Three small questions

Got questions? We got answers....
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Three small questions

Post by Ryan »

1. Should i change my brake fluid now? the bike is a 2001 and i doubt it was done by the last guy.
2. Is this easier to do on or off the bike?
3. Can i use 75w90 to use as my fork oil? if not what is better? thanks
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

1) yes
2) I don't think so, but some do. Just don't let air get in the line.
3) ??? use 5 wt. fork oil. I tried heavier oil since I put heavier springs in, and it pretty much sux.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I change my brake fluid about 4 or 5 times a year. It makes a difference in their performance. It's easier to change on the bike since the reservoir is mounted to the bars and won't be moving around. Be prepared to slop a little though as you fill it. I just toss a towel on the ground below the fill point. Who told you to use 75W90 oil for your forks? 5wt. will work best as Mike pointed out.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

ok i have the brakes off the bike right now so should i put them back on or keep them off and do the fluid change?
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

ok thanks for the help, i just had some 75w90 gear oil around and i was wondering if it would work.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

1. Brake fluid should be at least on your annual maintenance schedule.

2. Much easier 'on the bike'. Use a vacuum/pressure bleeder. The pressure method generally works better (applied to the caliper..push the fluid back into the master cylinder).

3. re: '75w90' for fork oil.

Uh..not a chance!! That's close to (not that I've ever seen....) but close to a gear oil designation. That is NOT what goes in forks.

There are several choices for fork fluid. Most folks (like 2-stroke premix oil) think their choice is 'the best!'.

Jeremy Wilkey (MX-Tech) used to recommend Mobil-1 ATF for home refills. You can use a specific fork oil..say from BelRay. The weight varies by choice, but something in the 5-7.5 range will work fine. You can mix 50/50 5/10wt oils to get a 7.5wt if that's what you want.

You can also use some spendy ($40/qt) super slick stuff you can get from RaceTech.

Depending on what level you set and how clean your forks are, you will probably need just a tad over a quart to refill to a 100mm level.

...I'd recommend more like 115mm, though. Well...IF your spring rate is correct. If you still have the oem springs, stick with 100mm.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Matt-itude

Post by Matt-itude »

when I change my brake fluid I like to just do it on the bike and i use a clean rag to soak all the fluid out of the reservoir and then I wipe it out clean (at this point do not touch the lever or you will have to bleed the system) then fill it up and bleed it out to clear the lines and caliper of old fluid. I have just been amazed at times the amount of crud that can build up in the bottom of the reservoir in a short time.
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

well i put some pics of my project in the gallery if anyone is interested.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250