Got questions? We got answers....
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Replacing seat foam

Post by canyncarvr »

Who's done this already?

http://www.cyclepages.com/ProductDetail ... ID=4093227

Whether oem or something aftermarket...anyone with experiences either way?

What does 'firm' mean (in the above) for anyone doing it.

There is an outfit that sells a complete seat..base, foam AND cover for around $100. Anyone use one'a them?

Thanks for the input.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
kelasaki

Post by kelasaki »

I'm running the Ceet tall foam and a gripper cover off of ebay. I think it's just the right "firm"ness, somewhere in between the soft stocker and a ktm 2x6. I used a hair dryer to warm up the cover and lots of tugging to get it wrinkle free. A mechanical staple gun will work, but it's an art. I was good for about 1 good staple and one "@#$%" out of 2 attempts towards the end.

I don't remember seeing a complete seat for the KDX from Moose or SDG when I did it, but they may have one now. $100 sounds like a good deal.

The tall seat and raised bars make the bike fit much better for me, 5'11".
T-Roy
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by T-Roy »

CC, i ordered standard height stiff seat foam from Gutts. The stiff foam is comparable to the old KTM seat foam firmness. Not comfortable for long trail rides, but great for being able to move around on for aggresive riding. The stock foam sucks me into it, not allowing me to slide around in the saddle.

My 02.
2001 KDX 200
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

For starters, my stock foam is fairly well broken down..and I wouldn't mind something stiffer, but don't want anything close to the stuff KTM uses.

ARGH!!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Just get the standard foam CC... you'd be sorry getting the stiff I imagine. Stiff is OK if you ride alot standing up, but even at that... I would still get the standard stuff...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
T-Roy
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by T-Roy »

Yes, I agree with Inda, go with the stock firmness. I like the stiff seat for the local track, but not for the woods. That is why I have two complete seats, one for the woods with stock foam and one for the track. Not that it matters that much anywho, as I suck on both. :rolleyes:
2001 KDX 200
kelasaki

Post by kelasaki »

I don't think the Ceet foam comes in different firmnesses (my word), but it looks like Guts has soft, medium and hard.

I like the firmness of the Ceet foam and it doesn't bother me during an enduro, but I don't know how it compares to the Guts stuff. I would guess the hard might be too hard, the soft might be too soft, and the medium might be just right.