Stock suspension settings?

Got questions? We got answers....
Scrandy

Stock suspension settings?

Post by Scrandy »

Hey wondering the stock suspension settings for my 220. When I bought the bike the guy selling it told me he had the suspension as low as it would go so he could see if his son could fit on it.(but the bike ended up being to big even with the suspension lowered so he sold it to me.) I think what he actually did was soffen it all the way so I just turned the screws to stiffin the ride. But my suspension is set horribly right now so i'd just like to at least get it back to stock for the time being. Thanks
2004 KDX220R. I'm Canadian eh.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Stock suspension settings?

Post by KDXGarage »

Set sag on shock.

Run forks all the way down in the tubes.

Set clickers around 10-ish.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

A service manual would be a good idea.
Setting the forks and shock settings (the clickers) doesn't necessarily lower the bike. Go to Jeff Fredette's website for a good primer on suspension settings. Search this site or Google for how to st sag. Easy but VERY important. 2+ on lowering the fork tubes in the triple clamps. These bikes turn quickly already. If the forks have been raised i the clamps much it can get out of hand.
Enjoy the bike!
Willbilly

Post by Willbilly »

Have you tried google?
Scrandy

Post by Scrandy »

Hey thanks for the help. When you say lower the forks in the clamp wouldn't that raise the suspension? Or did you mean slide the forks up closer to the bars to lower the front of the bike? I will set my sag and a manual is something I will be getting soon.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Stock position is with the fork tubes mounted as far down as they will go in the triple clamps.

Do you have the stock rear linkage pull rods or some height altering ones?

Was the shock or forks shortened internally?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
doakley
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by doakley »

Scrandy wrote:Hey thanks for the help. When you say lower the forks in the clamp wouldn't that raise the suspension? Or did you mean slide the forks up closer to the bars to lower the front of the bike? I will set my sag and a manual is something I will be getting soon.
Yes, it will raise the front end. Small movements of the forks can make a big difference in turning and stability. I would lower the forks until only the fork cap itself is above the top of the upper triple clamp, like Jason said, back to stock position. I am assuming the PO didn't actually have the bike lowered by altering the linkage or shortening the forks internally.
Scrandy

Post by Scrandy »

Hey, forks are already mounted all the way down. Pretty sure the bike was bone stock when I bought it. Even had the stock piston which also had a nice crack in it hahaha but don't know about suspension. I don't have another KDX to compare to. It appears stock anyways.
two-stroke-brit
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by two-stroke-brit »

Scrandy wrote:Hey, forks are already mounted all the way down. Pretty sure the bike was bone stock when I bought it. Even had the stock piston which also had a nice crack in it hahaha but don't know about suspension. I don't have another KDX to compare to. It appears stock anyways.
The stock linkages are 112.5 between centers and have this dim stamped into the middle ,
should be easy to see if you can look under with a flashlite.
She might not be pretty but always a fun ride !