Are these lowering links on Ebay a fine idea or....?

Got questions? We got answers....
GS

Are these lowering links on Ebay a fine idea or....?

Post by GS »

Hi all. This fellow sells lowering links on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 4594176620

Any comment about their usefulness? Must I get familiar with the feeling of knobs grinding against my fenders? I could really use the extra inch in those ticklish situations that seem to come along from time to time!!
Thanks!!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Run a short rear tire and those should work fine. They look well made too.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
fulltiltboogie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by fulltiltboogie »

I've had these on mine now for about a year and a half and they have been perfect. Besides lowering the bike about an inch they really do overall make the rear just perform better. There really is something to the "travel to start out from a plusher (more leverage) position of the suspension arc". Quality is much heavier duty than the stock pieces. Believe it or not......With these 2 simple cheap pieces it was like getting a whole new rear suspension. If you get them though be sure to paint or clear coat because they are just steel and will rust quick if you don't. I'd consider these a Must Have item on any KDX whether you wish to lower the bike or not. Tire size has never been an issue (I use a 110) nor have I ever bottomed out enough to rub fender and I'm a very agressive riding 225 lb. boy. Of course you will need to readjust your sag if you install these.
KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

I wonder what the hole pitch (distance between centers) is on these?
hehehe, yeah,yeah, I may be a little cheap but I hate to buy something that looks so easy to make. Trial and error here I come. :grin:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

1.5mm diff will get you about 3/8" change in seat height. Longer rod = shorter seat height. You know the OEM pitch, right?

You can make them thicker (from aluminium), use KX250 hardware and get a better fitting setup (sez me).

I agree with ski. There is a difference in the shock action due to leverage º changes.

Devol rods are much prettier...and they only cost about twice as much!! :wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

Thanks CC, do you know if the length of the rod in relationship to the height achieved is linear? ex. 4mm for a drop of 1 inch?

KX250 hardware bearings, and what else would be required?

In my opinion, aluminum is better then any material that can rust.

I would look at my bike, but as I mentioned before and unfortunately I work and live about 2 hrs away from my bike and only get to see it for 3 days of the week. :sad:
GS

Post by GS »

Just had a peek at the links installed on my purchased-used-so-I-don't-have-a-clue-what-came-before 220, they are clearly stamped " 112.5 " A quick measure with the tape indicates that this appears to correspond to a bolt center-to-center distance in mm. Are these stock? I have to wonder why they are stamped with a measurement if they are a stock item? Kawa offered more than one link length? Anybody? Please don't tell me that somebody has already lowered this bike!!

Devol--do they install inserts in the ends to resist wear?
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Please? Well...OK!

Wow....112.5mm?? Someone already lowered your bike a couple inches!!!

:shock:

I'm foolin' 'ya... :wink:

Yes. 112.5mm is 'standard' ...OEM..'out-of-the-box'.

Phil: Linear?

I don't see how that would be possible. I don't see how it could be anything BUT nonlinear.

The only reason the KX250 hardware would be required is to account for a thicker material...aluminium (sic btw), as you say.

The Devol rod has an offset hex insert on one end to make the rods adjustable..either stock or +/- 1.5mm (normal disclaimer..consider the source..imo...what I recall and all that baloney).

The other end of the Devol rods is NOT bushed/inserted.

re: wear
The washers take care of that in the Devol setup.

Note: You should certainly check to be sure...but if anyone chooses the Devol rods: The required hardware (KX bolts/washers/locking nuts if you want nicey new ones) did NOT come with the rods when I bought mine. They (Devol) told me they were GOING to start including them with their rods. It seemed kind'a lousy to me to order their rods, THEN find out on a piece of paper with the parts: 'Oh..You need to go buy some other stuff....' No PN or anything. So...MAYbe they've changed their 'kit'...maybe not. Last I talked to them they said they were going to do that.

The KX bolts aren't cheap!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
JD

Post by JD »

It's funny that you can mention the e-word on this site and the world doesn't end. Try it on the other site...

Somebody just did and it didn't take long for the s*** to fly! Reminds me why I spend so little time there.
'04 200