Custom Stems

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
T-Roy
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Custom Stems

Post by T-Roy »

Howdy Fellas!

Well, to make a long story short, the deal on my KDX fell through (I was selling out :sad: ), so it looks like I'm going to keep her after all :cool: . With that being said, I'm now going to go ahead and complete my KX front end conversion. No better time than Christmas to spend some more cash on the 2-honey...

I have a 01 KDX and a set of 03 KX TT's. I would love to have a custom stem desinged and manufactured for my conversion. Is this something that would be worth my time pursuing? I personally don't know a machinist and noticed that Phil was one! Phil, would you be willing to take on a project such as this? I'm willing to pay accordingly, unless you feel that the process would be cost prohibitive.

Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Man, it feels nice to be back in the game again. :supz:
2001 KDX 200
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Welcome BACK! :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

Glad to hear you decided to keep the bike, she's a beauty!

As far as pay goes, I will not do it for profit, I would glady take on any challenges relating to this. Do you get snow there? Is the bike put away for the winter? I am first going to tackle my setup, and if it works I would like to send a stem to someone so they can check to see if it works on the US model. If so, I would like to get hold of other years TT's and make the stems to convert each year. At that point I can either send you a stem and you can have soemone press it in, or you can send your TT to me and I can press it in. Even better if we can figure out a way to restrict the rotation (discussed in previous threads and solution underway) a press fit is not necessary but, a very close tight toleranced fit without machining to TT (woodruff key would be nice). I guess we should look at the cost of shipping a TT and see what options we have.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

A Woodruff key would wear the aluminum... a roll pin or two would do the trrick though... like KDXr's Aussie bike.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

Yeah it would, but the principal works. Any pics on this roll pin?

You could drill and tap a hole through the front of the TT and screw in pin that would locate inside an oblong hole in the stem. Unfortunately, the whole idea was avoiding modifications, although anyone with a drill and tap could do this one, and these threaded locating pins are easy to get, for me anyway, could come with the stem.

I am just tossing around ideas, feel free to contribute.

Reason for the oblong hole is that the up and down location of the stem should not be controlled by the pin, just the rotation.
Last edited by KDX220PHIL on 12:13 pm Dec 07 2005, edited 1 time in total.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Not really... look at the stem at the bottom of the pic... you can make out the pin...

*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

Am I blind??? I don't see it! :? Is it that darkish spot that look slike a suff?

*EDIT* Looks like a scuff.
Last edited by KDX220PHIL on 01:13 pm Dec 07 2005, edited 1 time in total.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yup...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Here's the grub screw that replaced the roll pin. It is a better option to a roll pin because it can be removed very easily.

KDX220PHIL wrote:Am I blind??? I don't see it! Confused Is it that darkish spot that look slike a suff?
That spot is the hole that the roll pin / grub screw goes into. It is just a basic everyday hole drilled about 2mm deep. Here's a dodgier picture for ya. And what's a 'suff' ??

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

My idea exactly!!!!

KDX'R- I meant "Scuff", haha.

Does evryone's TT's come with this hole? I will have to check mine when I get home on Friday.
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Nope I believe I am primogenial or numero uno. :shock: In other words "NO" I think I'm the only lucky one. :rolleyes: :mrgreen:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Why bother making a stem? Just for the fun/challenge/neatoh-ness of it?

Just curious about it is all.

The fit of the KDX stem into the KX clamps isn't a problem. There are some things good to know about it...but those things have already been noted on this forum.

I bet you'll really like the KX setup! It's a treat to ride!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

The whole purpose of this project:

To avoid modifying any parts that would result in them being useless as their original purpose. The Kx parts can still fit a KX and the KDX parts will still fit a KDX.
This may come in handy if one wants to sell their bike and the buyer does not like the idea of non-stock suspension ( what do they know anyway).

To make it easier for installation/removal of the parts. The tripple tree can be assembled/disassemble without the need of pressing the parts in and out.

The Kdx setup would remain in tact, although the KX stem would need pressing out at first and would require pressing back in if KX TT needed to be returned to stock. KDX setup coud be re-mounted wihtout visiting a machinist.

Cheaper than purchasing another KDX stem, knurling, and pressing.

Weight, hahahha, under 1 lb. I bet if aluminium is used.

And of course, for me anyway, the fun, the challenge and the neato-ness right-onness of it all.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Here's my thoughts......

I sold my KDX forks and wheel to recoup most of the cost of the conversion.

And "B" :wink: I wouldn't sell my KDX to someone who couldn't appreciate all the mods and love I have put into it! :mrgreen:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

What about the 1 lb. weight difference??? :rolleyes:

This way you could sell your TT too!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Actually, I sold the top clamp that will work for 89-92 KDX's to m0rie so he could have rubber mounted bar with adjustment instead of the solid non-adjustable mounts.

And the bottom I could sell to you to melt down and make a 1lb stem! :mrgreen:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Actually, I sold the top clamp that will work for 89-92 KDX's to m0rie so he could have rubber mounted bar with adjustment instead of the solid non-adjustable mounts.
Which works absolutely bitch'n btw.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Phil,

If you want to try making an '03 stem, I can send you my '03 KX 125 triple tree.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

Yeah that sounds like a good idea Mike, T-roy's TT is the same year also so you may be able to split the shipping cost, unless he is wanting to ship his TT also, but it may be cheaper to have a shop press out the old one and have me ship the piece (s) afterwards.

I will keep you updated on my setup, once it is completed I will gladly do both of yours.

I personnaly think the easiest way to do this is make several stems that work for your TT and if anyone wants that stem I can ship it to them. They can then have the old one pressed out and blah-blah.

I'll PM you my Postal Code so you can get an approx. figure for shipping, make certain it is worth it to you.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Phil,
are you going to make these out of steel or aluminum?

If aluminum... what grade? And hollow or solid billet?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****