:The only one that I can think of to help with measurements would be thirdgenlxi. He's had one for a while on his bike. I wouldn't think a throttle cable sticking straight up like that is going to work with the gas tank. You get a box on the door step and you think you're off and running. I'm sorry to see the fitment hassle.
yeah, I thought about the cable being an issue but I think it will be okay. I've got it closer (pic below). This is about as close as I can get it without having another set of hands to push on the airbox boot. I'm thinking I will just cut and weld the frame to make clearance. Otherwise that top back screw is going to be pushed against the frame.

2001 kdx220r
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Lectron carb NEED HELP!

Post by ohgood »

Tschida Enduro wrote:so I ordered a Lectron carb knowing there is fitment issues with the KDX but I called and emailed them and they verified the top/slide would be shaved down to fit the KDX. Well I got the carb but it is not fitting....it hits in the top on the back. Can anyone with a lectron PLEASE help? Images below. I will probably email and call lectron tomorrow...
ImageImageImage
It's not going to work, send it back.
Timtee

Post by Timtee »

From looking at the pictures, it doesnt look like an acceptable fit - especially for the money spent.

There are a few people that have Lectrons in their KDXs. Either their carbs were modified differently or they accepted a much poorer fit.
Fxr84

Lectron carb NEED HELP!

Post by Fxr84 »

I was ready to order one , have been researching, spoke with them as well, made measurements sent them in but this is making me rethink the purchase. Have you had any luck, have a 220 as well, pics look like there is no room what so ever
Tschida Enduro

Lectron carb NEED HELP!

Post by Tschida Enduro »

Fxr84 wrote:I was ready to order one , have been researching, spoke with them as well, made measurements sent them in but this is making me rethink the purchase. Have you had any luck, have a 220 as well, pics look like there is no room what so ever
Fxr84, I actually just got it to fit! I filed down the top where that back bolt is so that it was almost flush with the top then I counter sunk the hole and used a flat head 6-32 bolt 1/2" I believe (I'll double check this tomorrow) and with an extra set of hands to give the airbox some cpr :wink: I got it to fit!!!! :boogie:
Here are some pics
ImageImage
ImageImage
2001 kdx220r
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Nice work! Will the tank clear that cable?
Fxr84

Post by Fxr84 »

Tschida Enduro thanks, would you suggest making the purchase. I have been excited about the purchasing the carb I’m just a bit Leary of the issues.
Tschida Enduro

Post by Tschida Enduro »

Julien D wrote:Nice work! Will the tank clear that cable?
Thanks! yup, no issues with the cable
ImageImage
Fxr84 wrote:Tschida Enduro thanks, would you suggest making the purchase. I have been excited about the purchasing the carb I’m just a bit Leary of the issues.
Well what I had to do to make it fit really wasn't too bad. Others didn't have much issues it seemed just a tight fit. I will report back once I get everything back together and test (doing cycra handguards, cycra front fender, polisport mxx headlight as well).
2001 kdx220r
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

Tschida Enduro wrote:
Julien D wrote:Nice work! Will the tank clear that cable?
Thanks! yup, no issues with the cable
ImageImage
Fxr84 wrote:Tschida Enduro thanks, would you suggest making the purchase. I have been excited about the purchasing the carb I’m just a bit Leary of the issues.
Well what I had to do to make it fit really wasn't too bad. Others didn't have much issues it seemed just a tight fit. I will report back once I get everything back together and test (doing cycra handguards, cycra front fender, polisport mxx headlight as well).

well you proved me wrong!

hopefully it will be a huge improvement. get back with your impressions and fuel economy changes, OK?

I've seen three bikes get equipped with that carb, only to pull it off again after long attempts at making it work right. other people just drop it place and it works great forever.
Tschida Enduro

Post by Tschida Enduro »

ohgood wrote: well you proved me wrong!

hopefully it will be a huge improvement. get back with your impressions and fuel economy changes, OK?

I've seen three bikes get equipped with that carb, only to pull it off again after long attempts at making it work right. other people just drop it place and it works great forever.
Yup hopefully. I will definitely report back. Up here in MN we just got 8-10" of snow...probably going to push riding out a few weeks, testing probably a week or so
2001 kdx220r
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Lectron carb NEED HELP!

Post by thirdgenlxi »

Awesome..... glad you got it to fit! It's definitely a tight squeeze, but well worth it, I promise. Sorry I didn't see this sooner and chime in..... the Lectron guys actually messaged me on instagram and asked me to send some pictures of mine and how it fit, haha..... so if they sent you any pics of an installed carb, that was my bike :lol: That's what they had to do with mine as well to get it to fit..... cut down that right corner of the top piece and use a shallow head screw. It's tight, and still cocked a hair to the left, but once in place it fits without hitting anything. And you can rotate it to the left to get the top off for adjustments without taking it out.... just check the little clamp for the powerjet hose on the right side after you get it turned back upright, sometimes it'll catch the spring and bend down a little when you rotate the carb. I'd go ahead and set your powerjet to about 1 - 1-1/4 turns out from closed..... mine was set waaayyyyyy too rich from the factory. The metering rod was pretty close, I just had to do a little tweaking. Though they may have set yours up a little different from mine, as I think they set mine richer as I told them I ride it on the street as a supermoto too. They just went a little tooooooo rich on the powerjet. No biggie though, it's super easy to adjust

You're gonna love it! The choke on the right side is a little awkward but it's doable.... just gotta get your hand situated right. I had a huge jump in fuel mileage with mine (12 MPG average increase on the street)
Fxr84

Post by Fxr84 »

Thanks for input
kx200
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Lectron carb NEED HELP!

Post by kx200 »

What metering rod did they send you?
freeindeed

Post by freeindeed »

[/quote]Yup hopefully. I will definitely report back. Up here in MN we just got 8-10" of snow...probably going to push riding out a few weeks, testing probably a week or so[/quote]

Interesting. I live in Minnesota, I just bought a 2001 KDX220 this winter and recently joined KDXRIDER.net. What area of Minnesota do you live in?
I don't think I am quite ready for a lectron carb though.
Tschida Enduro

Lectron carb NEED HELP!

Post by Tschida Enduro »

thirdgenlxi wrote:Awesome..... glad you got it to fit! It's definitely a tight squeeze, but well worth it, I promise. Sorry I didn't see this sooner and chime in..... the Lectron guys actually messaged me on instagram and asked me to send some pictures of mine and how it fit, haha..... so if they sent you any pics of an installed carb, that was my bike :lol: That's what they had to do with mine as well to get it to fit..... cut down that right corner of the top piece and use a shallow head screw. It's tight, and still cocked a hair to the left, but once in place it fits without hitting anything. And you can rotate it to the left to get the top off for adjustments without taking it out.... just check the little clamp for the powerjet hose on the right side after you get it turned back upright, sometimes it'll catch the spring and bend down a little when you rotate the carb. I'd go ahead and set your powerjet to about 1 - 1-1/4 turns out from closed..... mine was set waaayyyyyy too rich from the factory. The metering rod was pretty close, I just had to do a little tweaking. Though they may have set yours up a little different from mine, as I think they set mine richer as I told them I ride it on the street as a supermoto too. They just went a little tooooooo rich on the powerjet. No biggie though, it's super easy to adjust

You're gonna love it! The choke on the right side is a little awkward but it's doable.... just gotta get your hand situated right. I had a huge jump in fuel mileage with mine (12 MPG average increase on the street)
Thanks for the info! I actually rotated the pilot hose clip towards the air box to get it out of the way of the spring.
kx200 wrote:What metering rod did they send you?
I will need to check and get back to you.
freeindeed wrote: Interesting. I live in Minnesota, I just bought a 2001 KDX220 this winter and recently joined KDXRIDER.net. What area of Minnesota do you live in?
I don't think I am quite ready for a lectron carb though.
Ha! thats awesome, we should hit the trails! I'm down in the south metro. Burnsville right now but moving to Eagan/Apple Valley soon.
2001 kdx220r