KX to KDX Rear Suspension Swap

Got questions? We got answers....
johnkdx220
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by johnkdx220 »

Key Dee Exer: Because I have USD fork, I find the geometry OK on the MX track. I wish I was 5'10, not 5'7 for the trail riding. The KDX connaisseurs immediately notice that my bike is on high heals.

Skipro: Yep, bolted right on.... Procedure: 1) bring the spring to the top of the tread to remove tension, 2) install the top mount first (with extra washer on each side), 3) With the bike leaning on its right side, extend the swingarm and install lower links 5) set the sag (spring 3/4 up the tread). Nothing hits.

What do you mean by "angle of the chain VERY wrong". Sure, its not like with the kdx shock but I didn't notice or witness any mechanil problems

More pictures to come during the annual winter deconstruction (in two weeks) For now, here the kdxhorse (214) (PL and Kdxquebec in the background).
KDX220 (RB'd, EFM Autoclutch, FMF Rev, KX front end... Crash proofed and crash tested tOO often !)
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

STINKBUG, I called it first. :mrgreen:

What sag are you running??
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

The rear of your bike is amazingly high. You can tell just how much by looking at the kdx in the background. Like Jason i'm curious how much sag your running.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

A photo of the other side where the chain is, while on a bike stand would be great! Then the angle the chain is at over the swingarm between the two sprokets would show what I was concerned about.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
johnkdx220
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by johnkdx220 »

Stinkbug ? ... must be an inside joke....

Free Sag = very little, almost none. (I do most of the riding at the local MX track which is hard packed clay.)

Like I said, I LOVE the way the KX shock performs on the MX track but dislike the overall bike height in the trails. Considering that I did the swap for 0$, I am tempted to make or buy lowering links. Your opinion please (other than the obvious "buy a used kdx shock on ebay and revalve it...")

What do you think?
KDX220 (RB'd, EFM Autoclutch, FMF Rev, KX front end... Crash proofed and crash tested tOO often !)
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I'd like to see how that would turn out with lowering links.

It is an interesting setup to say the least. Looks wicked.... :twisted:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

A stinkbug is a black beatle bug. When threatened, it raises it's hind end up and lowers it's head. Some can spray a chemica,l not unlike a skunk, to deter from being eaten. Others just ooze a droplet of stink out and anything touching the bug ends up smelling bad.
The reference to your bike is that the hind end is kicked up like a stink bug in relation to the front end. Not a derogitory term, just a comparison for a visual reference.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

It's a term I heard over 20 years ago about a bike that is rear end high. Looking at the distance on your buddy's right side panel's lower rear corner to his rear tire compared to yours looks like a huge difference.

Have you considered seeking out a local suspension tuner to have the shock lowered?

On the MX track, perhaps you are enjoying the KX valving more than other KX shock associated features.

Getting it lowered or using different length rods is going to change the rising ratio to something even different than it already is. I would be curious to see short rods and a long shock.
johnkdx220
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by johnkdx220 »

Thanks for the Stinkbug definition. Always amazed about the number of things than can be learnt on this forum...

I'll play with different set-up this winter and probably end-up making my own lowering links. I'll post some before and after pictures. I'll have to consider many things: total wheel raise (I don't want it to hit the fender/air box), swingarm clearance... and chain alignment! Its going to be fun. If nothing works, well, I'll visit ebay for a kdx shock and dig for $$$ for a rebuild and revalve job.

My new graphics for the side panels:

johnkdx220
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by johnkdx220 »

Winter is here and its now time for the yearly maintenance/rebuild process.

You may remember that my stinkbug has a kx 250 2001 rear suspension (see above) and that the rear end is too high for easy trail riding.

So, I bought a 2sq ft 1/4 steel plate at the local machine shop ($10US) and made lowering suspension links. I have enough material to make 10+ other links… hummm business opportunity…) Kouba links sell for $75

For the record: with the KX suspension, a 122.5mm "center to center" link will lower the seat height by 2 inches (measured at the far back of the seat). Free sag: 1 in, Race sag, 2.5 inch.

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Is the lower-rear area of the shock spring hitting the swingarm?
johnkdx220
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by johnkdx220 »

Nope, lots of clearance there. It should be noted that the spring has to be rotated in the right position. Otherwise, because the kx spring is larger, it will slightly rub on the engine case where the swingarm pivot bolt crosses over (only on the fully extended position).
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Any chance it may be because the shock is not in proper alignment?
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Can you make em shorter ?? Would that work in raising the rear an inch or so to re-balance the front end with KX forks ??

What I really need is to probably lower my pegs. The problem I have being sooooo TALL is that when I'm standing I can't grip my bike with my knees because my knees are too high and miss the seat (and it's a bit hard to grip with your shins). Any ideas or tips would be great. :mrgreen:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
johnkdx220
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by johnkdx220 »

Jason: The shock is indeed out of alignment... only because it was -10C outside and I quickly installed the linkages for picture purposes. There is no alignement problem when everything is bolted/torqued properly.

KayDeeExer: Shorter links would definitively raise the rear. Try it! (hint: before you start cutting and grinding steel, you should cut lowering links out of plastic material (take your wifes' kitchen cutting board :razz: ). 30 minutes of your time will be required if you have a rotozip and a 15mm drill bit.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

>|<>QBB<
KAY DEE EXER wrote:Can you make em shorter ?? Would that work in raising the rear an inch or so to re-balance the front end with KX forks ??

What I really need is to probably lower my pegs. The problem I have being sooooo TALL is that when I'm standing I can't grip my bike with my knees because my knees are too high and miss the seat (and it's a bit hard to grip with your shins). Any ideas or tips would be great. :mrgreen:
Also, some tall seat foam would help you too Trev! :razz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Indawoods wrote:Also, some tall seat foam would help you too Trev! :razz:
Itsa coming... Well it's actually gathering dust in Jerry's rafters but I should have it 'all' soon.

'All' being;

RB head
RB A/S with finger screw and allen bolts
Tall seat foam and cover
IMS pro series pegs
If I have forgotten anything you can keep it Jerry. :wink:

That's if Brad, Jerry and Marc aren't all partying off the profits. :wink: :partyman:

I am hoping to get some looooong seal savers and Maier rear guard also. :mrgreen:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You might have a hard time getting those pegs on the plane... they look like a weapon! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Gotta love USPS !!! :mrgreen: :supz:

cmot

Post by cmot »

Hey Phil,

What you have may be different from my 1990 KDX. But the 1989 KX shock and swing arm are a direct bolt up to the kdx. Its 1 inch longer and the swingarm is about 1.5 in. longer. Everyone I talk to even with the newer dx's complain of rear softness stock. But you have to realize I'm talking 200 lbs + riders. When I was under 200 I had no complaint with the shock. What I did is run the 89 KX forks a little higher in the clamps and run an extra .5 in of rear sag.
This kept the bike balance even and only raised the bike .5 to .75 in's.
It also gives a great ability for adjusting angles for different terrains. But it handles everything I throw at it . I found myself getting lazy, thinking why stand up to assorb that same bump when I don't even feel it sitting down now.
Given a preference I would put inverted forks on but I lucked into a 89 KX rolling frame that was stripped for a gocart engine so the whole bike was like brand new.
I have a 92 KX but just about eveything was just a little off on it. IE linkage, dogbones, swing arm spacing ect. To sum up if your heavier or very aggressive rider then a KX shock should work great. But you still need something better up front too. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just bury me when I can't ride anymore...