Race Day

Got racing stories or pictures to share?
Willbilly

Race Day

Post by Willbilly »

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Race Day

Post by KDXGarage »

HECK YEAH.

Tell us all about it when you get time. :supz:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Race Day

Post by thirdgenlxi »

Awesome..... Good luck!! :grin: Where are you racing at?
G22inSC
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by G22inSC »

I always loved the old KX green. Wish they never changed to black fuel tanks and gray/silver frames.

Good luck at the race!
'05 Kaw KDX200 ('00 KX125 forks / '02 RM125 Showa "K2" shock)
'14 Yam YZ125(x) (oldest boy's)
'22 Yam YZ125X (youngest boy's)
'17 Yam YZ85 (soon to be FOR SALE)
'10 Honda Recon (wife's)
'08 Kaw KX65 (Sold)
'07 KTM 50SX Sr. (Sold)
'09 Yam PW50 (retired)
'97 Kaw KX250 (Sold)

Gallery

2005 KDX200 Bike Profile
BamBam
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by BamBam »

Can smell the pre-mix in the air !!!
Let us know all the details.... type race, how it went, race setup tips. Excited to try this myself soon !!
Willbilly

Race Day

Post by Willbilly »

It was a hare scramble race called the Joe Lloyd Memorial at Oak Ridge located in Arrington VA and it was part of the Virginia Championship Hare Scramble Series. All week the forecast predicted rain in the AM and again in the afternoon but the weather was so nice and clear all weekend that I got to sleep under the stars. The faster kids raced (ages 9-15) at 8:30 am, then the younger kids, called Horizons (ages 4-11), raced at 9:30. The next race was the adult C, expert 55 y/o +, and expert women at 10:45. It's a dead engine start. I raced in the 30+ C class which wears a number and the letter J. I'm 4 J and the J class starts on the sixth row.

The Morning race is 3 laps of a 9 mile loop consisting mostly of woods and some wide open grass track. Most of the woods were whooped out but it was fast. I rode in mostly 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear and had an average speed of 16mph. The fastest rider in the AM was 18.8mph. I got 3rd in my class of 16, and 47 out of 257 morning riders.

I stuck around to watch the afternoon race which consists of Pros, A, & B riders. It's always fun to watch the fast riders. They did 4 laps of the same loop.

Then I went home, washed the bike and gear, and am writing this.

Last edited by Willbilly on 08:46 pm Mar 26 2017, edited 1 time in total.
John_S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by John_S »

Congratulations!! What is the red bottle you have strapped to the forks?
Willbilly

Post by Willbilly »

John_S wrote:Congratulations!! What is the red bottle you have strapped to the forks?
Flat head screw driver in a 3/8 hose zip tied to forks to adjust air and idle screw anytime
BamBam
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by BamBam »

Did you see any other KDX bikes that day?
Willbilly

Post by Willbilly »

BamBam wrote:Did you see any other KDX bikes that day?
yup I saw a KDX 200 in the 200 C class and a marshal had one too. I felt bad for the few Kx riders who had tiny gas tanks
BamBam
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by BamBam »

Can you give me some insight on personal gear recommended for racing? Do you wear a chest protector outside, or under jersey type? Camel back (and does that go over or under chest protector)? Race pants over boot or inside boot? Kidney belt?

I am sooooo out of touch with current gear, I could really use some help.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Willbilly

Post by Willbilly »

BamBam wrote:Can you give me some insight on personal gear recommended for racing? Do you wear a chest protector outside, or under jersey type? Camel back (and does that go over or under chest protector)? Race pants over boot or inside boot? Kidney belt?

I am sooooo out of touch with current gear, I could really use some help.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Helmet, goggles, jersey, pants, boots, chest protector, gloves, elbow guards, knee guards, hip pads.

Elbow guards underneath jersey, jersey under chest protector, chest protector under camelback. Most pants inside boot unless you buy over the boot specific pants

Some wear kidney belts. Some riders also wear neck braces. And some don't even wear a chest protector!

I can't give specific brand and model advise but I would advise having at least a mid range boot. I broke two pair of entry level boots last year and it wasn't worth it. I ride the alpine star tech 7s now

Edit: found a GoPro video already of my class. I was last off the line but come into view at 0:42, orange helmet blue gear and of course green bike!

[youtube][/youtube]
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Race Day

Post by thirdgenlxi »

Awesome dude.... Congrats! 3rd is still dang good :grin:

You ever venture down south and do any of the Mideast or NCHSA hare scrambles?
Willbilly

Race Day

Post by Willbilly »

thirdgenlxi wrote:Awesome dude.... Congrats! 3rd is still dang good :grin:

Thanks I'm proud it's my best place yet. I haven't tried any of those series.
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Race Day

Post by thirdgenlxi »

Willbilly wrote:
thirdgenlxi wrote:Awesome dude.... Congrats! 3rd is still dang good :grin:

Thanks I'm proud it's my best place yet. I haven't tried any of those series.
Cool deal..... Well if you ever decide to do any, let me know! Would be great to meet up and ride/race with ya (I just did my first race a few weeks ago but def plan on doing more. Kicking myself for not going to the one today). Most are here in western/central NC, and SC
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

CONGRATULATIONS!! :partyman: :supz:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
BamBam
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by BamBam »

"Edit: found a GoPro video already of my class. I was last off the line but come into view at 0:42, orange helmet blue gear and of course green bike!"

That go-pro takes some nice footage! You appear again at the 5:50 mark. Seems like a lot of various people are on the side of the trail as the guy is filming and driving along. Is that because of the whoop'd out trail sending people off the path and into the trees?

I was looking at that race since I am local Maryland too. Just could not get me and the bike ready in time. Soon though!! But I am no 3rd place C champ! I might be more back of the pack in D or E ranking. Ha! Maybe thinking Broad Mountain endure might be my first actual race ever.... anyone ever run it for some insight?
Willbilly

Race Day

Post by Willbilly »

thirdgenlxi wrote:Cool deal..... Well if you ever decide to do any, let me know! Would be great to meet up and ride/race with ya (I just did my first race a few weeks ago but def plan on doing more. Kicking myself for not going to the one today). Most are here in western/central NC, and SC
Thanks for the offer bud. I'll be booked up pretty much for this series until November but we have a break next month and again in July so maybe i'll send you a PM and head down south.
BamBam wrote:"Edit: found a GoPro video already of my class. I was last off the line but come into view at 0:42, orange helmet blue gear and of course green bike!"

That go-pro takes some nice footage! You appear again at the 5:50 mark. Seems like a lot of various people are on the side of the trail as the guy is filming and driving along. Is that because of the whoop'd out trail sending people off the path and into the trees?

I was looking at that race since I am local Maryland too. Just could not get me and the bike ready in time. Soon though!! But I am no 3rd place C champ! I might be more back of the pack in D or E ranking. Ha! Maybe thinking Broad Mountain endure might be my first actual race ever.... anyone ever run it for some insight?
Yeah it does. Those people on the side of the trail were most likely there because they were riding above their limit and had a crash in the first five miles or wore themselves out early. The start makes people forget they have another 1.5 hours of hard riding to go.
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Race Day

Post by thirdgenlxi »

Willbilly wrote:
thirdgenlxi wrote:Cool deal..... Well if you ever decide to do any, let me know! Would be great to meet up and ride/race with ya (I just did my first race a few weeks ago but def plan on doing more. Kicking myself for not going to the one today). Most are here in western/central NC, and SC
Thanks for the offer bud. I'll be booked up pretty much for this series until November but we have a break next month and again in July so maybe i'll send you a PM and head down south.
Hell yea.... Just let me know! Even if it's not for a race you're still welcome to come down ride with us anytime..... We ride every single weekend (I've put 624 hours on my bike in the past 2 years, if that tells ya anything, haha). Come on down and check it out.... We've got some good riding spots. Welcome to crash here at my place anytime..... My house is always open to riding buds :grin:
Willbilly

Race Day

Post by Willbilly »

That's an awesome offer and I appreciate it. I've been wanting to come down to NC and try riding towards the mountains, especially the Brushy Mountain trail area. We've got a race on April 9 and then nothing until May 7th, maybe I can make it happen then. I'll send you a PM in a few weeks. I live in Danville so i'm not very far either.

That is a crazy amount of hours, do you ride on the road too? At 624 hours that's 6 hours a week every single week for 2 years.