New to me 96 KDX200 Project

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXRipStick

Post by KDXRipStick »

Whats up guys I just picked up a 1996 KDX200 a few weeks ago that needs a good bit of work but should be a fun project. This is my first dirt bike!

Its been sitting out side the past 10 years so the plastics and seat are in rough shape. But the bike has a fresh top end and starts up first kick.

I paid 500$ for it which I don't think was a "steal" but I think it was a fair deal.

So far all i've done is minor general maintenance. I changed the crank case oil, put a new air filter on, and got the front caliper un-seized

Some parts that I need Immediately that I could use some advice on are as follows:

1. Bike is in desperate need of a chain and sprocket kit. I was going to stick with the factory 13/47 combo and get the Heavy Duty Kit from Primary Drive.
I hear they are fairly reputable. Should I replace the chain guide/guard as well?

2. The bike runs good off road but when I get on the pavement it seems like the clutch is slipping. I've tried adjusting the clutch cable with no luck.
Im going to go with the TUSK clutch kit, do I need to do anything to the flywheel or just inspect it and the basket?

3. I need a new rear axle and chain adjusters for the bike but can't find one anywhere but the dealer for like 80$ is their any other bikes axles that are interchangeable or somewhere online to get one cheaper?

4. The bike came with some type of FMF Fatty Pipe on it that has a huge dent in it and small crack.

Should I go through Pacific or Fusion to have it repaired?

5. The silencer on the bike is some aftermarket one i've never heard of and it leaks at one of the connections.
Recommendations on a good silencer?

6. Any recommendations on where to get a front tire and tube reasonably priced?

7. I need recommendations on what else I need to check over and do on this bike?

Do I need to mess with the stock suspension at all? I'm 170lb rider
Or should I just start saving for KX front fork conversion?

This bike will be used to do a little bit of everything.

Thanks for the help all!
Chilly

Re: New to me 96 KDX200 Project

Post by Chilly »

If the chain guard looks good I wouldn’t worry about that. I ordered my stuff from Rocky Mountain ATV, They have a OEM parts list with schematics, They also have some after market things to.
You don’t have to have that exact sprocket ratio. I went with Renthal 13/48 combo and I can’t tell a difference. Only reason I didn’t go OEM Is because of the price difference. I left my suspension stock. I weigh 175.
Do your self a favor and change your wheel bearings while your tires are off. And if you decide to tear the right side of the motor off when doing the clutch go a head and replace the kick start gear and spring, You will eventually have problems with it one day. It won’t look bad when it does decide to start giving you problems but replacing it will fix the slipping. I found this all out the hard way. eBay for cheap parts. As far as the pipe and silencer I’d price getting it fixed VS just getting new or slightly used. Might be about the same after shipping and labor. Hope this helps a little. Good luck. PURCHASE THE ONLINE MANUAL AT THE TOO OF THIS SITE. It dummies everything down for you.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Chain guard / guide... Which one? If present and in good condition, then don't replace. Hard to guess at wear level without pictures

Change the oil again before new plates. Old clutch may have been damaged from setting.

EBay for the axle and stuff

How bad is the pipe? Might not be a ton more to buy new

Silencer... may just need to be cleaned and check for fit. I would not look for a new one immediately

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC for tire and tubes

Check swingarm and linkage bearings, steering bearings, wheel bearings

Check before replacing

Check reeds, float valve rubber tip fire proper sealing, petcock

Hold off on suspension fior now. One thing at a time
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

+1 what Jason and Chilly have said. Get the bike mechanically sound and functional first. Once that is done then spring it for your weight. After that, whatever you can think of.

I'd flush the oil and run a quart through and then change again before opening up the clutch. As Jason said, might just be boogered up from sitting.

The pipe any exhaust place should be able to repair if you don't want to do it yourself. Then again, if it's badly cracked/dented may just be as cheap to replace, hard to say without seeing it.

Check all bearings obviously, especially swingarm/linkage/wheel.

Rear axle any H model 200, any 220, any KLX300. There are a couple other bikes, just look up the part on fiche to see. Same with the axle adjusters
KDXRipStick

Post by KDXRipStick »

Thanks a lot for the the replies guys.

What fluid should I be using in the case? I put 10w40 synthetic motor oil but then read about the friction modifiers. So I'm going to flush and put in 10w40 synthetic 4T motorcycle fluid specifically for wet clutches.

The pipe appears to be bent or needs taken off and adjusted.

I think every single exhaust bracket is broken and the pipe is sitting almost on the gas tank.

Also noticed one side of the pipe where it goes into the cylinder is leaking cause it's letting oil out.

I attached some pictures. One is of my silencer gap, when I get the pipe fixed or adjust correctly Should that correct the gap/seal issue?

Lastly can someone tell me what type pipe that I have? Woods or desert?

Does it look worth spending the 60$ plus shipping to get it fixed? I can clean and repack the silencer myself.

Thanks for the help

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage20180315/799786303ca5e0d8b1b14c2da90b61a8.jpg[/IMG]ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

You REALLY need to take the pipe off and check for a copper rush gasket and two o-rings.

The pipe mounting bracket is broken. If you don't fix those, then it will never mount correctly. It is blowing a TREMENDOUS AMOUNT of oil out of the cylinder. It is not supposed to be leaking a drop. It has been horrible for a long time.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Needs a serious cleaning, and proper jetting. Fix all those brackets, replace the crush gasket/o-rings and go from there.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Jetting could be perfect. No way to tell like that.
KDXRipStick

Post by KDXRipStick »

Alright guys with shipping it's about 80$ to have the pipe repaired, recast, and de carbonized.

While I could get a new one for a little over 200$. Being that this is my first bike and that I'm on a budget I'm leaning towards sending the pipe off.

This would give me time to clean and repack the silencer as well as do some much other needed maintenance.

How do I figure out what pipe I have? When I proceed on to proper jetting I'm sure that will come it to play.

Thanks a ton for the help so far guys.

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

$20 shipping both ways??

The debt is not the problem. It's the crack. No one around there that can braze it?

No need to worry about proper jetting until everything is proven to be in proper mechanical condition.
KDXRipStick

Post by KDXRipStick »

The crack in the Pipe is only about a 1/4"-1/2" and I'm sure I can find someone local that can buzz it real quick.

While I have the pipe off do I need to do anything to clean it or decarbonize it? Considering it appears this bike has been blowing oil for a while.

I'm ordering all 3 Exhaust Dampers/Mounts for the pipe, they are like 20$ a damn pop. Anyone know where to get them cheaper?

I'm going to get new crush ring and O rings as well as the gasket that connects the Pipe to Silencer.

In addition I'm going to take my silencer apart to clean it and repack it.

Any other gaskets or exhaust stuff i'm missing?

Pulled the Plug and it was black as could be.

Should I make any adjustments to the carb? Or just fix the exhaust, throw a fresh plug in it, and then see how it runs?

Thanks for the help
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Get the pipe outside and then get a drill with a long frayed wire. Spin it around, WEAR a dust mask and safety glasses. It will make a HUGE mess.

You can scrape some off near the pipe start area. You can use EZ-Off oven cleaner to help some. It's a nasty job.

Look on www.partzilla.com for cheap OEM parts.

Broken parts come on $500 project bikes. One of many reasons why people want close to $2,000 for one in very good condition.

Once the pipe and spark arrestor or silencer are clean, then you can check other stuff.

A vacuum test and a pressure test would be nice. Reed condition, air filter condition, cylinder power valves clean and operating properly? Piston / cylinder / rings in proper shape? Many things to check besides new plug, clean carburetor, etc.
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

[quote="KDXRipStick}

I'm ordering all 3 Exhaust Dampers/Mounts for the pipe, they are like 20$ a damn pop. Anyone know where to get them cheaper?
[/quote]

There is a thread here on this site regarding these mounting dampers being available from McMaster-Carr for just a few bucks each.

I would suggest you go to McMaster-Carr's website and look around. Or you could just give them a call. I have found their telephone staff very helpful.
KDXRipStick

Post by KDXRipStick »

pumpguy wrote:[quote="KDXRipStick}

There is a thread here on this site regarding these mounting dampers being available from McMaster-Carr for just a few bucks each.

I would suggest you go to McMaster-Carr's website and look around. Or you could just give them a call. I have found their telephone staff very helpful.[/quote]

Any idea where the thread is? I searched and couldn't find it. I can call up there if not.

KDXRipStick

Post by KDXRipStick »

Jason wrote:Get the pipe outside and then get a drill with a long frayed wire. Spin it around, WEAR a dust mask and safety glasses. It will make a HUGE mess.

You can scrape some off near the pipe start area. You can use EZ-Off oven cleaner to help some. It's a nasty job.

Look on http://www.partzilla.com for cheap OEM parts.

Broken parts come on $500 project bikes. One of many reasons why people want close to $2,000 for one in very good condition.

Once the pipe and spark arrestor or silencer are clean, then you can check other stuff.

A vacuum test and a pressure test would be nice. Reed condition, air filter condition, cylinder power valves clean and operating properly? Piston / cylinder / rings in proper shape? Many things to check besides new plug, clean carburetor, etc.
Jason you are 100% correct, a 500$ project bike will require a lot of parts and time.

Soooooo a decent deal popped up on another 1996KDX 200 a few hours from me. Guy wanted 1400$ for it but I was able to go pick it up for 1,000$

I loveeeeeeee this bike!

I'm going to do some parts swapping between this one and the other 96. Once I fix the exhaust and clean the up the first one I got I was going resell it.

I was going to replace the chain and sprockets, fix the exhaust, and jet it properly.

I was thinking of trying to get 800$ for it after that.

Here's a pic of the new one ImageImage

John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

Nice find on the new bike! I would sell the other one for what you paid for it, or try to get $600 and focus your energy on the new one. Jetting the old one could turn into a can of worms.
david

Post by david »

Much better starting point. Nice score.
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

HECK YEAH! Nice!

Congratulations on a MUCH better start. :partyman: :supz:
KDXRipStick

Post by KDXRipStick »

Thanks for the approval guys!

This ones running very rich on me and keeps flooding out and drenching the plug in fuel.

When I swapped a new plug in it ran great for 30 mins but ended up flooding out again.

Bike came with a new jet kit with 10 different jets and 3 new plugs.

Previous owner claims it's jetted for 40:1 and was re jetted after the pipe. I doubt that as it seems to be getting a ton of fuel.

What clip position should the needle be on?

Recommend sticking with 40:1?

It has tons of power when riding it and it rips but even just letting it idle after riding the bike will load up and flood/foul the plug.

Thanks

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

OMG! I won't even read your reply yet.

TAKE THE KICKSTAND OFF THE BAD ONE, AND PUT IT ON THE GOOD ONE, NOW!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Check the float level.

If finances allow, you can use the older bike's parts to to swap out and make sure various concerns are not parts related. (for example, swap carbs - problem not solved, may not have been a carb problem)