Help Kdx200 H series which rear spring to use?

Got questions? We got answers....
goatrider

Post by goatrider »

Hello. I'm a noob. Bought a KDX200 last year and I think it's a '99 model. Anyway, haven't had any time to ride due to health and other issues. The PO was much bigger than me and had already installed I believe he said a KLX front end. The rear shock has a silver spring on it and he gave me a blue one which I believe was the stock one. I see no markings on them indicating spring kg. I weigh 175 lbs., and with gear and a camel pack probably around 190-195. I have nowhere to ride nearby to test because I live in an urban area. I do recall when I test rode the bike at PO's house, the rear seemed stiff. I'd like to make any obvious changes before I take a trip to the mountains. It already has the FMF woods setup, but not sure about any carb, head or port work. I do know it did not pull or have any top end anything like the '05 YZ250f that I sold, so maybe no engine work. I just wanted to go back to two strokes! Anyone know how to check rear spring kg or is the color the key? Thanks.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Help Kdx200 H series which rear spring to use?

Post by KDXGarage »

Hello, and welcome to the forums. Are you able to host a pic somewhere and link it to here? If it is a sky blue-ish spring, then it may be the stock spring. Do you have a suspension shop within driving distance? They may have a spring rate tester.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
CAL-kawi

Post by CAL-kawi »

The race tech springs are a little darker shade of blue, and any that I've had the spring rate was marked in white paint. If it's the "sky blue" with no markings then it's probably oem, and fairly safe to assume the stock 5.0 rate, as optional oem springs are pricey.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

You might also measure the spring height. A KDX spring is not really as tall as an aftermarket spring, if I remember correctly. Someone correct me if need be.
CAL-kawi

Post by CAL-kawi »

That sounds about right. I've got some oem springs lying around here somewhere, so can confirm a dimension if needed.
goatrider

Post by goatrider »

Thanks for the replies. Spring is 10 1/8" tall uninstalled. It's appears light blue or sky blue with no markings. If it's a 5kg, would a lower kg be better for my weight? I will be riding woods and log trails with ruts. I'm 175lbs without gear and camel pack. I'm also an old fart. Thanks again. I'm trying to attach a photo of the spring, but when I click image, I just get the text [img] underlined in red and no option to choose from my photos on my laptop.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

It sounds like the stock spring.

It should be pretty close for your weight, better than what is on there if the other guy was a lot bigger than you.

The Gallery is for supporting members, it helps to keep the site ad free. You might try an online photo hosting site, then link to here.
goatrider

Post by goatrider »

Thanks Jason. Yea, the PO gave me a box of OEM stuff he had replaced, so I would guess it's stock. I remember him saying he changed the spring because of his weight. He was probably 250lbs+ and I'm only 175. As a matter of fact, he said he was selling the KDX to buy a bigger bike (450 thumper). I've never changed a rear spring before. I'll check for instructions, but is this something one can do without specialty tools or a press? Also, how does one know if they need a rear shock rebuild and/or nitrogen charge? I don't know the maintenance history of the rear suspension. Thanks.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Definitely go with the stock spring then.

Look on youtube for shock rebuild videos for KYB. It will show them taking the spring off, then skip to the end to see them putting it back on.

Spray some lube onto the threads before turning the collars (or hitting them with a punch). Rocks and grit up under there will chew up the aluminum shock body before the steel collars.
goatrider

Post by goatrider »

Will do. Thanks Jason. Any quick thoughts on the rear shock rebuild necessity or nitrogen recharge? I'll start a new thread for that if you prefer.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Do you have any evidence that iit has ever been rebuilt? If oil is leaking from it, then it most definitely needs to be worked on.

In general, it is my opinion that almost all KDX's that people but could benefit from at least am oil change, but most people seem to just run it into the ground instead of spending the money on proper shock maintenance, or buying the tools, or talking on a moderate task. It is not easy the first time, and you can't do it all with the tools that almost anyone has.

You might want to start a new thread so someone that might have some advice can see the proper thread title.
goatrider

Post by goatrider »

Don't see any oil leaking, but not sure what PO did other than change the spring. To be sure, I'll look around the site and see if it looks like I can rebuild it myself or maybe find a place to send it off and have it done. Thanks for the advice.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

OK, sounds good. If you decide to give it a go or want to supply parts to the servicer, I have assembled a kit for KDX shock rebuild.

Well, crap/ My ad expired. I was going to give you a link to there. I have one on eBay, but I can sell it cheaper through here without tithing 10% to eBay.
goatrider

Post by goatrider »

Thanks Jason. Is there info on your kit on this website? What is included and how much $ is what I'm looking for. Thanks.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

There used to be. I think all the For Sale posts expire after 60 days.

All the parts are from KYB (Kayaba), the company that Kawasaki hired to make the forks and shocks to the Kawasaki specs. Kayaba makes suspension for some Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha and a couple of Suzukis over the years. All the parts are made in Japan, not China. This is not All Balls or Pivotworks stuff. No one (OK, besides me) sells a kit for our KDX's, though they are available for lots of MX bikes.

The parts fit any full sized USA KDX from 1989 - 2006.

complete seal head
bumper
bladder
piston band
piston o-ring
shaft nut

Price is $94.99. That includes USPS Priority Mail shipping.

Look on the Race Tech site to see their video on shock rebuilding, plus there are some on Youtube. With the bleed bolt on our KDX's, it is a bit easier to bleed it compared to what most videos show, even for Yamaha KYB's.

administrator at kdxgarage dot com to e-mail me for more details. Thanks!
goatrider

Post by goatrider »

Will do that tomorrow a.m. I need to also check around to see if I can find somewhere local to check my nitrogen charge and recharge if necessary. I'll definitely check out the rebuild video and buy the kit from you if I think I can rebuild it myself. My YZ250f that I sold had KYB forks, but PO had installed an Ohlins rear shock. Check back with you tomorrow at that other address. Thanks.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Thanks. I put the thread up again in the classified section:

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 69&t=21822

Since the shock reservoir (bladder) has such a small amount of volume, one does not really check the nitrogen pressure. Putting a gauge on the Schrader valve will result in an instant reduction in pressure inside the bladder, dropping the pressure below spec. It will then be requiring to charge the bladder again.

Thanks again.
goatrider

Post by goatrider »

I understand. The obvious question for me is how do you know if the bladder needs a charge? I guess you install a new one, you know it needs charged. What about one already installed, previously charged and used? Thanks.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

If it is real low it will allow the seal to allow oil past. Otherwise, one does not know just how off it is and charging it brings it back up to spec. They DO lose pressure over time.
goatrider

Post by goatrider »

Gotcha.