My Baby Won't Start - Please Help

Got questions? We got answers....
FlyKDXGuy

Post by FlyKDXGuy »

How's it going guys/gals.

I'm Jim, 26, from Delaware but living in Western Louisiana. I just made the leap from 4stroke bikes to 2 stoke with the purchase of a 97 KDX 200 - and I'm absolutely in love.

When I bought the bike, she was as reliable as they come - 3 kicks at the MOST on a cold day and we're up and riding, and it rides like a champ through every RPM range.

So this weekend, I take her to a nearby trail head to ride, and she starts right up as usual. I go on a quick 10 minute warm-up ride and at about 5 minutes I noticed a boot lace untied so I pulled off the trail, hit the kill switch, and fixed myself. When I try to start her, I get nothing. Engine turns but no feedback, pops, or sputtering, not even attempt to turn over. Before that, she was running better than ever.

I checked and I have good spark, fuel is flowing to the cylinder, and I have good compression. I'm thinking it's an electrical issue but could use a second opinion. Any thoughts, pointers, or expert opinions would be highly appreciated!
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

May want to double check that carb and make sure..... I had a similar thing where the bike was running like a champ, I shut it off to walk a section of really gnarly trail to figure a way up, and when I went back it wouldn't start. Turns out it had gotten a piece of dirt down in the bowl and clogged the pilot jet. Ever since I've been running an inline fuel filter

It also could be getting too much fuel..... possible worn float needle not sealing off or float height out of adjustment. If it's getting good spark then I wouldn't think it would be an electrical issue. But you may want to try unplugging your kill switch just to see..... they can go bad too, and at least eliminate that as a possibility

Also would probably check reed valves to make sure they're flat and flush, and not cracked

Does it feel like it still has good compression? You try a new plug already?
FlyKDXGuy

Re: My Baby Won't Start - Please Help

Post by FlyKDXGuy »

I appreciate the quick response!

I was thinking a faulty kill switch but I unplugged it and nothing changed. I'm also running an inline fuel filter and when I swapped my plug yesterday I did a quick compression check and it felt sealed and strong when I cranked it. I did notice my old plug had weak spark and a little carbon buildup to the point where I thought it was a fouled plug but the quick swap didn't do anything.

But I'll try leaning the mixture a bit to see if it's getting too much fuel.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Yeah, I would have checked the kill switch first. Since you tried that, I would follow thirdgenixi's advice. Hopefully you'll find it quickly.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to kdxrider.

Sounds like an odd problem to happen after stopping. Crazy.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
doctord23
Supporting Member

Post by doctord23 »

It is a stretch, but check the woodruff key that holds the flywheel in the correct alignment.
I've had them shear before and throw the spark timing off.
Result = no start
My Team Green:
2002 KX-KDX 220
2000 KDX 220
2003 KLX 300 DS
1988 White KDX 200C3
1984 KX500 (original owner)
1996 Honda Magna V4
2017 Honda Africa Twin DCT
FlyKDXGuy

Post by FlyKDXGuy »

Jason wrote:Welcome to kdxrider.

Sounds like an odd problem to happen after stopping. Crazy.
I appreciate it. But yeah man, it has me stumped at the moment

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
FlyKDXGuy

Post by FlyKDXGuy »

doctord23 wrote:It is a stretch, but check the woodruff key that holds the flywheel in the correct alignment.
I've had them shear before and throw the spark timing off.
Result = no start
I still haven't figured out the issue yet so I'll inspect the the key tomorrow. I appreciate the suggestion, timing completely slipped my mind.

Chilly

Post by Chilly »

I just had this similar issue but I was at the truck when my bike wouldn’t start back. I found that my flywheel was rubbing one side of my coil and burned it up. The bolt hole in my coil end was just a bit big and it had just enough play where it could be moved up or down. It was a Ricky Stator coil. If you haven’t already I would purchase the online manual provided. It’s very very detailed and makes troubleshooting easy.
Chilly

Post by Chilly »

I just had this similar issue but I was at the truck when my bike wouldn’t start back. I found that my flywheel was rubbing one side of my coil and burned it up. The bolt hole in my coil end was just a bit big and it had just enough play where it could be moved up or down. It was a Ricky Stator coil. If you haven’t already I would purchase the online manual provided. It’s very very detailed and makes troubleshooting easy.
JoKDX220r
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JoKDX220r »

If you didn't check it already, make sure your silencer is not "plugged". If something is blocking the exhaust it will never start.
bzdang

Post by bzdang »

I think you were caught in the unwarm-zone. Five minutes into a warm-up ride in cool weather (~60F) the engine may not yet have been hot enough for a regular no-choke start, and might or might not have responded well to using the choke either. What to do? A kick or two with choke on for some cool-start enrichment, but no more than that, and be ready to nurse it if it lights up.
Skoalman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skoalman »

When's the last time you cleaned your air filter?
Last edited by Skoalman on 06:58 pm Jan 08 2018, edited 1 time in total.
FlyKDXGuy

My Baby Won't Start - Please Help *UPDATE*

Post by FlyKDXGuy »

Alright guys! Finally had success!

I ran through and double checked a few things and when I added some mix directly into the cylinder and threw up the choke, she started right up like nothing ever happened. No idling problems or any other issues that I noticed, purred like the lion that she is hahaha

Any ideas on what would cause this?

I super appreciate the input from everyone.
FlyKDXGuy

Post by FlyKDXGuy »

Skoalman wrote:When's the last time you cleaned your air filter?
I noticed it was a bit dirty, so I have new filter cleaner and oil on the way!

canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by canamfan »

I think bzdang had it right, it may have needed the choke to start or there's an old trick, try leaning the bike over, almost sideways for 5 seconds or so, this floods the carb and when you stand it back up that excess fuel flows into the cylinder. You might think this would foul out the plug but in cold weather sometimes a bike needs the extra fuel to light off. It has worked for me numerous times, when the choke did not provide a rich enough mixture.
FlyKDXGuy

Hmmm...

Post by FlyKDXGuy »

Problems persist...

To get the bike started, I have to give it full throttle with the choke on but once it's on, it sputters like all hell when idling. Which the bike just refuses to do by itself because as soon as I lift off the throttle, the rpm drops to shut-off - doesn't attempt to keep running.

I've cleaned the pilot, restored the idle screw back to factory setting, new plug, fresh mix, cleaned the air filter.

Any ideas?
FlyKDXGuy

Post by FlyKDXGuy »

FlyKDXGuy wrote:Problems persist...

To get the bike started, I have to give it full throttle with the choke on but once it's on, it sputters like all hell when idling. Which the bike just refuses to do by itself because as soon as I lift off the throttle, the rpm drops to shut-off - doesn't attempt to keep running.

I've cleaned the pilot, restored the idle screw back to factory setting, new plug, fresh mix, cleaned the air filter.

Any ideas?
Video attachedhttp://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5a5851ae8e7 ... 0133_1.mp4

thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

Hmmm..... but it ran fine when you poured some mix directly into the cylinder?

It still sounds carb related to me. Have you done a jet block gasket at all? Did you check your reed valves? Or like someone else mentioned above, timing could be off too (sheared flywheel keyway)

I can't get the video to work, btw
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Maybe I missed it but did you check fuel flow through the petcock?
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R