Need help, no run, electrical, flywheel?

Got questions? We got answers....
El Gran Jamon

Post by El Gran Jamon »

Hi all,
Have a weird one. Recently bought a 1990 plated kdx. Haven't had but 2 good rides on it after I did top end. Lot of potential. A couple months back bike died in local mountains. Electrical . I figured stator.I didn't have time to fix or a flywheel puller so dropped it off at a local KTM dealer I trusted. Sure enough, the stator was bad, 17 ohms or so in ignition side. They put in new stator. Couldn't get ithe started. They checked carb, seems to kick back when started but won't run. Dealer did everything he knew to do. (Except open the manual I sent )
I suspect the stator (electro sport) is wired in incorrect or something simple. I need to know how to get the flywheel off to look at it and go from there?

Thanks

~Jamon'
Chilly

Re: Need help, no run, electrical, flywheel?

Post by Chilly »

Order the fly wheel pulled from Amazon or rocky mountain
atv. If it's out of time it can cause the kick back problem. I just recently had the same issue. Stator coil bad ignition coil bad. Now my bike is running very well.
El Gran Jamon

Post by El Gran Jamon »

Thanks,
What size, and the tool to hold with the two holes? Also how do I know if it is timed right? I do have the electronic copy of the manual but not familiar
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

here's how to make your own timing light: http://www.dragonfly75.com/motorbike/timinglight.html
this page shows the timing curve: http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/KDXCDI.html
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
El Gran Jamon

Post by El Gran Jamon »

Thankw,
Looks like an interesting product.
Chilly

Post by Chilly »

There are timing marks on the stator coil plate and 2 on the case. Scratch a Mark on the plate and on the case before you remove the stator plate. You can either make the light tester or do it the old fashion way. Keep pulling your fly wheel off and slightly move the plate until your bike starts running good. Heads up if you order a coil from Rick stator it could be bad. I just went through this with my bike.
El Gran Jamon

Post by El Gran Jamon »

Thanks for the tio, read your thread, waiting on the puller to arrive..hope it's simple.
El Gran Jamon

Post by El Gran Jamon »

Ok,
Checked thingsnout, getting the backfire issue 1990kdxsd was getting. I diagnosed the motosport stator replacement, wires are as they should, the coil though is at 800 ohms, not the 304-456 ohms in manual. Ignition coil checks out at 1k and 6k. Found a disconnected spark plug wire at the clamp, that's fixed.

I assume I too have something wrong with the coil causing a timing issue? Not Ricky stator but electro sports?
El Gran Jamon

Post by El Gran Jamon »

Got it running. Thanks for contribution s.
El Gran Jamon

Post by El Gran Jamon »

Ran it 40 miles, after getting new coil. New cool is now down ton240 ohms..

Suggestions?
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

if it was reading 800 and now 240 ohms then there is an error on your part. Coils don't change resistance unless they are shorting out which I doubt a new coil would do. And if there was an internal short then it wouldn't generate enough voltage at low RPM to make a spark.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
El Gran Jamon

Post by El Gran Jamon »

Thanks for the reply. No, checked things well. New coil burned up. No shorts, step up coil checks out as well. Appears bad insulation, some such. Vendor will take back no problem or give me a new.

Question now is, are manufacturer stator much better than aftermarket? I don't want to push this bike again. I may sell it if I can't depend on it in far away places like my xr's..

Jaguar, thanks for the input, I read your site. Looking at your cdi schematics told me the cdi was sensitive to polarity, which made me check and realize first coil was backwards, hence being out of phase and no kicking back instead of starting.