Jaguar CDI

Got questions? We got answers....
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Jaguar CDI

Post by SS109 »

Just thought I would drop in and say hi, apologize I haven't been around, and since it's been a while, give a bit of an update. Between work and the crazy events that have taken place in my life, I just haven't been online a whole lot. Even went a while with no riding :shock: Hopefully I'll be around more and can contribute to the forum again.

Anyway, as some will remember, I had my Gas Gas EC250 stolen so I found a killer deal on a '98 220 for $700. Bike came with RB carb and head mods, Boyeson RAD valve, FMF desert pipe and matching turbine core silencer. Then I upgraded it with '05 KX250f Showa forks and a '01-'04 RM125 Showa shock with separate high/low speed compression. The bike has been great for the most part but I really miss the top end pull of my old E-series KDX200 and GG 250. The 220, while awesome down low, just didn't have the pull up top that I want.

Fast forward to a couple of months ago. I had a problem with the silencer, and while looking through my spare parts, I found one left over part that I boxed away and never installed on the 200, the Jaguar adjustable CDI. Because the 200 ran so good I just didn't mess with it. I thought, hmm, why not try it on the 220? Now, this is the older model without the dip switches or the KDX specific terminated connectors. Mike has made quite a few improvements to his CDI since I purchased mine. My older one has four complete timing curves that parallel one another other than how much advance/retard they start with. The second adjustment is for top end retard that starts at about 3000 rpm and varies how fast it kicks in. I followed his directions for determining what the best ignition curve was for my particular bike.

After determining what felt the best to me, I mounted it up, and went for an 11 mile singletrack ride that has long straights, rocks, deep soft sand, whoops/braking bumps, and really tight turns. All I can say is... WOW! My 220 is like a different bike. It has so much power now that the bike is actually easier to ride. Not explosive power but just more power everywhere throughout the rpm range and it extended the top end considerably. It still has the bottom end the 220 is known for but the bottom is even better. I can carry a higher gear than before in almost every situation. This also allowed for better traction in the super dry conditions here AZ. I can lug up hills now that I had to have my momentum and revs up to make before. I even found myself using 6th gear (normally 5th) on a long somewhat straight section as it would still pull the bike hard where before it would be soft/boggy feeling in the same gear. It has so much power now that the bike is just plain easier to ride. I can now lift the front at will and it makes clearing g-outs, charging whoops, and powering through soft sand much easier. Another benefit I noticed is the throttle response as it feels more crisp and instantly responds to throttle input. My jetting is pretty spot on so I really didn't expect any difference there but it was definitely noticeable. It also seems to rev just a hair quicker and especially so once you hit the powerband.

In conclusion, IMO, I would say this is one of the best mods to do to a KDX220. I would put it behind suspension and the RB carb/head mods and maybe just behind an aftermarket pipe. I truly think it would be a worthwhile addition to any KDX if you're looking for a wider power range and/or want to get every bit out of power out of it. The only thing left is to see how durable it is but only time will tell. I'll keep everyone posted if anything new pops up concerning it

So, there you have it. :boogie:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Jaguar CDI

Post by KDXGarage »

Glad to see you back around. I hope life turns toward your favor. Thanks for the report on the Jaguar CDI. I had seen him selling them, but don't ever remember a ride report.

Thanks again.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Thanks for the report. I've been pretty curious how those did, sounds like they are pretty darn good. How do you go about determining the correct curve for your particular bike? Its not a try each one and see which you like the most?
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
chkdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by chkdx »

That is good info, thanks for the report.
IceCold4x4

Post by IceCold4x4 »

Who / where do ya get one from?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
1997 KDX 200 - FMF pipe and silencer and I have no clue what else yet.
2000 ZRX1100 - 1109 big bore, ZX11 carbs / cams/ double valve springs / igntion box / Kerker exhaust. It's Mad Max black and fast but rarely clean
2006 Volvo XC90 V8 - The toy hauler and sleeper. 300hp and AWD in a soccer mom SUV.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Tyl3r wrote:Thanks for the report. I've been pretty curious how those did, sounds like they are pretty darn good. How do you go about determining the correct curve for your particular bike? Its not a try each one and see which you like the most?
Sadly, yeah, you just have to try each one. That was eight different test rides to figure it out but it was still easy to do. It took me maybe 30-45 minutes total.

Basically, you start by adjusting the overall curve for best low to mid power first. I found some deep soft sand to test in and tried each setting until I felt I found the best curve to power out of it. After you find the best low-mid setting you then adjust the top end retard. I tested on an open high speed section for the best mid to top end power.

It's really hard to explain the power difference. It's just more power everywhere, with more over rev, and crisp throttle response. As typical of a 220, there really isn't a big powerband hit, and that doesn't really change with this CDI. However, you can feel it more but it is still very controllable and pulls longer and harder.

Now, 200 vs 220, I have no clue how it would affect the 200 but I would think similar gains would be had just by the nature of better tailoring the ignition curve for it and it produces a hotter spark.
'11 GasGas EC250R
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

IceCold4x4 wrote:Who / where do ya get one from?
Right here! http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/KDXCDI.html BTW, he is also a fellow KDX Rider forum member.
'11 GasGas EC250R
IceCold4x4

Post by IceCold4x4 »

SS109 wrote:
IceCold4x4 wrote:Who / where do ya get one from?
Right here! http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/KDXCDI.html BTW, he is also a fellow KDX Rider forum member.
Website doesn't seem to be working but that could just be me stuck in the middle of nowhere on a jobsite today.

2000 ZRX1100 - 1109 big bore, ZX11 carbs / cams/ double valve springs / igntion box / Kerker exhaust. It's Mad Max black and fast but rarely clean
2006 Volvo XC90 V8 - The toy hauler and sleeper. 300hp and AWD in a soccer mom SUV.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Jaguar CDI

Post by SS109 »

Yeah, give it a few and try again. I just talked with him last week and I know his page was just up a few minutes ago.
'11 GasGas EC250R
javjacob

Post by javjacob »

I am very interested in this! It showed they are out of the H series CDI.

I am curious what exactly he meant when he said...

"I have tested a few ignition coils and now recommend the Honda CR coil because it allows a spark gap of twice as much as most other coils which indicates it is more powerful. Some of them have the same 55mm bolt hole spacing as the KDX. For example, the '97-'99 CR125 & CR250 ignition coil has 55mm hole spacing and 45mm body diameter."

Is he saying a 97-99 CR125 or CR250 ignition coil would work on the KDX for a power gain? Would this go along with the Jaguar CDI?
2000 Kawasaki KDX220R
1996 Kawasaki KDX200
IceCold4x4

Post by IceCold4x4 »

As I read it yes. In car terms I would liken it to the upgrade from a stock coil to say a MSD blaster coil.

A coil that will fire a larger gap results in a bigger initial ignition and will improve flame front propagation thus increasing peak cylinder pressure and horsepower. Note that this increase is small but might be noticeable and a good idea to improve low end and help with a more complete burn staving off the "splooge"

javjacob

Post by javjacob »

This is definitely on my wish list. I have a similar set up as you do SS109. 2000 KDX220R with the FMF desert (rev) pipe, Turbinecore 2 silencer, RB carb and head mods, Boyesen 607 reeds. I would be curious to what settings you use and how hard it is to adjust it? Sounds like a good product.

I am also interested in hearing more about the 97-99 CR ignition coil. :razz:
2000 Kawasaki KDX220R
1996 Kawasaki KDX200
chkdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by chkdx »

I was an electrical engineer at Mallory Ignition for years, and we tested the effect of spark gap vs power quite a bit on cars. A wide plug gap will rarely show a measurable increase in peak power. What it WILL do ( and the reason OEM car manufacturers started using wide gaps ) is help combustion at low load, part throttle running, when there is a lot of residual exhaust gas in the chamber during the power stroke.

Given that 2 strokes inherently have even more exhaust gas residual at part throttle than 4 strokes, there is a very good chance this coil change will help low speed running and throttle response. It might even help peak power, but increase will be small unless the original coil / plug combination was actually causing misfire.

If you ever hear it breaking up at high speed, or it gets hard to start when the plug's a little dirty, the gap is probably too wide.

Finally, be aware that changing the coil can also affect the ignition timing, it may affect timing more at high rpm than low, or vice versa, and any power change may be related more to ignition timing than spark energy level.
chkdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by chkdx »

In fact, the cool thing about the Jaguar CDI is that it seems you can tailor the timing curve to get a best match to the coil characteristics. Think I'm gonna have to get me one of those.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

javjacob wrote:This is definitely on my wish list. I have a similar set up as you do SS109. 2000 KDX220R with the FMF desert (rev) pipe, Turbinecore 2 silencer, RB carb and head mods, Boyesen 607 reeds. I would be curious to what settings you use and how hard it is to adjust it? Sounds like a good product.

I am also interested in hearing more about the 97-99 CR ignition coil. :razz:
My setting really won't be applicable since my CDI is the older with jumpers to make the changes the new version has been upgraded with little switches to select between the different curves along with some other internal upgrades. Just follow his instructions on how to test for the best setup and you'll be good.

BTW, I'm running the original coil and stock plug gap. Plug wire and NGK BR8ES plug is near new. I might try a larger gap at some point but I don't feel like swapping the coil since, like chkdx said, it can change the timing. Plus, I'm very happy with how it runs now and it's all neatly mounted in place.
'11 GasGas EC250R
javjacob

Post by javjacob »

Hopefully they are back in stock soon. I plan to get one.
2000 Kawasaki KDX220R
1996 Kawasaki KDX200
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

From his page:

"PAYMENT: I'm sorry but I no longer sell these. My price was less than half of other CDIs and yet I only sold about 2 a year. It's just not enough to mess with. The ungrateful people I sold them to were too self-centered to take the time to report back to me on their experience with it so I could use their feedback to promote them. So in general it's been a bad expereince for me to try to help out KDX owners."
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Jason wrote:From his page:

"PAYMENT: I'm sorry but I no longer sell these. My price was less than half of other CDIs and yet I only sold about 2 a year. It's just not enough to mess with. The ungrateful people I sold them to were too self-centered to take the time to report back to me on their experience with it so I could use their feedback to promote them. So in general it's been a bad expereince for me to try to help out KDX owners."
Wow. I somehow missed that. That's a real shame. If I had known he needed feedback at the time I bought mine, as I don't recall him asking me to, I would have gladly went a head and installed it and let him know along with posting up my review on here, TT, and KXriders.
:doh:
'11 GasGas EC250R
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Man, that is a real bummer. Wonder if we could convince him to whip out a few last ones?
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
IceCold4x4

Post by IceCold4x4 »

I just sent and email begging for one....