Chain Size.

Got questions? We got answers....
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I'm stickin' with the 13T and 49 or 50 rear (haven't quite made up my mind yet)

I want to make sure I have enough snail adjustment for the given length chain.... so you try it first Jon and I will watch.... K? :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Hey, how are these "X" chains different from an "O"ring chain. I've had the "O"ring chain off the bike now a few times for cleaning. It has the "O" rings on the masterlink hense the name "O"ring chain. So whats the "X"ring chain like?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

"X"'s are hugs... and "O"s are kisses! :mrgreen:

X-Ring and O-Ring are pretty much the same. The O-Ring is smooth, where the X-ring is like two O-rings fused together. X-Ring is a later version of the O-Ring... the X-ring is supposed to hold the lube much better making for a longer wearing chain.
Last edited by Indawoods on 09:18 pm Dec 18 2005, edited 1 time in total.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

O-RING:

X-RING:

Viewed in cross-section, the "X-ring" has two lubrication pools and seal points versus the single seal point/pool design of a regular o-ring chain.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

To lube and clean that baby... the best stuff is ProGold's MFR Motorcycle Chain Lube. It has the consistency of WD-40 and won't attract dirt like the thick stuff. MFR stands for Metal Friction Reducer and they claim that if used regularly a standard chain will outlast a O-ring chain. But it works equally as well on a O or X ring chain.

I'm sure someone will say that it ain't so but in my mind it is and will keep using it. Do some research and i think you will agree.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

KI think thats the same chain lube I've been using as of late. I've tried the other stuff too and agree it attracts way to much dirt. I think it was that Belray chain lube that dries white in color. They claim it won't wear off and is water proof. You know, they're right too. It's so dang gooy, that it just cakes the dirt on the chain. I had to take the chain off, put it some parts cleaner and scubb the heck out of it. Finally got it clean. Soaked it in some good Royal Purple synthetic oil and it's almost like new. Has alittle were not much. I saved it incase things go arye with the new setup.

Thanks for the explonation on the different chains. I took the front sprocket off yesterday and noticed I should have gotten a drive shaft seal also. It's not leaking but it looks like it may start this summer sometime. I'm leaving that little chain guard off this time. All's it does is collect mud and packs in between the front sprocket and case. Perfect seal killer. :roll:

Should get it all together today. I checked the tracking number and it's in town. Should get the stuff today. Wifes home too. That should make it real interesting. I got my sprocket Friday and I was getting looks over a $12 part, just think when I tell her I spent $98 on this box! :shock:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That little chain guard thingy saves your cases in case of a chain breakage... better leave it on...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

The metal part might, the plastic part just traps mud. I've had the plastic part off for a while and don't see any reason to put it back on.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

I'm glad you guys said something about the guard. I'll try just using the metal part. never thought about the chain busting the case. That'd suck!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yeah buddy! It happened on my vintage '72 Indian MX175.... I almost cried..... ruined the bike... no spares anywhere to be found and had to junk it.

Your right Maurice.... I just always left it on for the bling factor! :shock: :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote: Your right Maurice.... I just always left it on for the bling factor! :shock: :lol:
Ha! :roll:
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E