Sexy Smoking Sumo Build?!

Got questions? We got answers....
hbaker
Supporting Member

Post by hbaker »

Hey everybody,

I recently bought a 1991 KDX 200 in green. Has USD forks from a 1995 CR125. I've done street bikes in the past but this is my first dirt baby and I'm excited to get going! I'm breaking this projects into 3 large parts. 1st is to get the machine running again in all its ugliness. 2nd would be frame up resto-mod(got a buddy that powdercoats for cheap!) 3rd would be a performance mod that's out of my price range right now

Needs a top end, guy claimed the jug was good but I have yet to pull it and look. also needs a chain and I'm going to clean the carb to start.

At this point I would be looking for advice on what to look for on these bikes to get it running as well as i can without heavy mods.

After getting a good running woods bike albiet pretty ugly, I would like to go through the process of getting it street legal. Checked VIN and its clean, Got a bill of sale and I can get bonded title here in Iowa. After a title what steps do i need to get a plate? Turn signals, headlight, tailight, DOT tires are on the list so far. Possibly changing the gears, what do you guys run? isn't it 14/44 stock?

If I go SUMO this machine: well it wouldn't exactly be a sumo, but a dual sport/sumo hybrid. I've heard you can lace 18" rims on a stock front hub, is this true? I'd like 18s front and back, stiffer springs, probably 80/20s to cruise around town and some light trails. eventually looking into a bigger or dual front brakes.

AND FINALLY, If you search KDX200 Supermoto on youtube and scroll maybe 3-5 videos down there's grainy footage of a nicely tuned KDX That sounds amazing as it pulls away, I WANT THAT SOUND. Disregarding tone coming from not running an air filter, I would like advice on a custom tuned pipe. Which programs are best and whether you guys tune ports or whatever.

SORRY! for novel, I'm just so excited for this thing!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Sexy Smoking Sumo Build?!

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to kdxrider. :bravo:

I suggest that one spends time and money on the engine first. A motorcycle that does nut turn the rear wheel is a statue.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
raygun
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by raygun »

Pictures are always appreciated :grin: I bet it's not that ugly!
1982 Kawasaki KZ1300
1999 Kawasaki KDX220
2003 Kawasaki KLX400SR
hbaker
Supporting Member

Post by hbaker »

Is there a trick to posting pics? I can't seem to figure it out. I'm on mobile though?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

3rd part hosting or Gallery for supporting members

Sorry, but being ad free has its price. The site sometimes runs at a deficit.
hbaker
Supporting Member

Post by hbaker »

I understand! I see the donate button, How much makes me a 'supporting member'? I'm interested. I have lots of questions
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

fiver :grin:

It might take a day or so before the CEO and worldwide support team (Julien D) gets to assigning a privelege in the system. Thanks for helping out.
hbaker
Supporting Member

Post by hbaker »

Thanks Jason! I'll take care of that ASAP and get you guys some pics to see what i'm working with!
hbaker
Supporting Member

Post by hbaker »

Donation Sent, so I upload pics to my gallery and then post and attach from there? (once it's been processed)
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I think you copy the link and use the IMG tags to put it in the thread. Lemme try...

I opened the gallery image, then right clicked (Copy image address)

Paste the address in the middle of the Img and /Img tags. (which one needs to just click on the "img" button.
hbaker
Supporting Member

Post by hbaker »

EDITED BY JASON (so image shows up properly)

This is when I got it:

hbaker
Supporting Member

Post by hbaker »

Apparently all my phone pictures are too large and I don't feel like re sizing plus the forum only let's me upload 1 at a time which is also annoying.
hbaker
Supporting Member

Post by hbaker »

EDITED BY Jason so pictures show up better:

okay I think I got this figured out sort of. My friend with a garage bailed on me last minute turning this into a truck bed build! Kind of. Took the motor out and brought it inside. It's sitting on my desk. Got new black vinyl to recover the seat for cheap. Call me young but I don't like the look of the blue seat plus it's all torn up

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I helped out some on the pics. Sorry that it is not the easiest system for hosting pictures.
hbaker
Supporting Member

Post by hbaker »

Its alright! will just take some getting used to. I'm gonna pull the cylinder off after Christmas and take some pictures but I think it's going to need to be plated and honed. the head had shiney bits of metal flake which has me worried. At this point I might as well do a full rebuild. I was going to go two directions with this bike: 1st being the easiest was to slap a piston in and some new gas and ride the piss out of it in the snow. OR 2nd was to do a complete resto-mod and take until mid spring to get everything done right and how I want. A friend has a small powdercoating business, has anyone ever tried doing the engine? I cant remember if he said it was regular powder or some difference ceramic but its the same stuff they do exhausts with, high temp. I figured with the motor apart I might as well. I'm thinking blacking it out
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Powder coat will lock the heat inside, will it not?

If you have metal flakes in the head, it may be a good idea to investigate where they came from.
hbaker
Supporting Member

Post by hbaker »

I'm not sure about holding the heat in. I would think with it being liquid cooled that the coating holding the heat in wouldn't matter? I'm not sure, More research is needed! I'll be breaking down the motor over the next few days ( got the xmas activities done already!) and post pictures as I go. Judging by the conditions of the case bolts it doesn't look like its been apart... Either way I'd like to replace main bearings and seals and just freshen everything up. Should I move this over to a different thread Jason? E specific maybe?
hbaker
Supporting Member

Post by hbaker »

A quick google update, this one has interesting info on ceramic coating including internal components! https://www.thomasnet.com/articles/chem ... c-coating/
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I will move it over to the general Q and A section.
hbaker
Supporting Member

Post by hbaker »

Thanks! I got the cylinder off and it seems I have a sleeved cylinder :( I tested this by using a fairly strong magnet to the cylinder and it stuck everywhere. I understand this means I cant go back to a plated cylinder. any advice to make the best of this situation? Should I run cast or forged pistons with a sleeved cylinder?