Rebuild or dont worry about it??

Got questions? We got answers....
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Rebuild or dont worry about it??

Post by Ryan »

well, here is my situation. I just picked up a 1987 honda xl250r. I got it for $450 with the intentions of restoring it for riding woods, trails and possibly around town. I have the bike complety stripped down to the frame. I plan to paint the frame, clean every little peice then put it back together. The only thing that i can see it needs is a new front tire and some motor gaskets. . The bike had been sitting in a barn for about 5 years. It is in great shape. Here is what im not sure about. I have the head half off. Im not sure if i should take it the rest off. If I do i will need to reajust everything. I have not the slightest clue how to do this. I have owned 4 two strokes in the past 2 years and they way differnt in the motor. Anyway my question do you guys think i should rebuild the top end or just leave it be. Im not sure if i should tear it down and put in a new piston and rings. when i got the bike the gas was left on. The bike kicked over well so we put new gas in it and new oil. It ran three times for about three seconds each time. Im guessing it just needs a good carb cleaning. So do you guys think i should take the whole top end apart or just leave it? O i forgot to mention it only has less than 1500 original miles which i though was very low for a street legal bike. Any advice would be great.

Also a second question, anyone know why they went with a dual carb setup??
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Chewy

Post by Chewy »

Dual carb was to eliminate a flat spot off idle, for better fuel economy and more power.
They are said to be the most powerful RFVC engines produced but cooling problems and difficulty in tuning the dual carbs meant they redesigned the engine for the 86 model year.
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

so they made the carbs better in 86? thats a good thing casue i got an 87
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Chewy

Post by Chewy »

Has yours got dual carbs? The XR250 went to a single carb in in 86, Im not sure when the XL/R went to single carbs tho?
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

the last xl was in 1987. The xl was more of a dual sport and then they switched to the xr. If my bike was made in 8/86 but it says 1987 would that make it an 86 model or 87 model?? and yes mine has dual carbs
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I wouldn'y pull it apart anymore than I needed to to get it running. I'm guessing that would mean a good carb cleaning and a couple of oil changes.
It has just been my experience that I tend to do more harm than good when I "rebuild" stuff that doesn't necessarilly need it. That's just my experience. :roll:
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

Leave it ALONE Ryan
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
GS

Post by GS »

Rule #1...for me anyways...one bike in piecess at a time. I have my much-loved '84 XL600 single ALL over the shop right now. If you have not identified a specific problem with the motor...leave it the way Honda assembled it. LOTS of parts and $$$ in a 4 stroke and I know of no issue with that model of engine that needs urgent fixin'. Clean, well adjusted carb(float needles that seat), clean oil, a few hours run time makes a whole lot of sense. You WILL be sorry if you go further, without a clear, identifiable problem with that engine. I think Honda built a tough little motor in the 250. In my case, the chain tensioner was slipping and rattling. Seemed like a simple enough fix...but when I finish it won't be quite so simple as I thought!!!. Lots of not-too-bad parts gittin' replaced before their time, just cause I don't wanna count on them, about $1,000 too.
But....have fun either way!
Greg