kx fork inspection

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
ico135

kx fork inspection

Post by ico135 »

Sorry for reposting a topic that has probably been discussed a few dozen, if not hundred times. But stumbled on a good deal and need to go grab soon before i have time to research much.
So i have a chance to go pick up a 2004 kx250 front end. Tire, forks, triple trees and caliper for a good price.
Questions are:
1. Anything specific i should look for on forks to inspect them. e.g. huge dings,etc.
2. 2004 kx250 to 2004 kdx 200, will the parts listed above be all i need?
3. Does it matter if it is a kx 250f four stroke?
Thanks in advance.
ico135

kx fork inspection

Post by ico135 »

update, looking at parts bike and it is defiantly a 250f, and he also has the year wrong. It is at least a 2006 because it has the aluminum perimeter frame.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: kx fork inspection

Post by KDXGarage »

I think you will need to figure out something about the steering stops. Aluminum framed KX250F has the stops on the back of the lower triple clamp.

See if they compress without seeming to have any issues internally.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Lumpy
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Lumpy »

I just did the fork conversion on my 00 KDX200 using a 2004 KX250F. no issues at all except for the larger diameter tubes and steering stops. the larger tubes will contact the gas tank prior to the steering stops doing their job. I had a friend build up the stop with a weld and ground them down so they now do their job. I measured the original geometry, set the new tubes in and was glad I run Handlebar risers to give me the extra room I needed. seems that the tubers are about 1 and 1/2 inches up in the triple tree to maintain the stock configuration. I am a happy, happy trail rider with the new suspension. Good luck
ico135

kx fork inspection

Post by ico135 »

Ok thanks everyone. Going to get this after noon so.
Just to confirm all i will need to do to grab the entire front end is pull that 30mm steering stem nut off, remove upper triple clamp, and remove that other nut. After that the entire steering stem with forks and all should slide out? So really no need to remove forks from lower triple tree, correct?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Correct. If you plan on using the bearings from the KX250F, it is best to get the races out of the frame that match up with the wear pattern of the worn bearings.
ico135

Post by ico135 »

Lumpy wrote:I just did the fork conversion on my 00 KDX200 using a 2004 KX250F. no issues at all except for the larger diameter tubes and steering stops. the larger tubes will contact the gas tank prior to the steering stops doing their job. I had a friend build up the stop with a weld and ground them down so they now do their job. I measured the original geometry, set the new tubes in and was glad I run Handlebar risers to give me the extra room I needed. seems that the tubers are about 1 and 1/2 inches up in the triple tree to maintain the stock configuration. I am a happy, happy trail rider with the new suspension. Good luck
Thanks for the info, good idea on building up steering stops. Do you have any recommendations on handlebar risers?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Read up on having the forks shortened internally vs. using ape hangers. :grin:
ico135

Post by ico135 »

I'm ultimately gonna shorten them internally but want to ride them for a bit to see what i think about the spring weight. Then try and do it all at once.

Got a parts bike with my kdx so gonna send that lower TT off it and the KX one off to Rob Black soon that way i don't have to stop riding. Just got to order that lower bearing first to send with so he can go ahead and throw on.

Any recommendations on the Bearing and stem races sets, I'm not quite certain what set to get. OEM ones or will i need some custom set?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Someone on another forum said he was not taking in any work right now, so call or e-mail him before you mail stuff out.

Are you stock bearings OK? Can you reuse them?
ico135

Post by ico135 »

Thanks for the heads up Jason, i'll check with him. I do have a back up plan so not a huge deal. May just have to put a little time in figuring out what shim and stuff need for top TT.
And not sure on old bearings yet. Didn't really consider doing that but i guess defiantly worth checking out. Would keep me from have to removing the races.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

When one presses the stem out, it goes downward. The bearing comes off, if a puller is not available.