KLX300 swap fork spring ?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
slidinleft
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

KLX300 swap fork spring ?

Post by slidinleft »

Anybody with the KLX300 frond end on there H series play around with valving and springs other then the ones from race tech ?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: KLX300 swap fork spring ?

Post by KDXGarage »

What is your weight in full riding gear?

What rate springs do you have in there now?

Do you happen to know the stock valving in the KLX300 forks?

Thanks.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
slidinleft
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by slidinleft »

Just delete the post please. I don't use this site much . When I do post . I'm not specific enough and when i am I still get generic answers Thanks .
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

What kind of answer were you wanting?
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

I have a KLX300 that my son rides, have only used race tech springs in it though I know guys who have used different KX springs (just not sure what years). The valving is pretty close to the stock KDX valving in feel. I would think if you got it down to the shim stack you could compare to the KDX and make adjustments from there.

As for your posts, I just read through them, because I don't like when people don't find the info they need, and you got answers but never bothered to come back and respond, whether to clarify or complain or anything. In fact I provided an answer on one of your 4 posted questions. Generally in a forum you ask for help, you get some answers (along with some smart ass remarks because, well, it's the internet), then you come back and respond about what did or didn't work. That's what makes a forum useful. If everyone just took answers and never responded, no one would know if anything worked. Sorry if you take offense, but this site is a wellspring of info, mostly run at the expense of the admins, and not contributing intellectually helps nobody.
slidinleft
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by slidinleft »

Thanks
slidinleft
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by slidinleft »

Well' I understand that we can not move forward without sharing information . My problem may seem to be that I do work on bikes for a living. In fact for the last 24 years , so when I ask questions I think I may expect more than basic answers . I will not respond to other peoples info if I have nothing to add or nothing nice to say . That could change though ... .......... Thanks Sean
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Why is working on bikes a problem?? I am pretty certain that you don't revalve and rebuild suspension or you wouldn't be on here asking about it.

We're not mind readers.

Thanks.
slidinleft
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by slidinleft »

Has anybody tried springs out of the early to mid 90's yz series of bikes ? Did you leave the shim stack as it was ? Did you cut the spring or was the preload ok ?
Jason I'm " pretty certain " you have an answer for every question on here. LOL
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Have not tried YZ springs, but XR springs have been a standby for KDX ones for many years. Springs are springs are springs, which is a short way of saying that all springs do the same thing, regardless of which bike they come out of. The three key factors are going to be the diameter, spring rate and then the free length. Too big around and they don't fit in the fork body, to small and they won't fit over the fork internals. Too long and they won't work (although if they were slightly long you could use the initial compression as your preload) Too short and you will lose some travel (again, if slightly short you can just fashion some preload spacers from sched 40 PVC to make up the length.

Most folks never get in to shim stacks, as it's a bit of black magic to tune them properly. The spring is the primary issue, you need it stiff enough to obtain proper static and race sag, which are central to getting the suspension working right. The shim stack is going to control the fine tuning of your compression damping. There's another thread going on here about shim stacks, HERE, though it's specific to KX250 Showas the physics are the same.

As with most mods, I would always recommend changing one thing at a time, then ride it and see what it does for you.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I am "pretty certain" on the following information. :grin:

Early YZ / KX KYB springs will probably work. I have used them in KDX250 forks. The OD of the spring worked in the KDX250. I assume it would in the KLX.

Disassemble the forks. Measure from the top of the cartridge to the bottom of the cap. Cut the spring down to where it gives about 3 mm or 4 mm of preload. If they are not long enough to create preload, add washers to get the proper preload.

A Race Tech Gold Valve kit, Moto Pro, Racing Suspension Products, Inc., etc. is going to be a world better than ANY changes to the stock inverse bend shim technology.

Good luck with it. :bravo:
slidinleft
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by slidinleft »

Jason , I have a set of 93 KX 125 forks with axle and spacers , sprung for my weight . What year wheel works with this or can I just change bearings and seals in the wheel I have ?
I have a set of klx forks on it and really would like to swap top triple . Do you know what kx250 or 500 clamp will work ?
Thanks Sean
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Oops. I must have missed this.

Look on Partzilla to match up the part numbers on front hubs. I think the 93 KX hub is 93 - 98 or so. I am not sure.

As far as swapping just a top clamp, I don't know if the 1991 clamp or the 92 - 95 clamp is the same offset as KLX.